It's Varmint Hunting Season!!!

Started by recoil junky, April 01, 2013, 09:21:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

recoil junky

Those waskawwy wodents are out in force!!!!

First you twack them to their holes

Then BWAM

See David, :D a 44 magnum CAN kill a Richardson's ground squirrel (holus diggus smallus) at 20 paces. He was DRT (dead right there) :sweetheart:

I was at odds with my 700SPS varminter on Saturday. Don't know if was because I'd just gotten off graveyard shift and hadn't slept, coulda been.

All in all I had a good couple hours before it started to snain (raining and snowing at the same time) and I figures I'd better get out of the mud hole I was in before it got worse.

I'll be out again this afternoon weather permitting and so far it looks good. Hopefully there will be a holus diggus gigantus (badger) appear

RJ

When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

JaDub

Holus Diggus Smallus ...............

:MOGRIN: :biggthumpup:

Atta BOY   RJ   !!

recoil junky

Back for day two after a rest yesterday as the mine was closed for Easter Sunday.

It was very overcast by the time I got out there. Hmmmm, 16 miles to the north it was sunny and bright, go figure.

And seeing the little blighters was pretty tough even with 50mm objective lenses I really struggled to see much less locate many shots much past 100 yards even with yellow shooting glasses.

Then it started this.

It spit rain and snow for about 10 minutes then quit and the squirrels were out in force again, providing for some hand cannon shooting. Here's one from 35 paces using a 429421 and 18.4 grains of 2400. :biggthumpup:

A stupid raven landed on a fence post about 100 yards away and was not very hard to pass up. Never more will he fly. :MOGRIN:

Even with the rain delay I got in a couple hours shooting before it started raining again and I gave up.

RJ

When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

davidlt89

QuoteSee David,  a 44 magnum CAN kill a Richardson's ground squirrel
I had no doubts!!!!:grin:
Ravens are a big no no up here!!! can get into a lot of trouble!!!
those are some good shots with the 44, hoping to see some more pictures!!!! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

recoil junky

I should clarify the raven was whacked with a .223. :o

Ravens and crows are "fair game" here. It's Mexican eagles (magpies) that are a no no. No offence to any hispanic viewers intended.

RJ

davidlt89

QuoteI should clarify the raven was whacked with a .223
no offense, but I figured a rifle was involved in that one.:grin:

We have a "split season" on crows!!!! makes absolutely no sense because they are everywehre!!!! I should say the state has a split season, most of the residents have their own season, all year:happy:. God bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

JaDub

Seems I remember many years ago that  the state of Wyoming used to pay .25 per right leg of a Magpie.   They are , afterall, just another species of crow ..........only wearing a tuxedo.

Tags: