New gun for my son!

Started by davidlt89, December 19, 2021, 05:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidlt89

My middle son turns 16 next month, which means he is old enough to hunt by himself next year! So, it was time to get him his own rifle and get him set up!
Now I have not bought a rifle in 7 years, so I was not sure what was out there. I thought about a savage axis scoped package, which was cheap, but then I ran across this Browning A-bolt 3 which really caught my eye.

I was looking for something in .308 caliber, initially thinking .308 or 30-06. When I saw this A-bolt-3 chambered in 300 win mag, I thought what the heck, he uses my 375 H&H for his bear gun, so recoil would not be a problem.

I bought it online then went and picked it up at the dealers house the next day, which was a 20 min ride!! I was very impressed with this guy and I will be buying again.

once I had the gun, I shopped for a scope and ended up getting this Burris Fullfield II 4.5x14x40. I had no idea Nikon stopped making scopes, and I was not paying for a Leupold, so this Burris was it. Plus I have owned a Fullfield II years ago and liked it.

I was able to order the bullets, brass, and dies, and have powder and primers already on hand!! My son asked to be a part of the reloading process and that made my day. we will start the test rounds up this winter, and test them in the spring.
All in all, I got one happy boy!! God Bless.

ab3 2 by David LeTourneau, on Flickr

ab3 3 by David LeTourneau, on Flickr

ab3 1 by David LeTourneau, on Flickr

garett scope 2 by David LeTourneau, on Flickr

garett scope 1 by David LeTourneau, on Flickr
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

branxhunter

Nice one David, looking forward to seeing the son with the new rifle draped across something!

Marcus

recoil junky

Nice rifle and scope!!

I can wait for pictures of meat!

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

Yeehaa!

Looking forward to dead target pictures.

Time flies...

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: