Brass Tumblers

Started by teddy12b, March 29, 2005, 08:33:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

teddy12b

I'm considering getting a tumler instead of continueing to use a solution to clean my brass.  It seems to me that since all they do is vibrate that I would be best off to get the cheapest one possible.  Is there any big difference between tumblers other than how much brass and media they can hold?

I'd like to get one, but I'm on a budget.  I'm open to any ideas.

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

teddy12b,

I have been using the Midway tumbler for at least 4 years.....as a matter of fact I have 3 of them.  I prefer the corn cob media.  No problems so far.

Ol' John
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

m gardner

Likewise, the Midway tumbler is a good one and they back up their products. Treated corncob is the best. The tumbler we have has been going since 1996. The Hornaday tumbler split the bowl after 2 years and cost $20.00 to fix. God bless and good shooting.

M1Garand

I've had a hornady M-2 for about 14 years and it still runs strong, no problems whatsoever.  Not sure how you split the bowl.  I wish it had an on/off switch but don't know if any others do either.  For the money, I'd go with the midway one (frankfort arsenal). I think they're on sale for about $37.  

I've always used corncob but recently tried walnut and didn't like it as it leaves a red powder residue on the brass.  But I learned a trick if you throw sections of paper towel in the the tumbler, the residue sticks to it and not your brass.

m gardner

The bowl split around the center and was fixed with duct tape for awhile. Hornaday didn't offer to replace it for free so I bought a new bowl which is perfect so far. God bless and good shooting.

drinksgin (deceased)

Harbor Freight has a 2 drum, 3 lb per drum tumbler on sale for $30 plus shipping, they have a web site.
Don
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

M1Garand

Isn't that a rock tumbler?  Guess it can't be too much different than the RCBS sidewinder.

drinksgin (deceased)

M1;
All the various tumblers are adapted from lapidary tumblers, including the vibratory types.
The lapidary designs go back to before WWII.
Original machines were concrete mixers with the agitator blades removed.

Don
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

Tags: