Spruce Grouse in Skwentna

Started by gitano, August 31, 2015, 06:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

On Friday last, I got a spur-of-the-moment call from Grant's son, Ethan, asking me if I wanted to fly out to Skwentna and do some silver fishing, maybe some moose hunting, and maybe some work on their cabin. Even though I there was a wedding of one of my daughter's friends that I was supposed to attend that evening at 1800, this IS Alaska, and "gone hunting" is a legitimate and valid excuse to miss a wedding as long as you're not part of the wedding party. :D

Unfortunately, upon arrival in Skwentna, Grant informed us that the water in the river was too low to go to the "fishin' hole", OR up-river moose hunting. So it looked like among the three choices of silver salmon fishing, moose hunting, and work, work was going to be the one. That wasn't actually too bad. I like working on house construction and it was nice to get "out" for the weekend.

Saturday morning I got up earlier than Grant and Ethan and headed out to wander the trails looking for grouse - ruffed or spruce. I was carrying the Cape gun that my daughter had shot her first moose with last fall. Left side 10.15x61R Jarmann; right side 16 gauge. It had already shown it was plenty of medicine for moose, so I figured I had the bases covered for birds or moose. Since this thread isn't titled "Moose in Skwentna" you don't have to have much of an imagination to realize that it wasn't moose that I ran into.

Saturday morning I jumped two and got them both. (Not at the same time of course. A bit difficult to get a double with what is essentially a single barrel, breech-break shotgun.) Here's a picture of them and the Cape gun.

Sunday morning the same, only this time only one bird, but a nice 'rooster'.

I ate the gizzards and hearts this afternoon when I got home (Ethan and Grant don't eat "organs".) The birds will age 'til Wednesday or Thursday. If I remember to, I'll take pictures of the 'feast'.

Paul

OOPS! - My daughter used my drilling http://thehunterslife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17765 to shoot her first moose, not this Cape gun.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

I was wondering where you disappeared to. That's a beautiful gun and some nice birds.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

sakorick

Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

recoil junky

Very good Paul. Lovely birds, although "down here" we called then Franklin's grouse or fool hens. Not that we have then in Colorado. I wish we did, just Blues, which are not fools and not as prolific nor as tasty.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

Considering the propensity of bird biologists to "spit hairs", I'm surprised that the Franklin's subspecies hasn't been designated it's own, separate species. It has both geographic and morphological differences from the northern subspecies - the spruce grouse. None of which actually changes anything. (Much like changing the name of a mountain doesn't change the fact that it's still a mountain, in a specific location.)

They're pretty birds to my eye, but then most birds and most flowers and most trees, and most ... are 'pretty' to me. There is only one of the "higher" animals that I genuinely don't like: Hyenas. They're ugly, and they're evil. There is no 'part' of them or their existence that I like.

The ONLY 'stuffed' bird I own is a ring-necked pheasant. That bugs me. BUT... most taxidermists are not very skilled when it comes to birds. There is a fellow up here in AK that makes the most beautiful bird mounts I have ever seen in my life. With no close second. However, he is REALLY proud of them! Last time I checked, which was probably 10 years ago, he wanted $650 for ONE ptarmigan or grouse, and $1000 for a pair. Too much money for a bird mount. Too much money for just about ANY mount for that matter! I'll see if I can find some pictures of his work. I do not exaggerate when I say they look like they are about to fly off!

I'd love to have all of the NA grouse 'on my wall'. ESPECIALLY prairie chickens and sage grouse!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

Nice job Paul! Grouse certainly are fun. We are not allowed to shoot spruce grouse up here...most of them you could walk up to with a stick and beat them to death. I have only seen a handful of them in my life and I shot one by accident when I was 12 years old, got a lecture from my dad on that trip!! I have probably asked before, but how do they compare to ruffed grouse taste wise? God bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

gitano

Quotehow do they compare to ruffed grouse taste wise?
In my opinion, there is no bird that 'compares' to ruffed grouse. Ruffed grouse are at the top of game-bird taste as far as I'm concerned, and there is no close second.

Most folks would place the spruce grouse at the bottom of the above-mentioned list. Not properly prepared, I would too. Their primary food source is spruce needles. If not properly prepared, spruce needles is exactly what they taste like. Yech! HOWEVER, properly AGED, (these are still aging, but will be cooked this evening), they are delicious! Today will be 6 days for the first two and 5 days for the third one. I intend to take some time preparing theses. I have a "special plan" that I am going to try. There will be a post with pictures in the "Cooking" subsite.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

I definitely would like to have a stuffed grouse on the wall. They want 180.00 so I have been holding out, after hearing your prices, it just may happen this year. God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Tags: