Spotlighting in my mate's VW Bug

Started by kombi1976, March 25, 2011, 09:54:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kombi1976

As most of you know I'm a hardened aircooled VW fan so the opportunity to go spotlighting in my good friend Carlyle's Bug was too appealing to turn down. Carlyle is a top guy but his current job has just about killed all oppotunities to hunt so it was the first time in years that he'd actually hunted.

We arrived at my friend's 1000 acre property around 9pm and began by seeking rabbits around the stockyards and machine sheds. Because of the long grass they were well hidden but due to some good shooting from my Anschutz using Rem Subsonics and Carlyle's Lithgow Mod 12 with Win Power Points we took a bunny each, a pleasing start.

We then headed out to look for other game. This property usually has copious amounts of hares but we next spied a fox in a smaller paddock. He was reticent and ran away from us despite our whistling. Finally when he was still over 200yds out and we could only see his eyes popping up and down on a log. I had my Sportco Martini Hornet with the usual load of 10gr of AR2205 behind a Nosler 40gr BT so, knowing the sighting was primarily for 100yds I sat the cross hairs above his head and squeezed. Both Carlyle and I heard that sweet sound, the "thunk!" that tells you the game is hit. Problem was I could still see it's eyes and it was a long way for the Hornet. So we went to check it out. Only 30yds away a shape was seen lying across the log like below....

This is exactly how the fox was found....barely a mark on him. As you can see I was very happy.

Here's a pic of the rifle responsible, the Sportco Martini Hornet....

Finally to show you how big this male was. You can see how long he was compared to me:

Well, more tomorrow about the night's shooting.....
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

kombi1976

And now, to continue. I almost forgot to post some pics of the car! No wonder though......I was literally falling asleep as I was typing this at 4:30am. Here we are fueling up and getting a coffee before going out last night.

Setting the car up for spotting:

Here's a view over the dash with some sheep in the distance:

We drove around for a while and spotted another fox but he was very cagey and keep moving away. Eventually we saw a hare running down the road. He wasn't going to stop so Carlyle nailed him as he loped away from us. Ya gotta love what a Nosler 105gr BT does from a 6.5x55.

By that time it was really late so we headed back. Last up I took this rabbit back near the sheds using my Hornet again. I LOVE this rifle.

So in the end only 3 bunnies, a fox and a hare but it was a very satisfying hunt and Carlyle hasn't been out in years so it was worth it.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

Alboy

Good times Ozboy. I'm jealous and glad for you
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Jamie.270

Cool pics Kombi.  
I can't imagine trying to extricate two full grown men from a Beetle, with long guns, in a hurry,...  I have seen a few hunting buggies built from them that had the doors removed and the top cut off though.  And the Manx fiberglass versions too.

What year is the bug?  It looks to be about a '65.  

Nice shooting btw.  Since the fox was so cleanly hit, are you going to do the pelt?
(I know there's step by step instructions for that around here somewhere!) ;)
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

kombi1976

Actually the Beetle was quite spacious, Jamie. If anything easier than my old Land Rover. It just lacked the same ground clearance and field of view being lower to the ground. My brother has a Manx-style buggy with a 2.5 litre Subaru motor which would be cool for spotting. As well as headlights it has 3 Cibie Super Oscars(!!:biggthumpup:) but he hasn't brung it down. Actually, I should invite him down one weekend and see if he wants to have a crack.
The Beetle is a '70 1500 tht started out as a Semi Auto gearbox model but it was replaced with a standard 4-speed box.
We tried to take the tail actually but unfortunately buggered it up. Ah, well learn the hard way! :undecided:
Cheers & God Bless

davidlt89

looks like a good time. like the pics of the fox!!! I just want you to know that I would not get caught dead in that VW:smiley: We certainly have different taste in vehichles:biggthumpup: God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

kombi1976

Of course you would not be caught dead.....the Beetle is very safe. :D
Cheers & God Bless

22hornet

Some bunnies and a dent in the local fox population, well done.
Reminds me of all the time I spent spot lighting when I was younger....

How about cutting a hole in that roof so you can stick your head up and shoot. ;) Beetles make great shooting buggies!
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

tex

kombi1976

Cheers & God Bless

Tags: