Stock repair

Started by sakorick, May 15, 2014, 02:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

This is just about the worst I've ever seen. This is the Anschutz I purchased for 50 bucks. There are no spares, so I must figure out a way to fix a sprung stock with a big piece of missing wood. Please tell me what you would do and I'll tell you my plan. Warning this is graphic and ugly. Regards, Rick.

Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

davidlt89

Good golly Rick!!!! that is harsh! Asking what I would do, with my skills, the garbage can comes to mind!!! I am real interested to see how you tackle this one as I am sure you have a solid plan and the stock will look awesome!!! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

sakorick

Quote from: davidlt89;132414Good golly Rick!!!! that is harsh! Asking what I would do, with my skills, the garbage can comes to mind!!! I am real interested to see how you tackle this one as I am sure you have a solid plan and the stock will look awesome!!! God Bless.

Hello David. I'm good with your optimism, however, this one is going to be very difficult and it may very well end up in the trash. Let the immersion begin. Regards, Rick.

sakorick

The Plan: I'm going to attempt to glue the stock back together small sections at a time. This should un-warp the stock gradually. I started on the L side crack first as it is the nastiest. I used a punch to spring the crack open as much as I dared then gobbed on the Tite Bond, used a toothpick to get it way down in the crack and viced her up. Be back in 24 hours.

Jamie.270

Wow Rick, you have really stepped into it this time around.  I'm not sure I'd know where to even start.  Unless it was with the burn pile.

Having said that, you've been gracious enough over the years that I've been here, to share your projects and finished work, and I am ALWAYS impressed.
So if anyone can save that pile o' kindling, I have to believe you're the guy!

I'll be following this one for sure, and hoping for the best possible outcome.
I'm especially interested in how you tackle the warp, and still retain the integrity of the crack repairs.
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

sakorick

Phase 2 complete. No problems yet......need to let things rest for awhile.

sakorick

Moving along, I am almost done with the Left side. Here is the progress.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Looks like someone really did use that as a fence post rammer...
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

sakorick

She's back together. All I need to do now is finish stripping the old stain, apply the new and oil, oil, oil. The best of the news is that the action screw now aligns perfectly. Now to get on with the metal parts. Regards, Rick.

sakorick

This gun looks beautiful. I finished taking out the barrel pitting on the wheel, It went back together like perfect. Now when Bill fires up the blue tank, I take off the cold blue and put a beautiful deep blue on her metal parts. My best save to date. Regards, Rick.

Jamie.270

QuoteMy best save to date. Regards, Rick.
I haven't seen them all, but I would (wood?) agree with that assessment! ;)

Fantastic job Rick.  That is really a phenomenal result, considering what you started with.
Congratulations of a job greatly done!
[/SIZE]
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

QuoteHello David. I'm good with your optimism, however, this one is going to be very difficult and it may very well end up in the trash.
I'd say I called it right on!!!! Simply amazing!! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Jorge in Oz

Awesome resto job. Well done Rick!!
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

buckshot roberts

:bowdown:wow, fine job............Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Tags: