Scope clearance issues

Started by Charlemagne70, January 23, 2009, 06:48:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlemagne70

Greetings,

While trying to set-up my Christmas present, a Leupold Rifleman 3-9X 40 scope on my beloved PH 1200, I noticed some problems with the bolt handle vs eye piece clearance. The bolt handle barely clears it and might even touch it if there's any sideward movement. I followed Leupolds mount selector advice and installed med height extension STD rings on Mauser mounts.

Is this normal?
What should I do?

Regards,
Chris

rockinbbar

I'd go to a "high" ring, if you have the eye relief set right, & the scope is low enough to bother you.

I typically like the lower mounts, but if it has clearance issues, go higher.

Barry
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

gitano

I'm not sure "height" is the issue RBB. I think it is the angle of the bolt handle and the diameter of the ocular (the part of hte 'scope nearest the eye). If my assumption is correct, higher rings might actually exacerbate the problem, as then the bolt knob might actually hit the ocular. Of course if that's NOT the issue then higher rings may be called for.

I had a similar issue with one of my rifles recently, and short of modifying the bolt handle or changing 'scope to one with a smaller ocular, I don't hink there's much that can be done. In my case, I just decided to "live with" the closeness of the fit. As long as the handle doesn't actually contact the 'scope's ocular. The only real problem is the "ease" (or lack thereof) of cycling the bolt quickly. On my rifle, I tried it a couple of times and was satsfied that there was no "fatal" flaw in the operation.

This is another good reason for "scout-type" 'scope mounts.

Older 'scopes, the ones that were around when this PH was made, generally did not have the larger oculars of today's scopes. Large objectives allow more light in, but large oculars increase the "pupil" size. Increased "pupil" size means more of the light that goes through the 'scope actually can get to the retina. Put another way, your 'scope can "gather" a great amount of light, but if it must put it through a small pupil, your retina isn't going to get all the light "gathered" by that big objective.

If what the problem is, isn't clear, maybe Charlemagne could post a picture of the issue.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Hello Chris. You've got to remember, as Paul stated, the 1200 was made during a time of much smaller scopes especially the eye piece size. You can do several things. First, pick up an older Leupold Vari X 2 or period Redfield on Ebay:no:  as they are smaller by nearly 1/10 inch. Or you can have a gunsmith reforge the bolt at a cost of 50 to 100 bucks :no: or......you can do what I did. Stone out about 1/8 inch with a dremmel and re-polish. See pics. PM me if you have more questions.:jumpingsmiley: No one will ever know and I think the sleeker bolt handle looks better than factory. My 25-06 now clears a Zeiss 3x19x50 easily. Regards, Rick
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Charlemagne70

Thanks for the input guys,

Rick, thats exacly the kind of work I had in mind (grinding down the handle). Altough I was thinking more of reshaping the handle knob than the handle itself, I think your suggestion is wiser since its the handle thats causing the problem. Well, I might even do both.

And since it's somebody that appreciate vintage rifle that's making the suggestion, my concerns about altering the rifle's original condition are gone. I'm more of a thinkerer than a collector anyway.

I'll try to post pictures of the rifle over the week-end, and maybe even consult Brithunter on the year of the proofmark if I can't find it on the Parker Hale forum.

Regards,
Chris

ForneyRider

Burris and Leupold have fit charts on their sites.

http://www2.leupold.com/resources/MountFitChart/default.asp

http://www.burrisoptics.com/mountchart1.html

I think the Interarms Mark X is a good match.
When all is said and done, there is a lot more said than done.

sakorick

Quote from: ForneyRider;89170Burris and Leupold have fit charts on their sites.

http://www2.leupold.com/resources/MountFitChart/default.asp

http://www.burrisoptics.com/mountchart1.html

I think the Interarms Mark X is a good match.
Sorry FR.....not a good match for the super. The difference is night and day. The Interarms bolt is modern, swept back and forged totally different from the Parker Hale which was a true 98 Mauser bolt dressed up. I lined up 3 different bolts as near as I could and took this picture. Clearly, the Interarms bolt will provide the most clearance while the Parker Hale bolt provides the least clearance with a forged K98 somewhere in between. Regards, Rick.

Charlemagne70

Well,

I agree with Rick, FR; I did look into Leupold's mount selector and bought medium height 1'' STD extension rings and  FN bases.

Sorry for the delayed input, very busy week-end. If I get a chance to modify the handle anytime soon, I'll pull the thread back up with pictures.

Regards,
Chris

noel

I'm running a 3x9x50 bushnell on my 1200.it's on top of a set of kwik mount see throughs.if the scope height isn't uncomfortable,it provides just enough clearance for bolt movement.you just don't have room to be sloppy with your hand.the action on them ,at least mine is so smooth that only requires the side of my finger and the pad of my thumb to operate.of course practice makes a big difference.mine had a scope mounted when I bought it,I just upsized it.I'm not sure but I don't think the handle was ever modified.
Better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it!
member;National Fiirearms Assocciation
Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters
gun owners of Canada
North American Hunting Club

Charlemagne70

Noel,

Do you mean that the bolt knob is under the occular ? Do you have any pictures?I'll post some pics tonight if I can figure how to.

I'm rethinking the whole thing now, It seems reforging (or changing) the handle is the only solution since its the knob itself and a small part of the handle that is too close to the occular to allow a proper grasp of the knob. I'd still have to maneuvre it with my fingertips.

Regards,
Chris

sakorick

Hello Charlemagne70. If you don't mind the super tall mounts then that is a solution. I just can't shoot good with them. Send me your bolt and I'll do the same thing to yours as I did to mine. You pay shipping. Regards, Rick.

Charlemagne70

Thanks for your generosity Rick, But I'd be missing out on all the fun if I didn't do the work myself.

Well, I finally got time to take some pictures and I even went so far as doig the file work to clear the scope. Her is a before picture and two of the finished (all thats missing is the polishing) handle.

Regards,
Chris

gitano

That's looks quite well-done Chris. Can we assume this solves the problem?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

Heck of a job Chris, good going. God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

sakorick

Now that's what I'm talking about. I like the extra bolt knob feature.....outstanding job.....perfect. :grin: Regards, Rick.

Tags: