Re:At last!

Started by 12 gauge, January 02, 2005, 11:58:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

12 gauge

About the pictures with the elk, finally got them developed lol!

Here they are! With my european mount..
"I only hunt and fish on days that end in \'Y\'"- 12 gauge

rockinbbar

Cool, 12 Ga!

Keep up the good work with your hunting. Glad you got the deer a few days ago too.

Rockinbbar
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

12 gauge

I realize yall were unpatient to see how my father's elk mount went, so well i posted it lol!

I have a few more i am about to upload, so stand by to see more pictures of this big daddy!

I am happy i got that doe too! too bad i don't have pictures of her, after we skinned her, then i realized i forgot the pictures with me and her...oh well..i will remember the moment anyhow...

I will post more on the elk..:D

Kit

YAY!
 Glad to see these!
 thanks for posting them

I have a Neapolitan Mastiff here hanging over the keyboard that is trying to see them.  Do these photos have scent on them?

;)

Blessings
 ~Kit

12 gauge

No because if they did they'd smell gross!

that day that me and my dad where sitting on my elk...(picture right here...) to be honest, during the photo i tried to smile, and i guess i managed, but after and before the photo, OMG! i thought i was about to throw up! my face looked like i ate something sour! lol! My father's too! lol!

What it is, and what i learned about elk (i've been studying and learning about each animal so that i can be as good as yall at hunting) is that they urinate on theirselves to attract mates (imagine a human male trying that lol :rolleyes: :eek: ) and since my elk was about 2-3 years old at the time, he's been through some mighty old urinating..they urinate all down their legs and up their chest and to their neck! and i was holding the head up! :p It smelled rotten! At the time it wasn't gutted or anything, we had just recovered it in the woods. We gutted it with the skinning racks that they use to hold up deer and such. It was almost like a old day frame for a guillotine, instead of the blade and such it had hooks to hold up the elk (you know the usual) and the guide took a wheel barrel and put the guts in that lol! (that's a lot of guts!)

Well i am glad i finally posted these and got them off of my list of things to do, and i knew you guys were eager to see these. Well I posted them ;)

God bless :D

12 gauge

Quote from: 12 gaugeAbout the pictures with the elk, finally got them developed lol!

Here they are! With my european mount..

here's the third, showing the mouth open and all!

Brithunter

Hi All,

Nice mounts.

The urinating thing, well All Red Deer do that and the American Elk is one of the Red Deer. I have considered going up to Scotland on a Red Stag hunt but the prices kind of put me off:frown  I will see if I can't find some place up there that doesn't want an arm and a leg for a hunt. I have been looking lately but most places want to book parties or want you to shoot several Stags and at the prices that are charged I cannot afford that:o  perhaps I could if I really saved stretch to two. So I have been considering an Elk hunt and have been doing the rounds of outfitters sites, looks like I may have to learn to ride for that thouhg. I have never been on a horse and o lot of places use them to get in and out of the hunting areas it seems.

A mount the size of your fathers would not fit in my small apartment, I would have to do the Eruopean Mount with just the skull like yours to have any hope of fitting it in. My shoulder Mount of my Whitetail is going to take up enough room as it is once it gets here.

Hey Kit,

How about a photo of that Neo?  They are beautiful Dogs! a friend wanted one to go with his English Bull Mastiff, but then firgured it was not fair on his wife, after all Buster his Bull Mastiff had a neck as big as her waist and he was away from home sometimes and knew if they played up she couldn't cope. We went up the Crufts show to meet the breeders and look at them. Awsome dogs. Makes My Staffordshire Bull terrier seem like a lap dog:D
Go Get them Floyd!

12 gauge

Oh trust me we had trouble getting that thing in the window! rather into the house!

We had to take out the basement windows in order to fit it in..

Thanks for editing and fixing that for me Jay, i appreciate it! ;)

RatherBHuntin

Beautiful mounts, both of them.  And to think we only waited 3 months for those pics.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Kit

Quote from: 12 gauge... they'd smell gross! ... i tried to smile... what i learned about elk (i've been studying and learning about each animal so that i can be as good as yall at hunting) is that they urinate on theirselves to attract mates
This is also why Billy Goats smell so bad.  And why wethers don't...but I never heard of wethered (neutered male) deer or elk...  :rolleyes:  catch, fix, and release like a feral cat?  LOL.

Does the buck /bull meat taste ...umm...strong because of it?  I don't know any one who'd eat a Billy Goat.  That's why we wethered them!

As for people, if you ever see a cute little (rather short) book called "Why Dogs Are Better Than Men" - peruse it a few minutes for a chuckle.  The last chapter is titled, "Why Men are Better Than Dogs"

It might be feminist...   ;)

~Kit

Kit

Quote from: BrithunterHey Kit,

How about a photo of that Neo?
He's not as fierce as 12 Gauge's Beagle, tho!

Brithunter

Hi Kit,

He is a handsome fella:) that smokey grey colour is wonderful, sorry to say that a Neopolitan is just too big for my small place:( J-D here takes up enough room and he only weighs 53lbs not the 153+ that your Neo weighs:D :-

A seasonal picture of J-D taking a few Christmas's ago. No snow this year:confused:
Go Get them Floyd!

12 gauge

Quote from: KitThis is also why Billy Goats smell so bad. And why wethers don't...but I never heard of wethered (neutered male) deer or elk... :rolleyes: catch, fix, and release like a feral cat? LOL.

Does the buck /bull meat taste ...umm...strong because of it? I don't know any one who'd eat a Billy Goat. That's why we wethered them!

As for people, if you ever see a cute little (rather short) book called "Why Dogs Are Better Than Men" - peruse it a few minutes for a chuckle. The last chapter is titled, "Why Men are Better Than Dogs"

It might be feminist... ;)

~Kit
lol, no it doesn't affect the taste of the meat. Rather that we cook it and wash it before serving ;) :D :p

and plus when they urinate on theirselves it doesn't go into the body cavity and affect the meat, it stays on their thick and huge hide (skin). Their hide is thick though! Our guide was having a bit of trouble skinning ours and he even showed how thick it was, it was like 1-2 inches thick! No wonder why i got my 30-30 bullet back!

(just to let you know when i shot my bull elk with the 30-30 it penetrated both lungs and both ribs but got caught in the elks thick hide on the other side and stayed there. There was a "knot" in the skin where the bullet was, sure enough the guide cut it and i kept my bullet as a gift, lol! i tried to offer it to my mom for a little gift, but she didn't take it lol! it still had some meat on it and blood, so i washed it, came out as a perfect mushroom!)

Quote from: RatherBHuntinBeautiful mounts, both of them. And to think we only waited 3 months for those pics.
Yeah, sorry for the long wait...i had to find my stupid camera there for a while, then finally found it, then had to take the pictures which took one night, and then had to wait several weeks to get it developed (mom's been working and so has dad..) and then took about a week to finally pick them up!

But hey it's good and done and now you see them ;) :cool: :) :p

Quote from: KitHe's not as fierce as 12 Gauge's Beagle, tho!
ROTFLMRO! :D :D :D :D ;) ;) ;) ;) :p :p :p :p

She's pretty fierce when she wants to be ;)

Brithunter

Hi All,

The taste of any Male Deer in the Rut is different to one which is not in Rut, it's all to do with the Hormones, it taints the flesh making it stronger tasting which is one reason why a lot of folks prefer Doe meat to eat. I am assuming that Goats are the same though never having had Goat or hunted them I cannot be sure I do know that mature male Billies do stink, I had one try to get into  the van with me and my last Staffie. Some one had obvioulsy dumped the Poor Goat and it attached itself to me and the dog. I had to pull it out of the cab by the Horns:rolleyes:  Never did hear what happened to it, I reported it and the wardens were going out to collect it and said they would let me know.

No matter how fierce a Beagle may be, I's rather deal with a Beagle than a Neopolitan which was slightly annoyed. The Beagle you could hold down, I wouldn't like to try that with the Neo though, especially as they can weigh as much as I do. No Sir Nice Doggie:D
Go Get them Floyd!

12 gauge

Quote from: BrithunterHi All,

The taste of any Male Deer in the Rut is different to one which is not in Rut, it's all to do with the Hormones, it taints the flesh making it stronger tasting which is one reason why a lot of folks prefer Doe meat to eat. I am assuming that Goats are the same though never having had Goat or hunted them I cannot be sure I do know that mature male Billies do stink, I had one try to get into the van with me and my last Staffie. Some one had obvioulsy dumped the Poor Goat and it attached itself to me and the dog. I had to pull it out of the cab by the Horns:rolleyes: Never did hear what happened to it, I reported it and the wardens were going out to collect it and said they would let me know.

No matter how fierce a Beagle may be, I's rather deal with a Beagle than a Neopolitan which was slightly annoyed. The Beagle you could hold down, I wouldn't like to try that with the Neo though, especially as they can weigh as much as I do. No Sir Nice Doggie:D
Lol you ain't gonna be able to hold down that massive beast! ;) :p  she weighs maybe at least 45 pounds! That's huge for a beagle! and she is strong! trying to give her a bath and i have a hussle!

Remember, size doesn't count...

Tags: