Good ole Maine moose hunt

Started by davidlt89, October 22, 2010, 07:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidlt89

the maine moose hunt has been in for most of this month. One of my really good friends just happen to get drawn this and received his first ever permit. I will say, permits are not easy to get. They started the moose lottery back in 1983, or so, and I know many people who have never received a permit, fortunately last year I did get drawn, and low and behold, my buddy got drawn this year. The moose hunt was broken down into 3 separate weeks which hunters were allowed to hunt. first season starts at the end of september and goes for a week, they have a week off and then season two, week off and they now have a season three. I guess the point behind this is so that the woods do not get flooded with hunters. which is easy to do since most of the moose are up my way up in the northern part of the state.
   This was sort of a special hunt for my friend, not just because it was his first permit but because his dad was diagnosed with cancer last year. They believe they got all the cancer but are doing chemo right now to make sure and it was questionable wether he would have the "energy" to participate. They hunted the first day and seen nothing. on the second day, by word of cell phone they were put onto a spot that was holding some really big bulls that nobody ever seems to hunt. Heeding the advice they left the area they were hunting and proceeded to see what all the hoopla was about. they met the father of a friend of his mother (kinda confusing) and set up in a field at about 10:30 am. This is kinda of an odd time to get moose into the field but they proceeded to call. As they were intentivley watching a spot, the guy that brought them there happened to do a 180 and noticed this fella checking out the call. Now, the guy that got them there had shot a nice bull the year before that had a 55" spread and had sworn up and down that there were two bigger ones there this year that he had seen almost every day. A "trophy" rack up here usually starts at 50" though I have seen them reach 60". my buddy swung around to see this moose and was "satisfied" with the rack and had no problem pulling the trigger, or at least that was his story. I believe he seen a moose with antlers and was going to shoot no matter what. But it is my word against his:grin:. The moose weighed in at 777lbs (dressed) and had a 45.28" spread which to me a a darn good trophy (my moose dressed at 488 with a 20" spread:grin:). The weight is not bad although there are several moose shot each year that dress anywhere from 800 to 1,000lbs (dressed). He shot it with a weatherby .30-378 pushing a 180 bullet, what bullet, I don't know. He is getting the whole head mounted and has permission to put it in the living room! Hope you enjoy the pictures. God bless.

Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

LvrLover

A mountain of meat. Like butchering a small steer.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." General John Stark

22hornet

Great moose! :MOGRIN: I would love a moose head like that hanging in my living room!

Good to see the hunt worked out well.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

Alboy

Yummmm

You helping cut up there David?

With that I am sure all help is welcome. It sure was when I had an elk half that size.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

davidlt89

Al,
   we do not cup up moose! just to big. most of the butchers around here charge about 50 cents a pound which is good when you compare it to a cow. Not only that they can cut much better than we can and it is usually done the next day complete with sausage and hamburg! We do cut up our deer and bear. God Bless.

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

gitano

Nice moose! Very cool! Congratulations to all!

Nice pictures too. Thanks.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

RatherBHuntin

I can see as how you would rather just take that to the butcher David, that'sw a lot of work.  You would really need a pretty good facility to do it right, at least somewhere to hang it and a LARGE stainless steel table.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

davidlt89

a lot of work is right!!!! looking at a good solid day with 5-6 guys. it is nice to tell the butcher what you want and get it packaged right!!! there will be at least 350lbs of meat of that moose! only thing I wanted was the heart but he somehow managed to "blow" it up on me! I probably should of asked for the liver as it as been a long time since I have had that. Moose liver is very tasty, but not as tasty as the heart! God bless.

RatherBHuntin

Your right about the heart, I finally saved a one from a deer last year, along with some liver, and that heart was very good.  Can't believe I haven't been digging them out and have been wasting them for years now.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

davidlt89

Yes, cardiac muscle has a different texture than skeletal muscle and I think the heart is the best piece of meat in any animal! I have been eating them for years. my dad used to cook beef heart when I was young along with the tongue! I also always liked liver and I can remember my mom cooking pigs feet quite often!!

Paul Hoskins

David, that is a really nice moose. Any moose is a nice moose in a stew pot tho. My wife is sitting here looking at that homely varmint & drooling. ...Congrat's. to your buddy.   .....Paul H

Vermonster

Beauty of a Bull David!  My cousin's husband got one also.  Smaller one, I think in the 650 range or so.

Congrats to your buddy!!!

bowhunter 51

..............................................Beautiful animal!............................................
Just his hind quarters would fill my freezer.....Man!.....I'm envious...............
Congratulations to your friend, davidt................................................BH51....
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

Jorge in Oz

Quote from: 22hornet;108582Great moose! :MOGRIN: I would love a moose head like that hanging in my living room!

Good to see the hunt worked out well.

I'll second that. I'd also like a moose head above my fireplace. Well done David what a beast, you'll have meat for the whole winter. Well done mate. :2thumbsup:
Cheers

Jorge
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

recoil junky

That is a nice moose. Be sure to get a picture when it's mounted and hanging  in his living room.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

Tags: