The "All Around " calibers:

Started by buckshot roberts, July 16, 2006, 05:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noyb72

John my Spanish is the pre '98. Although I thought it was a 97.  As far as the 7.62x51 vs the .308, I have done some extensive research on the topic. My primary source was an engineer at OLIN WINCHESTER in So Cal. They load both rounds there and he assured me that the rounds were safe in a firearm chambered for the other. Assuming it chambers, the reamers are not exactly the same. I have read "experts" that say the military stuff is hotter, and vise-versa. My Spaniard in not an FR-7 or 8, it is a unmarked model 16. It was the Spanish update to increase the safety of the action in order to handle 7.62x51. I have headspaced it and brinnel teted it and, most important, fired many rounds of .308 win and surplus 7.62x51 through it. I DO NOT RECOMEND CHAMBERING A PRE 98 ACTION TO A .308!! However, this particular rifle seems to cut the mustard. When it is time for a new barrel, it will be chambered for something on the 7mm Mauser case and loaded to SAMMI spec.

Ron

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Ron,

You know what I am about to say....................as much as I love the 7x57 Mauser...............seriously consider the 6.5x55 Swede for your next rebarrel............'nuff said.....:D

Ol' John:cool:
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

kombi1976

Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

Noyb72

John

I'm thinking of the AAR. Actually, I might make one up myself. I like being diffrent, and I like efficiency. I might move the shoulder forward and use a 35 degree angle just to call it mine, we'll see. Right now it's a darn good .308 and my roling block and Savage 340 are what I'm playing with now.

Ron

Tags: