British Cartridge Series - 500/465 Nitro

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), January 08, 2006, 01:56:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Edward (deceased)

My one and only Double Rifle was chambered in this cartridge.  I never shot anything with it but I did have fun working up loads.  Back in the 60s it deucedly hard to get brass and Berdan primers for this rifle.  I did finally locate a couple thousand primers (and purchased them), traded for some brass (as well as some factory loaded rounds) and went to work.

I first used the hydraulic method of depriming but eventualy purchased a Lachmiller Berdan deprimer.  I do not have the paper work any more but I believe I worked up a load with 3031 that produced the right effect for a 'dangerous game' rifle.  (Loudenboomer Smackenshoulder)

With the Cordite charged factory loads I would draw shooters from up and down the line.  (That was not my intent as I prefer to have one, or at most, two other friends near me)  The reason being that the Cordite seemed to send a rope of fire out even in broad daylight.  I only did it a few times as the cartridges were very expensive to shoot.

I'm sorry that I don't have a picture of the rifle but it didn't seem important at the time.  I believe the name on it might have been Churchill.

RatherBHuntin

You reckon that would work for Coues Deer?
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Gmoney

-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

drinksgin (deceased)

It sounds like what some gun rag writers would recommend for javalina!
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

gitano

Quote from: drinksginIt sounds like what some gun rag writers would recommend for javalina!
I dunno Don...  Only 4930 ft-lbs of muzzle energy. Probably unethical for something as tough as Javelina.

Personally, I try very hard to avoid anything that has over 4000 ft-lbs of energy at the muzzle. Just ain't fun for me above that.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jay Edward (deceased)

Quote from: gitanoPersonally, I try very hard to avoid anything that has over 4000 ft-lbs of energy at the muzzle. Just ain't fun for me above that. Paul
[/color]

I know what you mean Paul... take a shot, pick up your contacts, take a shot, pick up your contacts, etc...

When I was young, if it didn't turn me half way around or end up with the muzzle pointing sorta skyward, I didn't figure I was having any fun.  

Once I took out a loan on my signature to purchase a .416 Rigby Francotte bolt.  I don't know what it was about that rifle but it hurt to fire more than any of the others.  At the same time I had a Magnum Mauser chambered in .460 G&A that was tame by comparison and a custom Magnum Mauser .375 H&H that was just plain sweet to shoot.[/color][/size]

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

The .375 H&H...........now there is a cartridge that is "sweet" by any criteria you wish to choose...........The pre '64 Model 70 African with the 25" barrel was just lovely to shoot!

Really the only "magnum" I would really want to have back in the gun rack!  Maybe I will win the lottery and be able to purchase a CZ550 in this caliber.........Ahhhh!

Ol' John
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

Tags: