Coyotes

Started by NY-COYOTEDAWGS, January 02, 2005, 03:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NY-COYOTEDAWGS

Anyone Here Hunt Coyotes With Hounds

rockinbbar

NYYD,
First, welcome to THL!

Well, there are probably a few on here that hunt coyotes with dogs.
AzKiote, an Admin. here has 2 trained short-haired airdales he hunts with. They come from a long line of coyote hunting dogs.

I just got 2 black-mouth cur puppies to train along with a future airdale tp hunt coyotes & lions as well.

While the airadales are the right size to not intimidate the coyotes, & bring them in for a shot, I will have to watch the curs, as they will rip a coyote to doll rags if they get a chance.

Rockinbbar
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

English

NYYD, welcome to THL.  I have never hunted yote's with dogs but think it would be a hoot.  I hope some others chime in here with some info.

Mike
BAD RIVER FIEST

NY-COYOTEDAWGS

I Run Coyotes With Running Walkers And Crossed Up Walkers

yotecurhunter

I just started hunting coyotes with my Kemmer Mountain Cur.  He's doing pretty well, but the weather hasn't been that great and the situations weren't in his favor.  He brought in 3 coyotes and I rushed a shot.  He isn't even a year old and I didn't want him to dance with 3 yotes for his first real encounter.

Rockinbar, how much bigger are those black mouth curs compared to a kemmer mountain cur?
Sean G. Harrison

M. R. Byrd

Here in Southwest Kansas if you are hunting coyotes with dogs, it will be greyhounds. A typical "dog wagon" is a jacked up 4 wheel drive pickup, usually a regular cab and short wheel base with a dog box on the back. The dog box has quick release doors where the driver pulls the cord and releases all the hounds, usually about six.

I have never hunted this way, but the way it works is the hunter drives the fields until a coyote is spotted and he releases the dogs. The dogs do the rest.

I refuse to let the "dog wagon" anywhere near my property because of my cow herd. It is pretty hard to tell the coyote which way to run. My uncle used to hunt coons with hounds and it always seemed he was in trouble with our neighbor that had a small feedyard, because the coon would usually head for the cattle pens, then the show was about to begin.

Maynard
Maynard Reece Byrd
Dodge City

NY-COYOTEDAWGS

we just free cast the dogs, or put them on a track and let them cold trail until they jump it.

Daryl (deceased)

Maynard,

We don't hunt coyotes that way either; or at least I don't.

My method consists of calling the coyote to me, and the dog's job is to act as a decoy, or in the case of a coyote hanging up out of range, going out and leading the coyote back to me.

It's an art form all it's own, and it really is somehting to see.  it takes a special kind of dog to do it, and even at that it takes a lot of training and putting a lot of coyotes in front of the dog.

I don't hunt with hounds for coyotes.  My dogs are airedales, and tather than running the coyote down, they learn to lead the coyote back to the gun.

It's a form of artwork on the part of the dag rather than a foot race.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Kit

Quote from: AzKioteMy method consists of calling the coyote to me, and the dog's job is to act as a decoy, or in the case of a coyote hanging up out of range, going out and leading the coyote back to me.
It's my understanding here that coyotes tag-team domestic dogs, and one lone yote will "play" with the dog until it is tempted far enough from home to be  safely eaten by the pack.

It interests me a great deal that you, as alpha of your own domestic pack, are getting this same cooperation from your own animals.

Two can play, eh?

Blessings
 ~Kit

yotecurhunter

That's the idea kit.  Or in my dog's case, the three just came running in and I got scared for him.  I had 3 yotes all withing 50 yards on a dead sprint towards my dog.  I wish I had a 12 gauge then.  I've heard of them luring dogs away so they can eat them, but I've only heard of wolves doing that up near Jackson Hole, WY.  The wolves do it to domestic dogs and to coyotes.  This outfitter I ran into had that happen to her dog.
Sean G. Harrison

NY-COYOTEDAWGS

Art Work For Me Is Watching A Dog Work A Track Through A Deer Yard With Above The Knees Snow And Bring A Coyote By Me.

Kit

Quote from: yotecurhunterThat's the idea kit. Or in my dog's case, the three just came running in and I got scared for him. I had 3 yotes all within 50 yards on a dead sprint towards my dog. I wish I had a 12 gauge then. I've heard of them luring dogs away so they can eat them, but I've only heard of wolves doing that up near Jackson Hole, WY. The wolves do it to domestic dogs and to coyotes. This outfitter I ran into had that happen to her dog.
I was scared for your dog just reading it!  I bet they didn't know you were there and thought they already had their meal all separated out.

A farm lady near here got a Great Pyrenees to protect her place and told me that at 6 months it was trying to run off and 'play' with the yotes so it was taking more training than she'd planned.  She was scared too.

Our local newspapers and telephone poles are full of notices for 'lost' pet cats and dogs from the farms and edges of town.  The yotes do come up to the edge of town, which is also near the local university.  Locals all nod and frown wisely -- but other people keep on comin' out from the cities to live "country" or to be near the university -- and feeding the yotes.

There was a cougar spotted N. of the university near the student apartments as well.  Once when I lived on the other side of the mountains, nearer Seattle, a local elementary school had a cougar living under the modular (add-on) school classroom.  It wasn't seen till someone arrived extra-early one morning and saw it slinking out to leave for the day.  

My dogs go out and bark their heads off in the middle of the night *often*. I figure it's a good coyote deterrent (mine are fenced in.)  I would not let even my mastiff loose to chase their pack because while he'd probably live, I figure he'd be torn up.

Speaking of which - has anyone heard from OhioYotes?  His dog had been hurt pretty bad after the yotes nearly got him as well, but I've  been wondering if they are ok.

Oh!  I had been meaning to share a chuckle with you.   I got the mastiffs for a very reasonable price because of speculation about who their fathers were on the part of the breeder...  I am positive that Missy, the English Mastiff, is half black Lab.   However, I have to admit that when the big Neo Butch made a near-perfect "point" at a hay truck whose driver was out tightening the straps -- I had to wonder ...  "Where did he get *that*??!" LOL! --  prey his size anyway eh? ;)

Blessings
 ~Kit

yotecurhunter

My friend who moved in with me recently has a bull mastiff/dalmation mix.  Wow!  You'd have to see him to believe him.  This dog is huge, but it's black and white and acts kinda weird.  It just jumps around like a little dog.  He likes mastiffs alot.  You have one of the really wrinkly mastiffs right?
Sean G. Harrison

rockinbbar

Getting a dog to do anything but lay on the porch & scratch is a work of art to me...:) :)

Rockinbbar
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Daryl (deceased)

Kit,

Coyotes are, by nature, pretty timid around other canines most of the year...except if the dog is small enough to be considered a meal.  Most coyotes feed on small animals like rabbits, rats, and birds, and aren't usually interested in tackling something that fights back.  This all changes during the denning period, since coyotes are willing to do what they must to protect their young, but that's an area I won't go into now.

Airedales can't catch a coyote on their own unless the coyote stops to fight them, and that usually only happens in the spring when they are denning.  Coyotes are well able to leave most dogs behind.  I've seen them run from my dogs, and they just float away from them.  Some folks like to watch their dogs run coyotes, and many folks (not all I'm sure) use vehicles (and oft-times radios) to keep up with the dogs, since they can cover a lot of country.

Using a vehicle for pursuit of wild animals is illegal in Arizona, and most other states too.  JMO, but I agree with this.  I'm not against someone running them with dogs, mind you; I just don't agree with running them down with trucks.  I've seen way too many laws broken when people do this, and it oft-times sheds a bad light on hunters from what I've seen.  There are far better ways to control coyote numbers when it's needed...traps work 24/7, and will take out specific animals a lot more efficiently than chasing them ever will.

Mi dos centavos,

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Tags: