Really basic

Started by drinksgin (deceased), June 06, 2013, 03:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drinksgin (deceased)

I tried to enter this about 3 hours ago, HOWEVER, I now know every time a little shower comes up, Hughes.net turns up it's toes, so, I shall try again.
This is about as low tech as it gets, I often make hard cooked eggs for certain meals, I get upset when the shells crack and squirt white out into the water, a bit of research showed the problem was due to air pressure, the air in the shell expanded and caused any weakness in the shell to break.
I decided to relieve the pressure, one piece of 5/8" dowel, a .035 drill bit, a short piece of .030 music wire and a smear of epoxy.
Use the tool to carefully punch a hole in the very top of the big end of the egg, that is where the air pocket is, just through the shell is enough.
I have been using the tool about 2 years and have not had an egg  crack.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

gitano

There is another solution I use: I warm the eggs to room temperature before I put them in the water. I do this by running them under hot water while I bring the pot of water to a boil. Your method saves the energy to heat the water to bring the eggs to room temperature.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

Ya still gotta put them in ice water after boiling to make them peel easier. Somebody needs to figure out a way to do that so's not to empty the ice maker every time you boil eggs. And I if you haul water, letting the tap run more than a five count gets you in trouble.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

drinksgin (deceased)

RJ, you DO know to use eggs that are at least 7 days old if you want them to peal easily?
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

recoil junky

Yeah, store boughts are at least that old and as we don't have "chooks" anymore that's what I've been suffering with.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Keep the pot with the hot water, cool the eggs with cold water then dip them back in the hot and they peel easy!
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

Tags: