Coyote in the wrong place

Started by Paul Hoskins, April 02, 2008, 12:51:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Hoskins

Monday, a week ago, (Mar. 24) I got up early and fed the squirrels and birds at daylight. Shortly after that, the young redtail hawk showed up to see if I had killed any starlings for him. While watching him I noticed he was giving something the eye up the RR tracks behind the house. A few minutes later a shabby looking coyote came down the RR fence line in the old game trail. It disappeared in the brush and I figured it would show on the tracks. Looked at the hawk and he was still staring at it. Picked up the Savage 17 HRM which I keep in the dining room just for such ocassions. The coyote popped it's head over the rails and stared right back at me through the scope. How it spotted me so quick standing still in the doorway with the patio door opened just a crack I'll never understand. Just as I put the crosshairs on it's neck and touched the trigger it turned away but I was already comitted. I forgot the Savage has an Accutrigger when I touched it and it threw me off for a fraction of a second.

Anyway at the shot, the coyote humped up as I saw hair fly and it dropped like a sack of mud. It immediately got to it's feet and disappeared behind tthe rails and the RR bank. I looked back at the hawk and he was watching it depart. Shortly I went back there with my camera and carry gun but couldn't find it anywhere within the brushy area. Yesterday I saw buzzards back in the open field eating on something where I took the picture of the turkey. They were back again today. I took my camera and went to investigate. Found the coyote about 25 yards out of the woods in the open field. The coyote travelled about 75 yards before kicking the bucket. The shot was about 75 yards. It appears the bullet hit just behind the right shoulder as the coyote turned. Won't happen again like that. I brought the old 223 Contender into the dining room for such ocassions. ..............Paul H

RatherBHuntin

Paul,
Good riddance, either way it's dead, whether ir fell right over or not.  That's about what I've heard about the 17 HMR, it will do the trick, just not as fast.  I think that's why Greg likes the .204
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

rockinbbar

Glenn, you got it wrong...Greg has switched back to the .17 HMR for it's awesome stopping power...:D
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Alboy

Good deal on the yote,

Reminds of the manged up one Adrian shot a while back at our place. We were out there last saturday and checked on it where it had fallen. the buzzards have not even touched it. that must be some nasty dog.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

davidlt89

looks like you did that dog a favor paul!!! Good shooting, God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Daryl (deceased)

Quote from: Alboy;76712Good deal on the yote,

Reminds of the manged up one Adrian shot a while back at our place. We were out there last saturday and checked on it where it had fallen. the buzzards have not even touched it. that must be some nasty dog.

Ever skinned one?  It is.

I have a buddy that wanted to eat one once.  He picked out a nice fat one that he shot off of an apple orchard.  Must have been hungry for rabbit instead of apples for breakfast, and he shot it when it came in hard.

He skinned it, cleaned it up, and cooked it.  Then he chewed on it for a while, but couldn't get it down.  Never was able to eat a single bite of it.

And some of the things I've seen him eat, I'd have sworn he could eat anything.  He's heard of people claiming to have eaten it, but he says if he can't get it down, NOBODY can.

Me, well I'll take his word for it.  They're nasty, greasy, smelly meat for sure.  I don't blame the buzzards one bit.  I've only seen a few that would pick at a coyote carcass here in Arizona, and I figure they must have been pretty hungry.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Gmoney

Barry and Glenn...
Ya'll kill me....grin...

Paul, good choice on getting a real killer.  What you experienced happens to so, so many poor souls out there who still will defend the most overutilized and abused cartridge out there, the .17HMR...
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

rockinbbar

That IS nasty....:(

I know who it is too!:)

RatherBHuntin

Barry, I wasn't sure Greg was gonna take the bait. Looks like you called him right in and nailed him though, good shot:bowdown:
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

rockinbbar

OH! That's one of Gregs favorite subjects! ;)

Paul Hoskins

I wouldn't touch anything that looked like that coyote did. Even the buzzards have only pecked at openings like the eyes, mouth and openings at the other end. It does look like they pecked a little at the bullet hole in the ribs behind the shoulder. I don't bother skinning any coyotes any more unless it is an exceptionally pretty one. I think the bullet exploded on the ribs and possibly went into the intestines. I'm not impressed with the 17HRM but I dislike anything Hornady makes including loading presses, dies and bullets. The little Contender carbine likes Hornady Varmint Express cartridges with the 55 gr. bullet. The old farm behind the house has good hunting on it but no trees to speak of. Deer all over the place as well as turkeys and coyotes. The old retired dentist that owns it doesn't allow anyone but family and friends hunting there. He has no friends but will let me hunt groundhogs and coyotes only. When the deer and turkey cross the RR tracks into my back yard, they're my game then. One day I saw seven coyotes back there at one time. Only got one before they disappeared. I have a picture somewhere of 14 deer in the same frame made right in the field behind the house. The young hawk is about as sharp as cheese on a cracker but he sees everything going on around the house. He has eyes like a hawk. I like him. .............Paul H

Gmoney

I knew I was being baited and that ya'll would be disappointed if I didn't take it...
I was just doing ya'll a favor...grin...
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

Paul Hoskins

Greg, you gotta watch these guys. I suppose eating a coyote is much like a priest friend said about eating fried "mountain oysters" , you have to eat it with an open mind............Paul H

Daryl (deceased)

Quote from: rockinbbar;76722That IS nasty....:(

I know who it is too!:)

Uh huh, that's him.

QuoteOH! That's one of Gregs favorite subjects! ;)

One of mine too, but I finally gave it up with the fella here who wanted to hunt elk with his.  

;)

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

rockinbbar

You remember that guy too, huh? :D

gitano

Quote from: Gmoney;76721What you experienced happens to so, so many poor souls out there who still will defend the most overutilized and abused cartridge out there, the .17HMR...

Unh Hunh... unh hunh...

The only thing missing is the assertion that you can shoot fly wings off at 300 yds - my personal ethical limit by the way, for shooting at fly wings.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Gmoney

Forgot about the fly wings Paul...
-Greg

Antler3

Quote from: Paul Hoskins;76739Greg, you gotta watch these guys. I suppose eating a coyote is much like a priest friend said about eating fried "mountain oysters" , you have to eat it with an open mind............Paul H
Now lets not compare MNT. oysters with coyote.....everybody should know an ol' coyote is some nasty varmit not fit for eatin' but MNT oysters are fine table fare....
ANTLER 3

Paul Hoskins

Hello Antler, I wasn't comparing anything. Merely stating a priest's view of eating mountain oysters. I'll agree mountain oysters are delicious, regardless of what anyone might think. The priest viewed them in the same light after eating a few sandwiches.   ...........Paul H

Antler3

Okay I understand ya now. By the way, congrats on getting that yote !
ANTLER 3

Tags: