New Shooter!

Started by recoil junky, October 19, 2018, 09:19:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

recoil junky

My MCSD Deputy friend "Nigel's" son "Neville" just turned twelve, so to mark the occasion he got a private land only either *** deer tag! He's pretty stoked and wants to learn reloading so last Sunday they came out for some schooling and shooting.

Neville will be shooting a Sako Forester in .308. It's a little "rough" on the outside, and after a bit of cleaning the innards were pristine. What a sweet rifle, just right for a twelve year old! A bit small for me but I could adapt I'm sure.

We sat down with Neville at the press learning how to set up dies, case prep, trimming, beveling and flash hole deburring (he's a sponge and quickly grasped the importance of being meticulous) weighing powder charges, primer and bullet seating.

In short order we had his load worked up (I never fired the rifle) and soon the lad was doing final sight in in a brisk breeze on a blistering 35 degree (Fahrenheit) afternoon.

He didn't want to quit, but it wasn't really shooting weather and his group was starting to open up ( after the 5th of eight shots) but for a young shooter he's got the bench work pretty well figured out.

Proud Dad and Son!

They will be here in the morning to "try" :rolleyes: and get a deer. As "hard" as that's been in years prior for Hunterbug and his family we may have a bit more trouble this year due to the drought with the lack of feed and water moving most of the deer to greener pastures, but there are still a few hold outs having a drink at my stock tank across the road.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

sakorick

Terrific shooting for anyone yet a youngster.:MOGRIN:
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Hunterbug

Nice shooting. Did he get a deer?
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

recoil junky

No deer yet. At any rate, we found out that for Neville to legally use his youth tag, while good for unit 4, he must be in the company of his mentor (Nigel) and hunt in the area his tag was issued for, unit 3.

:cens:
:hanged:
:oops:

Nigel's father has property in unit 3 the has a few deer on it, so that's where they are hunting this weekend.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

Hunterbug

Quote from: recoil junkyNo deer yet. At any rate, we found out that for Neville to legally use his youth tag, while good for unit 4, he must be in the company of his mentor (Nigel) and hunt in the area his tag was issued for, unit 3.

:cens:
:hanged:
:oops:

Nigel's father has property in unit 3 the has a few deer on it, so that's where they are hunting this weekend.

RJ

That makes no sense. I get that he would have to be in the company on a mentor but that should be any adult. And if he can't use it in unit 4 then why does it list unit 4 on the tag? :huh:
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

Niccolo Machiavelli

Hunterbug

I'm waiting for Gitano to post the story of our hunt.

Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

It'll be a day or two. I have to take care of all of the things that need taking care of after a 12-day trip. Plus it snowed in south central for the first time this fall, and the internet was down all day yesterday.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: