"Boar" gun

Started by gitano, October 02, 2009, 01:12:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

Paul, if you go here most of the French proof marks are listed. Your rifle looks like it has an originally circa 1897 proof. Regards, Rick. SIZE]

https://store.bluebookinc.com/Info/PDF/Firearm/Proofmarks.pdf
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

Thanks, fellas. Interesting. I'll have to pour over them to see what I can see.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

22hornet

I'm just catching up on this thread and it looks like you guys have done a great job on researching the markings on the gun.

Just a thought gitano, insead of paying out big dollars on a sizing die, have you thought about making up a vice die just to see if sizing solves your problem?
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

gitano

22hornet - I have indeed. However, I don't need to use a "vice die" as a few months back, I bought an old Lachmiller reloading press. The Lachmiller has the capability of using 7/8x14 dies (the "normal" ones), or, 1.25x12 dies - the size of shotgun and .50 BMG dies. And I can make those... sorta.

The issue for me is getting the inside polished as well as I would like. The brass shotgun cases are fairly 'precious'. Not so much because of cost ($19/25), but simply because of availability. They're fiarly difficult to get one's hands on whenever you want. The relevance of that is that a "rough" die scratches the case and with repeated firing, they fail sooner than those sized in 'smooth' dies. So it's one of those "pay me now, or pay me later" deals. I can "pay now" and get the dies commercially made, or make my own, and maybe "pay later" by havingto buy cases more often.

One thing I'm considering, is buying a reamer (or two) and make enough for the other 16 ga freaks out there that shoot brass-cased 16s, to cover my costs. I'll keep ya posted.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Brithunter

Or have you considered turning up some brass cases that fit your chamber?

The old NFDS cases were turned brass and providing you annealed them every so often lasted well.
Go Get them Floyd!

gitano

Prolly won't be turning any brass cases until MagTech runs out or I can't get them otherwise.

I talked with Dave Kiff at Pacific Tool and Gauge today, and I can get a 16 ga shotgun die reamer for the same price as a rifle chamber reamer - $147 - so I think that's what I'm going to do. I'll make a couple of extras, and see if the guys over at the 16 ga website are interested in getting a couple. Or here for that matter, I just don't see much interest in 16s here at THL.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

kombi1976

Now come on Paul.....aren't we all a little old to go chasing 16s. :D
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

Brithunter

Sorry Gitano,

Don't have any 16 Bores, the 20 bore is more popular here I think you'll find than the 16. Here in the UK it's 12, 20 then .410"

The price is bad enough for 20 Bore cartridges let alone 16 Bore and .410"'s are just crazy prices. I suppose part of the problem is that it's very difficult to almost impossible to have a rifled barrel for a shotgun here :( .
Go Get them Floyd!

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

Jorge in Oz

Paul check out the double rifle in 16G ball. Its a Henry Beckwith :undecided:

http://usedguns.com.au/used_guns_whats_new.html#whats%20new
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

kombi1976

Mmmm, nice, and the Pedersoli 9.3x74R above it.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

Jorge in Oz

Quote from: kombi1976;99163Mmmm, nice, and the Pedersoli 9.3x74R above it.

I like that Pedersoli also.
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

gitano

That's an intersting piece, Jorge. I don't recall ever having seen one in 16 before.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

Paul, I am bone lazy and do more thinking than doing so as to minimize the needed doing, also don't like to work brass more than necessary.
Have you thought of finding 14 ga wads from some of the European makers that could easily be reduced to the size you need or find some plastic or paper that you could wrap the 16 ga. stuff with to make it the correct size?
I have done several solutions in working with .410 brass cases which have the same problem of being oversize for regular .410 wads.
I settled on using .410 shot cup/ base wads with a slug that was big enough to expand the shot cup for a good fit, works fine for me.
I used wadcutters intended for 10mm/.40/.38-40.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

Alboy

http://www.circlefly.com/html/wad_sizing_chart.html

Try these folks for differnt size wads and cards. I have been using them for a long time and been happy
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Tags: