Brief range test

Started by Paul Hoskins, May 09, 2011, 04:54:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Hoskins

Got the old Weaver K8-1 USA sorted out & bolted to the Mossberg 44 US last night. Bought another Mossy scope mount from Havlin Sales. Rough bore sighted it & headed for the range this afternoon. Had a short wait for some young fellows to quit shooting. (Acting silly.) Set up a target at 25 yards & proceded to finish sighting in on paper. Used my favorite ammo, Rem. subsonics. You can see the results in the pictures. I only fired the gun 12 times. It was shooting low & I made adjustments in two shot increments. You can see how it walked up to center. At 25 yards the three last bullets almost went thru the same hole. :COOLdude: This 25 yard target has 9 bullet holes in it. I set up at 50 yards but the plastic pipes in the ground for the target stand was filled with mud from all the storms we've had & I could only see the bottom spots on the target. Dropped the target down but couldn't staple the bottom. I shot three shots with the target flapping in the breeze but that's all I could stand. I quit. ....With calm winds & a more comfortable shooting position, I'm confident this old rifle will shoot better than half inch groups at 50 yards. It defnitely shoots much better than I can. .......Paul H

recoil junky

I have that same scope on my 7mag. It's still the best one I have even after being on  4 different rifles and been rolled on by a horse.

Great shooting Paul.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

branxhunter

That is great shooting there Paul. Very consistent. Obviously nothing wrong with those old Mossies.

Your K8 Weaver looks like it is in much better condition than mine. Mine still shoots well though.

Marcus

Paul Hoskins

Thanks for the flowers guy's. It was the gun, certainly not me. The Lead Sled was a great  help. I shake so bad any more I can't shoot very well. Doctor seems to think it's Parkinsons setting in. The scope is obviously pretty good after & worked it over. I gave a redneck 100 dollars for an old model 340 Savage 222 Rem. with this scope on it years ago. He said it wouldn't shoot any more. The ocular bell was stuck & you couldn't move any  part of it. I took it apart & put a diffrent scope on it & it shot reasonably well. Gave the gun to my brother in law. I recently dug the scope out of the junk box & proceeded to dissect it. Put carburetor cleaner on the lock nut of the eye piece & let ot set overnight. Held the lock ring on a block of wood & pounded it with a plastic hammer. The eye piece loosened but not the lock ring. Pounded it some more & put the scope in a padded vise, wrapped the lock nut with aluminum & attacked the thing with 14 inch channel locks. It worked. Apparently some moron used a black adhesive to lock things together. After a good cleaning it works fine. .....Don't try using a hammer on a scope if you're not sure what you're doing. ......Paul H

JaDub

Nice grouping Paul......  I`d be proud of that irregardless of the range.  That be a fine shooter there buddy.

gitano

QuoteDon't try using a hammer on a scope if you're not sure what you're doing

Being a little over-cautious there aren't ya, Paul? :D

Nice shootin'! Everything - scope and rifle - seem to be in excellent condition.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

Paul, it pays to be careful where optics are concerrned. John Unertl showed me how to use wood, plastic or rawhide mallets/hammers on scope threads that are difficult to move. ....Still haven't checked out the Mossy 44 further. Just from the brief test, I think it'll shoot much better than I can. The bore of the rifle is perfect if there is such a thing. .....The gun is ugly but I don't care.   .....Paul H

sakorick

Quote from: Paul Hoskins;113767Paul, it pays to be careful where optics are concerrned. John Unertl showed me how to use wood, plastic or rawhide mallets/hammers on scope threads that are difficult to move. ....Still haven't checked out the Mossy 44 further. Just from the brief test, I think it'll shoot much better than I can. The bore of the rifle is perfect if there is such a thing. .....The gun is ugly but I don't care.   .....Paul H

I don't think it's ugly at all. In fact, I think it's beautiful and those groups make it look even better. Those old Mossies are scarey accurate. One hole groups are impossible to beat and don't sell yourself short.....once you got it you got it forever. Try some Golden Eagle target or match and you'll see 50 yard one hole groups.  Regards, Rick.:jumpingsmiley:
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Paul Hoskins

Rick, thanks for the flowers. The rifle in question certainly is a tack driver. The shooter has defnitely lost it tho. Honestly, I shake so bad any more I have difficulty feeding myself. The Lead Sled is he only reason the groups are this good. I'm sure it will shoot one hole groups at 25 yards with these Rem. subsonics but I'm thinking 3/8ths to half inch at 50 yards with them. The trigger pull bothers me. It's not bad at all but still moves before I hear bang. I have problems with that any more. ......Paul H

gitano

I wouldn't call it a 'thing of beauty', but I wouldn't call it 'ugly' either. I think those old 'work-horses' look fine. The biggest 'thing' is, it doesn't look like it was designed 'by committee'. I could name a couple that do, but that would just 'start something'. Any rifle that shoots like that has a certain 'beauty' to it.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

Paul, I'll hve to agree with you completely. Seems there's a LOT of guns these days designed by committee. Certainly guns I wouldn't buy for looks. ....Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. .....Paul H

Tags: