Parker Hale .250-3000 (.250 Savage)

Started by branxhunter, May 13, 2011, 02:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

branxhunter

No, I am pretty sure it was not a factory offered chambering for Parker Hale rifles. Read on....

I was in a town about an hour and a half north of where I live yesterday for work. There is a shop that sells bicycles, fishing and shooting gear, and I try and call in for a look whenever I am passing through.

Among the usual selection of boring new "same-as" synthetic and laminated stocked offerings they had a few interesting pieces; a couple of Brno 601 .308s, an Anschutz 1516 22 mag, a Savage 22lr/.410 combo gun.

I spied a mauser actioned rifle in the rack, and saw that the swing tag read .250 CF. When the shop assisstant handed it over for a look it proved to be a Parker Hale 1100 with the beaver tail fore-end. The interesting part was it had a Winchester barrel on it with the chambering marked as .250-3000, also known as the .250 Savage.

Now this is a cartridge that is not often seen here in Australia. There must be a story behind why someone chose to rebarrel a Parker Hale rifle (possibly it was originally a .22-250, I seem to remember that the .250 Savage is the parent case?) to this chambering. Perhaps they managed to find a good condition, second hand Winchester barrel which made the rebarrel a cheap option? If only guns could talk.....

My reading seems to indicate that the .250 Savage is roughly equivelent to the .243 which is a very popular "do-it-all" chambering for game up to the size of small deer here in Australia. It seems that as a cartridge it is not far behind the .257 Roberts.

Anyone out there got experience with this cartridge?

Marcus

22hornet

I've got no experiance with the little .250 but it is on par with or just slightly behind the .303/25.
The .250 was never as popular as the .303/25 here in OZ but it is still a great little cartridge.
Maybe someone understood that the .250 Savage is a better all rounder for OZ instead of the .22-250.?
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: