Military career all done!!!!

Started by davidlt89, June 04, 2007, 08:44:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidlt89

QuoteAfter 38 years it was time for me to hang up the spurs.

that is a long time! (at least to me). I had an uncle who did 38 in the air force. which branch did you serve?
As for what I am going to do now, not sure, it will seem odd not having to work that weekend, but I will manage. I don't know the last time I got to go out on the first day of deer season!!! It will be nice having this extra weekend with my boys. they seem to be growing up awful fast, I hate it when I have to miss any of it:D .
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

kombi1976

Good to hear you are out of it if the 'Guard is being mobilised overseas.
My father was a long serving officer in the Army Reserve here in Oz and retired after 28 years with rank of Lt Colonel.
I have major health problems and this prevented me from following him, something I regret, as he enjoyed his long years as an officer.
I don't think he misses being away from home on weekends though.
By the end when he was CO of 2/17th Battalion, Royal NSW Regiment, it wasn't "one weekend a month", it was more like "one weekend at home a month" or less!
But you have surely done your duty and more.
Congrats and enjoy.
I often think that it would do my country good if all of our young people had to do a year's national service like young men and women in Israel and many of the Scandinavian countries have to.
Promotes fitness and self discipline, not to mention a knowledge of safe use of firearms.
And as someone who has specific health problems but thinks they should not be a bar to serving your country I reckon even those with problems that would keep them from serving in the Regulars should serve in one way or another  for that year.
But I'm off thread here.
There is one thing we will be expecting though, Dave........more hunt reports since you have plenty of time on your hands. :D
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

davidlt89

QuoteThere is one thing we will be expecting though, Dave........more hunt reports since you have plenty of time on your hands. :D
I will see what I can do, but more time does not necessarilly = more hunting with the missus! when my boys get older you can expect plenty of reports:D

I finally got my retirement letter yesterday!!!! going to get a frame and hang it! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

kombi1976

Quote from: davidlt89more time does not necessarilly = more hunting with the missus
You don't have to take your missus; you can hunt by yourself if you like. :greentongue:
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

Steve D

I want to add my thanks for a job well done and congratulations on your new status.  I've been off active duty since 2001 and it still seems like only yesterday.  Military time seems to be the times you hate while you're there, but remember with a sort of fondness for the sense of teamwork.
You\'re just jealous because the voices only talk to me.  :yes:

Tags: