Burris Scopes

Started by davidlt89, April 14, 2022, 01:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidlt89

So, back in Late December I purchased my 14 and 16 year old their own rifles. Not long after that I ordered some optics for those rifles. I decided on Burris Fullfield II's 4.5x14 to put on both rifles.

I had the scopes mounted in January and have just been waiting for the snow to go to try out some test loads. Well, today was the day to do some shooting. I was hoping to get both rifles done, one being my younger sons weatherby vanguard chambered in 30-06 and my other sons Browning AB III chambered in 300 win mag.

I decided to take my youngers sons rifle out first and test out the 30-06 test loads. Now, I did not know if these rifles had been boresighted, so I set up at 25 yards, took out the bolt, lined the bore up with the bullseye, and "tried" to get the crosshairs lined up with the bullseye.

I knew I was in trouble as it was going to take about 70-80 clicks to get those cross hairs on. I maxed out the elevation and decided to try a shot anyways. the crosshairs were probably a good 4  inches over the target at 25 yards, with the elevation maxed out.

I put a shot down range, and I just barely got the top of the target. My best guess would be that I needed at least 50 to 55 more clicks to get on the bulleye.

So feeling a little discouraged, I went in and got the other gun and went through the same routine, this went off without a hitch and was able to do all 5 test batches.

Once everything was put away, I decided to get a hold of burris and let them know of my current situation. It seems to me that the scope may be defective, I have never had another scope do that before and this scope was way off!!

I went through their process and got a message back telling me to use their burris signature rings, as all rifles "can be different". I did not like that reply and I called the number to customer service and the guy had my case up as I was talking to him. He also was selling the burris signature rings telling me that some mounts just don't work with some scopes.

I have used burris rings before, I do like them, BUT, I have already purchased the warren rings and they are mounted on my rifle. I have never had a scope "not work" with a set of rings.

I Personally think that the amount the scope is off is a little excessive. I cannot even get on paper at 25 yards.

Has anyone else ever had something similar happen to them?
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

branxhunter

G'day David.

I have had this occur with a Parker Hale .243. With a Leupold bridge mount and turn-in/windage rings it shot waaaaay low at 100m, and almost maxed out the elevation adjustment to get to POA. I shimmed the rings with aluminium cut from beer cans.

Do the Weathery Vanguard/Howa actions have different height front and rear receiver rings? Maybe the receiver rings are a slightly different height, but the scope rings you bought are designed for an action where both receiver rings are the same height?

Marcus

gitano

I think whoever mount the scope used the wrong rings. This happens. OR... Is it possible the the rings are reversed: Front ring in the rear, and rear ring on the front? This happens.

"Signature" rings won't solve this problem, and it's disappointing to hear of someone (manufacturer 'help' staff), suggesting that.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jamie.270

Do you know if the elevation adjustment was centered to begin with?
I always center both windage and elevation adjustments before I start making calls, but that's just me.  

I've seen scopes 3/4s of the way through their adjustment range before, right out of the box.
It's a tedious job to find the center but it can be peace of mind.

As others have said, check all aspects of the mounting too.

Good luck David.  I've been a Burris shooter for decades and never found their scopes or their customer service wanting.
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

gitano

QuoteDo you know if the elevation adjustment was centered to begin with?

Even if it wasn't, if the bore is on the bull and the scope i off the target after 80 clicks, "centering" ain't the problem.

First, whatever COMMERCIAL entity mounted it, should have bore sighted it, at the least. They should have been the ones to find the problem. I'd take it back to them and "have speaks" with them.

If it wasn't a commercial entity like Cabela's, Sportsman's Warehouse, etc., then I'd redo it myself.

Check the "front ring/back ring reversed".

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

I hear ya Paul. I don't see how "their" rings will fix this problem either. they were very adamant on  the rings saying they had "shims" that came with them and you could adjust elevation that way to start.
I bought the gun through a dealer in a town not to far away from me, he threw in the rings with the gun purchase and he also mounts the scopes for free when you buy the gun from him. He is usually pretty good and has more experience mounting scopes then me.

I have contacted him to see if one of the things you said may have happened. He cannot remember if he actually boresighted it, but I would think not because it would of never lined up.

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

davidlt89

so, on further inspection, it is impossible to mix the front and rear rings up. I also made a mistake, they are not warren mounts, I have talley one piece mounts. the rear ring is supposed to be .621 from the receiver to the bottom of the mount opening, and the front is supposed to be .500.
The rear on my rifle is .501 and the front is .495. Soooo, it looks like a got a defective rear mount!!

gitano

What happens, sometimes, is that a 'guy behind the counter' will be showing different rings and takes them out of their boxes. When he puts them back, he gets them mixed up. It happened to me.

BUT...

The good news is, you've got it figured out! The solution is trivially at hand.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: