The Hoban Model 45

Started by sakorick, July 30, 2010, 03:39:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

A bit of history: Hoban Mfg. Co. succeeded the Hamilton Rifle Co. (1874-1889), that. In turn, became Plymouth Iron Windmill Co. (1887-1895) and eventually, the Daisy Mfg. Co. in 1899, which he ran until his death in 1933 when Pat Hoban took over and kept the firm going.

The Hoban Rifle Company made the Model 45 (for the year of its introduction) from 1945 until 1948. The rifle was a short, long or long rifle-single shot, boy's rifle.
In the 1950s, a German-made, reverse-engineered metric copy marked "United Arms Company, Chicago 20" was also made for a brief period. Both relatively cheaply made rifles are now considered collectibles and, while not high priced, are in some demand.

During production of the gun it was offered as a promotional for a product called;
(WHITE CLOVERINE) The can was white with a clover on it. If you sold certain amount of cans, you would get this gun free. White Cloverine, was used to ease the pain of minor burns, scalds, sunburns, and windburn.

The gentleman who sold me this one found it in an estate sale and had been won by selling cans of White Cloverine. Here is the rifle.....I love this thing! Regards, Rick.

Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

recoil junky

Rick, just think of all the John Deere tractors you could have bought if you didn't collect  "other things".

That is a very interesting piece.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

Never even seen or heard of such a rifle.

Cool.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jorge in Oz

Looks like a Carcano trainer (I don't think there was ever such a rifle). I'm amazed at what you dig up around the traps Rick. You guys are surely blessed in the US with variety when it comes to firearms. Good stuff.

Hey Rick you may know, I found a german made Wischo single shot 22 which looks near new and looks well made, just wondering whether you have ever heard of that brand name. I'm thinking of buying it.

Cheers

Jorge
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

sakorick

Quote from: Jorge in Oz;107117Looks like a Carcano trainer (I don't think there was ever such a rifle). I'm amazed at what you dig up around the traps Rick. You guys are surely blessed in the US with variety when it comes to firearms. Good stuff.

Hey Rick you may know, I found a german made Wischo single shot 22 which looks near new and looks well made, just wondering whether you have ever heard of that brand name. I'm thinking of buying it.

Cheers

Jorge

Hello Jorge. It looks like a cross between a Carcano, US carbine and Brit Jungle Carbine. The bottom metal is all a facade.....it's a single shot and there is no clip/magazine......it's a hoot!

Now as to your Wischo....yep, I've seen them. Made in Erlangen, FRG I believe. When I lived in Germany they were very popular.....they made all kinds of rifles and shotguns. They were a small company like Krico that made real good stuff. Were it me, I would not hesitate as I love the odd balls and I have never seen a German rifle or pistol that was not well made. Regards, Rick.

22hornet

I was thinking of a Carcano trainer too. Great minds think alike... (or was that fools never differ?)
What a find!
How does it shoot Rick?
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

sakorick

It shoots just fine......Quarter sized groups at 50 yards......need to shoot it with some better ammo.....perhaps next week or so. Regards, Rick.

Shane S

Found one the other day in a old barn/shed.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

That'll keep you busy! Welcome to THL Shane.
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

sakorick

Welcome to THL, Shane. How is the bore? With a little elbow grease she should clean up nicely.

Shane S

It had some dirt dauber nest in it. Blew it out with a air compressor. This morning I gave it a good cleaning and oiled it up. Might try to shoot it this afternoon.

gitano

It's been a LONG time since I've heard anyone say "dirt dauber" or mud dauber as we referred to them. Nasty rascals! Welcome to THL Shane S. Looking forward to the shooting results.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

I have a Hoban around here someplace. Haven't seen it in years. I don't remember the model or if it has the upper hand guard. I might dig it out today & look at it. A friend gave it to me after using it when coon hunting years ago. It's been hauled around in the bed of a pick up truck with the dogs a lot & pretty well beat up.  .....Shane, welcome to THL. .....Paul H

Paul Hoskins

Found the old Haband 22 rifle. It has a missing upper hand guard & band. Rear sight is missing also. Grubby looking thing. It says it's made in Salem, Michigan. It's just junk that I wind up with but usable if one wanted.  ......Paul H

Tags: