Previous topic - Next topic

Worth it?

ea
10 (90.9%)
ah
1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Lost Hunta

Is this gun worth the very attractive price? MRSP is like $330 (guess) but most stores sell em' for under $300 usually.
heres a photo
"Cari" my M4 carbine

Marlin917VS

I think its a nice looking rifle.  For $300 if it shoots even half decent its worth it.  later
"If guns kill people, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil."

The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms, a baked potato, and some A-1 Steak sauce...

Jay Edward (deceased)

H&R has a good rep...I know a couple of local hunters that use it in .243 and just love 'em.

rockinbbar

I voted nay....

If I had about $300 bucks, & was out to buy a single shot rifle, I would definately throw it Mossberg's way for the SSI....
Good finish, classic looks, walnut stocks, all the popular calibers, interchangable barrels....
It is also about the same money....

NEF makes a good, simple rifle, but, if I had bought one, & saw the SSI for he same money, I would slap myself.....LOL.

Rockinbbar
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Lost Hunta

I went to Mossberg's site and the price is like $440 giv or take. thts like $200 more than H&R.
"Cari" my M4 carbine

rockinbbar

I don't know where they get the MSRP on the website....??

I saw a Mossberg SSi in the varmint configuration at a local gunshop.....It was $298....
I know the dealer is making $$ at that price, or he couldn't stay in business.

Rockinbbar

Lost Hunta

I don't lie about tht. I know dealers will take off around $100 from the MRSP but thts still well over the H&R Hunter. If you didn't see for yourself here http://www.mossberg.com/pcatalog/modelSSi.htmAnd heres a Froogle result the .308 which is what i'll only get is like..well here
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=SSi-ONE%20SPORTER%20RIFLES%20%20&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&tab=wf
"Cari" my M4 carbine

rockinbbar

I never thought for a second that you were pulling my lag....LOL.
I just don't understand why they put the price so high on their website....

They are all the same dealer cost. It is just a matter of how much money the dealer wants to make.

Alot of times, they start out high, for an over-allowace if you have a trade-in. If you pay cash, the price can go down considerably.
Even the extra barrels on the Mossberg site are MSRP'd at $240.....You acn buy them for under $150....

The Varmint .223 I saw was new for $298....MSRP on the same gun at the Mossberg site is $505......So, you  gotta figure msrp has about $250 dealer profit rolled into the price. Dealers usually like at least $50 bucks profit on a new gun, so, that is  a good indicator of actual price.

Rockin'

Lost Hunta

Well now i can't decide between the H&R Survivor .308 Hvy Brl. or the Ultra Hunter .308. the Survior is considerably less by about $100 less

NEF/H&R Survivor ($199.00!!!!!! .223 but price between calibers is none)

NEF/H&R Ultra (again price is universal between centerfire cals.)$279.00
(both prices were off of Gunsamerica.com but both were new from gunstores
"Cari" my M4 carbine

M1Garand

I bought an H & R single shot 20 gauge about 20 years ago for $60 and it still works great and I use it for rabbit hunting.  It looks similar to mine except it's a rifle.  If it shoots half way decent I'd say it's a good buy.

Lost Hunta

I really wish i could try bofore i buy. Don't you?
"Cari" my M4 carbine

Stryker

Quote from: Lost HuntaWell now i can't decide between the H&R Survivor .308 Hvy Brl. or the Ultra Hunter .308. the Survior is considerably less by about $100 less

NEF/H&R Survivor ($199.00!!!!!! .223 but price between calibers is none)

NEF/H&R Ultra (again price is universal between centerfire cals.)$279.00
(both prices were off of Gunsamerica.com but both were new from gunstores
I went with the H&R Survivor in .308 with the heavy barrel and I love it. I picked up 160 rounds of Aussie .308 surplus for about $45.00. Makes it about .28 cents a round. Hard to beat and fun to shoot.
- Mark

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wonderng if they made a difference. The MARINES don\'t have that problem."
- President Ronald Reagan 1985

Lost Hunta

What kind of 100yrd groups? with surplus and factory.
"Cari" my M4 carbine

teddy12b

Congrats on your purchase!!!  I'm sure you love it!  I have a H & R synthetic handi rifle in 30-06 and it is awesome.  As far as those mossbergs go......  Why buy an ugly gun, that was built poorly?  Everytime I've ever held a mossberg I just don't feel confident in their quality.  I've sure some guys love them and swear by a mossbergs accuracy, but come on.  Those SSi's are about the ugliest looking rifles I've seen, but to each their own.  My H&R makes me very proud and almost arrogant at the range.  It's such a simple, reliable, well built rifle that I always feel confident with it.  I will be taking mine to the Upper Penninsula of Michigan in a few weeks and I'll be able to count on it's accuracy and consistency while I'm up there.  

I can't say enough about H&R.  I love mine!

Lost Hunta

i definently will be buyin one now. but i just need $$ and wether or not to get the Survior or Ultra Hunter. I like the heavy barrel of the survivor.
"Cari" my M4 carbine

mtsharps

My son shoots a H&R single shot  in 30-06 and he loves it he has other gun but for hunting it the one he takes shoots  good groups got it used for  $150 with scope

Stryker

Quote from: Lost HuntaWhat kind of 100yrd groups? with surplus and factory.
I haven't shot any factory yet. The surplus I was shooting, I kept in the black at 75 yds, all offhand. I would imagine you could get some pretty tight groups if you bench shot. I bought mine for hunting, so 3" groups from a standing position at 75 to 100yrds is plenty for me. Where I hunt it's so thick, 70 yds is about the furthest you can shoot.
- Mark

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wonderng if they made a difference. The MARINES don\'t have that problem."

Lost Hunta

Dang good groups 3" would be plenty for me as well, then add on factory/match ammo and a good rest would likely turn over nice groups.
"Cari" my M4 carbine

Lost Hunta

one of my fiends who works at a gun store is selling a H&R ultra .308 for $190 new. Can i do better?
"Cari" my M4 carbine

Stryker

Quote from: Lost Huntaone of my fiends who works at a gun store is selling a H&R ultra .308 for $190 new. Can i do better?
New or Used? I've seen used go for $175 to $225. If it's in good shape, $190 is a fair price.
- Mark

Lost Hunta

Quote from: Lost Huntaone of my fiends who works at a gun store is selling a H&R ultra .308 for $190 new. Can i do better?
Did you not see this? its says new in red.
"Cari" my M4 carbine

Stryker

Quote from: Lost HuntaDid you not see this? its says new in red.
Must not have had my reading glasses on when I replied. :cool:
- Mark

Antler3

Can't beat an ol' iron sighted win.94 30-30 fer these hills I hunt in. Good ol' guns. I use mossberg 12 gauge 3 inch fer turkey. Good huntin' ya'll
ANTLER 3

Antler3

Guys ya just can't beat the winchester model 94 30-30 for close shots. here in these hills where I hunt I usually don't get to many shots over 50 -60 yards. I really like the old model 94 it has served me well. Good luck to ya'll hope you get a biggun' !
ANTLER 3

Stryker

Quote from: Antler3Guys ya just can't beat the winchester model 94 30-30 for close shots. here in these hills where I hunt I usually don't get to many shots over 50 -60 yards. I really like the old model 94 it has served me well. Good luck to ya'll hope you get a biggun' !
Antler,
I have to agree on the Winchester 94. I love mine, but mine is chambered in .357 Magnum. Where I hunt, the maximum range doesn't get much over 70 yards with 40 yards being the norm. Here's a pic of the buck I took last year with it.
- Mark

Antler3

Nice buck !!  Hope you get another one this year.
ANTLER 3

Lost Hunta

I just found a vs thing between a H&R Ultra Hunter .25-06 vs. a a a a AHHHHHH rot! i can't remember the name but anyway with Federal ammo it shot sub MOA at 100yrds. this just further stregthens my desire for this rifle. and the price diff was litterally like 8 grand
"Cari" my M4 carbine

grandpa

Several years ago a friend of mine picked up a .223 for his youngest boy. It had such a rough bore it would foul after only a few shots until we lapped the bore with a lead slug. Quality could have changed but the old addage, "You get what you pay for!" is still an operative phrase.

Stryker

Took my .308 handi-rifle out yesterday and filled my tag, both buck and doe, in less than twenty minutes. I'll post some pics after I get them developed. I've done a lot of target shooting with it, but this is the first time hunting with it. A lot of guys hunt with them in this area. Most opt for the .243, which is a very popular round. I prefer .308 or 30-06. Not for stopping power or distance, a .243 has those qualities as well. I like the fact I can buy surplus military ammo dirt cheap and shoot 150 rounds for about the same cost as a 20rd box of .243's. I will definately be taking it out again this week to try my luck with my bonus doe tags. One more deer should just about fill my freezer.

I also ran into a budy of mine who was carring and Rossi single shot. I knew Mossberg made them, but not Rossi. Overall it looked like a nice gun. It was actually a little cheaper than my handi-rifle and it came with 2 barrels. MSRP $231 for a .243/12 gauge combination. They call it the matched pair Rifle and it comes in full sized centerfire or Rimfire and youth centerfire or rimfire. It looked nice and he said it shot nice. But I had 2 deer in truck and he had none. :D . I looked them up and here's the website for those interested. The youth .22/.410 combo has an MSRP of $152. I may check into that. I could get both my kids their very own rfile/shotgun, both for about $300! That is very reasonable in my book.

http://www.rossiusa.com/products/products-matchedpairs.cfm
- Mark

rockinbbar

Congrats on the deer & good hunt, Stryker!

Look forwrd to the pics. Tell us the stoty too...

Rockinbbar

Stryker

Quote from: rockinbbarCongrats on the deer & good hunt, Stryker!

Look forwrd to the pics. Tell us the stoty too...

Rockinbbar

I posted the story under the whitetail day by day hunting report. Photo as well

http://thehunterslife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389&page=2&pp=10
- Mark

.260deerSlayer

My brother has an H&R Ultra .243 and it is a sweet shooting gun, I say go for it

Lost Hunta

Well I ordered the Ultra in .308 so thanks for all the help and advice all.
"Cari" my M4 carbine

Marlin917VS

After you shoot it make sure you give us a range report.  I'm curious to see how those shoot.  I've never seen one cept for pictures, but they look really nice for the price.  I like the idea of the barrel changes.  Later

The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms, a baked potato, and some A-1 Steak sauce...

Lost Hunta

Ok i will, i'll grab the targets but all photos will hae to be E-mailed to you/others cause i can't get them to go on posts. I'll do break-in groups (if i decide to do a break-in session) and then regular groups as well as other styles ie offhand, rest, ect.
"Cari" my M4 carbine

Marlin917VS

Thanks lost hunter.  When you do, my email address is:  Andy2590@msn.com

Thanks.
Later

Lost Hunta

can the trigger pull be lessened i heard they were heavy.?
"Cari" my M4 carbine

Lost Hunta

I got it YAY!!!!!! i put new Leupold Rifleman rings and put the ol' Weaver steel scope.
"Cari" my M4 carbine

Lost Hunta

What is the fore-end screw tightness setting of your guy's H&R/NEF's???
"Cari" my M4 carbine

Big Red Trike

To fix trigger on my H&R 243  Hvy Bl.......my Gsmith says very expensive...have to take entire action apart.....? My trigger is only 5lb pull.....not bad for a cheap gun......and it shoots very well.

THe actions however are notorious in Canada for popping open after you shoot a round. Mine is being sent to the Warranty depot for repair....then its gone...I don't trust it....period.

I am dumping it for a Rossi combo: 50cal ML w/ .243 barrel......I already own a Rossi 50 cal ML....it shoots sweet.

My .02

BRT

teddy12b

On rare occation my NEF 30-06 hasn't closed all the way or popped back open after having tryed to close the breach.  I have usually just figured it was me and that I wasn't closing it hard enough, kinda like closing a car door but not quite all the way.  After my rifle pops open I then firmly close it and I have never had a problem with that.  I'm taking my NEF 30-06 to a gunsmith soon because I think after 4.5 years of heavy use my ejector spring has weakened.  I still like my rifle and it's a great shooter.  I just need to take it in for a tune up.

onan1958

Hi I just bought a H and R ultra varmint fluted in 22-250 and a box of winchester 45 gr jhp loaded to 4000 fps . I mounted a simmons 3x9x50 with leuopold high rings and a Rock Mount bi-pod. the circled group was the first three shots from the rifle then one at a time till I hit center. For your 308 if you are not going to do hand loads I recomend the hornady light magnum loads as I have had very pleasing results with them in my 303 britt. with groups less than 1 in at 200 yds. so far the best I have been able to do with hand loads is 1.5 in at 200 yds but with the bullets loaded more to factory spec of 2850fps with 150 gr sierra bullets. instead of the 3200 fps with 174 gr bullets in the magnum loads. I am very pleased with the h and r rifle so far and hope you happy hunting with yours. still trying to figure out how to post photos hope this works.

Lost Hunta

very nice, sounds like no modifications were done on it by your self either. Im still messing with mine but Nosler 165gr Ballistic Tip on top of Varget does good at 100 but im still fine tuning it ti find that presise load. Check this out though if you will
http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=26264
"Cari" my M4 carbine

onan1958

Sounds like an ok load I prefer reloader 19 myself as far as breaking in a barrel goes on the greybeard site i prefer the old fasioned way of shooting till it breaks in. and running a patch thru with solvent then swabbing till a clean patch comes out. copper fouling can be removed along with anything else in the barrel with a mix of pine solvent and amonia mixed 50-50 then swab dry an use a patch with a few drops of 3 in one oil. I have even used automotive rubbing compound to smooth out a barrel. applied to a dry patch. then a thoural cleaning after. hardened steel barrels cant be damaged by a brass or copper brush. for myself I have found keeping the rifle clean the most important thing to accuracy . my 303 shoots tight groups for 10 rounds then I need to swab the barrel. the same with my other rifles. I have taken old surplus rifles that shot keyholed 10 in or worse groups at 100 yards and used the amonia and pinsol treatment like you would clean a black powder rifle and restored their accuracy to three in groups or better. which for most people is fine for hunting. well dinner is done catch ya later.

Lost Hunta

what be reloader 19 eh? My Yugoslav mauser is a pain to clean after shootin that surplus ammo but Break FRee CLP gets in there nicely.
"Cari" my M4 carbine

onan1958

reloader 19 is an alliant powder their web site is www.alliantpowder.com a load for 308 win would just about fill a case and you may even be able to do some compressed loads with it. I picked it for my 303 because in that size case you could fill the case to the top with powder then seat the bullet and still be safe. I do however measure and use 38 gr of powder. out of 40 available in the case.

Lost Hunta

is Sierra 110gr JHP the same as Sierra's 110gr HP Varminter.?
"Cari" my M4 carbine

onan1958

I dont know would have to check the jhp might be designed to expand rithout fragmenting varmint bullets are designed to explode

Tags: