New Hunting Truck

Started by Jorge in Oz, December 09, 2013, 05:13:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jorge in Oz

Hi Guys,

I finally got around to getting myself a 4WD for hunting, surfing and camping.

It's an old white low kilometers 2002 Ford Courier 2.5lt Turbo Diesel. I think in America they are the Mazda B series pick ups.

It will be my daily driver to work also and I'm already enjoying the experience. Just have to get a canopy and some roof racks for my surfboard and we are sweet.

To say I'm happy is an understatement as I have been waiting many years to buy my first ute.

Here's some pics.

Cheers
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Had the speedo needle all the way round to the zero stop in our old Mazda...
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

recoil junky

That's a nice ute!!

Looks a lot like the Ranger pickups we have here. Can't get e diesel in them though. Bugger me why Ford can put a 7.3 in an F250 but can't put a 2.5 in a Ranger.

Good find for sure mate!!

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

davidlt89

Congratulations Jorge!!!! Having a 4 wheel drive truck is a must in my parts. I have had 4 bear, two deer, and one moose on mine so far and have only had it a little over a year. The extra room in the cab is also great!!! I put my seats up and my trapping packbasket and essentials are right there!!! I put a box on the back and I can pretty much carry any traps I need plus axe, jack, etc....
You have openend up a whole new world my friend, and it sounds like you are excited, and as well you should be. Sharp looking truck!!! I bet it is actually good on gas also! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

RatherBHuntin

Nice truck.  I wrecked my 4wd last year, and currently have a 2wd...and hate it.  I feel like I might as well be driving a go cart during hunting season.

Good grab on the diesel.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

gitano

I have a little 4WD, (REAL 4wd, not the so-called 4WD that is so widely advertised these days), '85 Nissan with 'jump seats' in the back. I had friend make a rack for it, and it is the vehicle that I haul the "Little Green Boat" (LBG) around with. And of course do other "truck" chores with it.

In its first life it was a State of Kalifornia Parks truck. My Dad bought it for me at a state auction. The Kalifornia smog stuff has been pulled off of it, but it's still a pig on gas mileage. In the summer with no load but the LGB on top it gets NO better than 19 mpg. In the winter, with NO load the BEST it does is 17 mpg. I keep threatening to have it "overhauled" to seriously clean up the engine of all of the Kalifornia nonsense in hopes of improving the mileage to its max, but you know how that goes. There's always something 'more important' on The List.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

Quoteand currently have a 2wd.
first truck I ever owned was a 2wd, never, never again!!!! they are about useless in the winter up here. Not to mention the places I could not go in the fall. When I see a road in the woods, I want to drive it, period!!! especially if it looks "birdy"! I am not much on the diesel engines though, although I do see advantages. Gets cold enough up here in the winter where it could be a problem!!! God Bless.

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Jorge in Oz

Thanks guys for your responses.

Yeah I don't have to worry about getting too cold down here in Victoria although its much colder than Queensland but not as cold as where some of you folks are from.

I plan to get a canopy so when we make our annual trek to Queensland to visit the Outlaws (in-laws) we can store all our gear in it.
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

RatherBHuntin

Canopy would be good for camping out in the bush too,  if weather might become dodgy.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Fieldmor77

Good one Jorge, I have the same ute, albeit a Mazda bravo 2.5 turbo.
Mine has a custom built body on the back with a six by six foot tray and a full length sliding draw under the tray, has served me very well so far.
They tow pretty good too, not bad on fuel i get around 700- 750k's to a tank.

Jorge in Oz

Nice Peter,

Do you have a towbar on yours and does the custom tray add a lot of additional weight than just a factory tray and canopy?

The reason I ask is that I'm not sure I'll get that many miles from my tank.

Do you have any fuel saving tips on these beasts you could share?

Take care

Cheers

Jorge

davidlt89

QuoteDo you have any fuel saving tips on these beasts you could share?
I get 15 miles to the gallon:D God Bless.

Jorge in Oz

That sounds bad but how that does translate to litres per 100 kilometers (not many it seems)

davidlt89

your making me think!!!

MPG = L/100 km
15.5 = 15.176

15.5 miles to the gallon = 15.176 liters/100km.

I believe I have a 25 gallon tank, costs 91.25 to fill. God Bless.

Jorge in Oz

Wow you'd be broke here is Oz with our prices. I am currently paying AU$1.55 per litre.

Tags: