Doesn't anyone hunt with dogs

Started by Ed B., October 24, 2004, 04:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed B.

Bird dogs???  Squirrel dogs???  Coon dogs???  Rabbit dogs???  Deer dogs???   Anybody???   Hello???  Somebodys gotta have something they want to say about their dog.:D

Ed

Daryl (deceased)

I hunt coyotes with mine.  Does that count?

Az
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

rockinbbar

My dog will bite a bisquit or two....LOL.

Az, What dogs do you have?
I'm looking to get a dog to hunt coyotes too.
We have a terrier-red heeler cross that lovesto kill them, but Tess is starting to show her age now, & hardly chases rabbits anymore.

Rockinbbar
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Daryl (deceased)

Rockin',

I have a couple of slick coated airedales from Matt's line up in Flagstaff. The show folks don't like the slicks, but they don't get the burrs and Matt's dogs will sure enough hunt!

Bud's the bigger of the two at about 55 lbs. I'd guess Kara at about 45 lbs or so. Bud's been on a bunch of coyotes and is the most agressive of the two. He's the one that'll kill a cripple (or any other one he gets ahold of) the quickest. Kara's a little tease, and will likely make the best tolling dog of the two. This is Kara's first serious year of hunting coyotes so she has a lot of learning to do on how to play the game, but she still has plenty of grit (and then some!).

They got on a den this last July in the area where these pictures were taken, and the result was 2 dead pups and one dead adult male out of 5 I saw. It wasn't intentional on my part, but they got ahead of me and the deed was done when I caught up. They're rough on coyotes for sure, yet they're the friendliest dogs anyone could ever hope for around people so they know where to aim their aggression.

Anyway, meet Bud and then Kara at the bottom.
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

DEADBIRD

I hunt with ladrabors.  I'm currently working on my third dog.  On my South Dakota trip last week my six year old Shelby did very well on upland birds.  This was a first with Shelby over pheasants and grouse.  She is awesome with waterfowl.  She will dive under for cripples and surface just like a submarine.  My two year old , Bullet did very well on teal this year but still needs lots of work on control in a blind.
ENJOYING LIFE IN GODS COUNTRY

rockinbbar

Az,

My good dog got stolen when some pukes broke into a neighboring ranch about 7-8 months ago. Since then, I have been hunting for a good dog to teach to hunt my way...
What are the chances I could hook up with the kind of dogs you  have? & if so, what kind of $$ are we talking about?

Thanks, Barry

Daryl (deceased)

Barry,

You can look at Matt's site at:

http://mogollonrimairedales.com/

If I remember right Cajun and Kay, in the top photo at his site, are the parents of my Bud. While I don't remember who the father is, Kara is from Bud's litter mate Lucy, now owned by John-Henry over at the CG board.

Unfortunately Cajun passed away a few months back, and I think Kay had to have a hysterectomy (SP?). Fortunatly though, they both left plenty of pups in their wake. Matt's male "Zack" is a good looking dog with more than his share of hunting drive.

You can reach either Matt or John-Henry (or both) at the Coyote Gods board. John-Henry doesn't have any pups now, and I'm not sure if/when he's planning more. Matt may have some pups now, or can likely tell you when he will.

I'll most likely get some pups from Kara, but I don't want that to happen until after the hunting season. She should come back into heat about January if I remember right.

I think Matt gets $500.00 each for his dogs, and they're registered. The registration doesn't mean much when it comes to hunting (a lot of show dogs won't hunt), but I've seen a lot of Matt's dogs and have yet to see one that wouldn't hunt. To find out more about the dogs, go the the CG board and read in the "Coyote Dogs" forum. Many (most) of the dogs spoken of in there are out of Matt's line.

If you haven't decided by then (or even if you have), I'll most likely bring my two with me when I come over there to hunt so you can see them work up close and personal! :D

As a last note, I'll also tell you that I've never seen a dog that bonds to it's owner like these airedales do.  They'll range out and hunt, but will come back and check in fairly often.  I've even had them go back and track my mule to find me!

Take care,
Daryl

RIP Linden33

rockinbbar

Cool!
I'd enjoy that, Daryl.

I'll take a look at the site. Thanks for the info.

Barry

bmcpoyle

Ive got two labs for pheasant hunting, one trained, one pup in the process.  The older black lab has the flushing and retreiving instinct about as good as you can get.  The chocolate lab pup is showing great, disciplined nose, when the black lab loses the scent the chocolate seems to put him back on it.  Think ive got a good tag team pair of hunting dogs in the works. would love to try them on PA's toughest game bird: the ruffed grouse, see how good they really are.

myEspringr

my springer is a hard workin' dog , i can't wait to get him out for roosters again' last year at 11 months old he really surprised me, he did real good, took him out for doves this year he found them all except one he couldn't get to. lot of energy . happy dog, watches over the kids well too.
Time can fly all it wants,
@ Sunrise it stands still long enough for me

Hobie

When I was still a kid we had good bird hunting here in VA and dad had a Golden Retreiver (he'd raised Springers when he was a kid).  Hunted doves, quail, grouse, etc. with that dog.  She was pretty good but not as intensively trained as seems to be the standard today.

Now, "we've" got a Miniature Schnauzer who'd be a good squirrel dog but she's a bit gunshy AND the wife would have a fit! ;)   She was supposed to be my dog (the wife isn't a dog person) but of course, she's momma's dog!  :D   Fine with me, she's curled up at my feet right now!  Great little buddy.

slamfire

I wish these guys would stay behind when I go huntin'

Bold talk, from a one-eyed fat man. ;)

Widlcat

Yep, we use Rick's German bird dogs, Drawthouer (the spelling isn't right), very close to a German Wire Hair for open areas and a Chocolate Lab for the Willows.  The Lab is barrel chested and can break through the heavy Willows:frown, where the others have a harder time of it.

crowkiller

Hi, this is my mixed race dog Donna 1/2 Tibet Spaniel 1/2 Cocker Spaniel.
I only use her as tracking help and as squirrel dog. She only weighs 10 kilos but she catched and killed two wounded brown hares (Lepus europaeus). She runs like the wind and bites like the wolf:D.

Widlcat

Right on friend, that's a cool little dog.

Red Earth

We are new here......We hunt with DK's and GSP's...... here a few action shots!

Hunting upland birds, Waterfowl, small game and blood tracking wounded deer...all with the same breed of dog!

P & G
Hunting Dogs for The Discriminating Hunter
 Veterinary Information
 Gun Dog Art
 Red Earth Outfitters.com

RatherBHuntin

I have had dreams of having such a dog but didn't think it possible.  Do you train them yourselves or did you buy them?  Or did they just start doing it?  Nice looking buck by the way.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Red Earth

Glenn,

We were called out to track this deer for the gentleman in the picture. IT was his first  deer and he was quite upset he jerked the trigger. It took over three hours to finally find him. He went through hill and dale! lol

These dogs, The Deutsch Kurzhaars, are bred to do everything. They are "The poor mans dog" for lack of better words.

Yes, we do breed and train these dogs. We have had much success with them as well. If you have Animal Planet, you might have seen one fo our Stud dogs on Breed All About It. He was a certified Narcotics dog as well as all the other afore mentioned hunting dog.

There are plenty more dogs on our web site as well as a discription of what all the titles mean, on the DK page.

If you want more information on breeders near you let me know.

Phil
  REO
Hunting Dogs for The Discriminating Hunter
 Veterinary Information
 Gun Dog Art
 Red Earth Outfitters.com

buckshot roberts

:D Red Earth, that is some nice dogs you have, Someday i'll get me a hunting dog, I hunt with people who have dogs, I got two that turned out to be hunting dogs, but I'm still try'n to stop them from being gun shy,:confused: .
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Rodders

I grew up hunting with dogs.

The bush where I lived was so thick that walk and stalk hunting was just about impossible, so we hunted with beaters and with dogs to flush bushbuck and bush pig.

We had beagles, foxhounds, blue ticks and mixtures of the three. Also had some very good mongrels of doubtful ancestry.

I still miss the sound of a pack opening up when they hit a scent (we spoke about them "giving tongue") - of course they would usually be about 10 to 15 minutes behind whatever they were chasing.

One of the best dogs I ever had for following a scent and giving tongue was (don't laugh now) a miniature longhaired dachshund - I think you guys call them wiener dogs. He had a heart twice the size of his body, and would just about turn himself inside out if he saw a gun.

He also used to be my A number 1 monkey hunting dog. I grew up on a sugar estate where Vervet monkeys were a pest and destroyed large areas of crops. He used to ride behind me in a crate on the old farm bike, and would bail off as soon as he saw monkeys. Once nearly died when a wounded bull got hold of him.

I will try to post some pics.

Changed circumstances prevent me from hunting with dogs currently, but I miss it badly.

gitano

Many elements of that story I understand.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

English

Here's a couple of pics of one of my dogs.  Her name is Bad River Brownie.  She is a treeing feist.  Her specialty is squirrels but she hates coons, possums, and especially cats!  One pic is of her treeing a squirrel.  The other is a pic of her on the tail gate after a short hunt this past hunting season.

Mike
BAD RIVER FIEST

Tags: