Well it's not the Midland 2100

Started by Brithunter, October 10, 2008, 08:46:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brithunter

Hi All,

Just got back from North London and the weather was beautiful for the drive. Got there after a detour, had not been down there from here before and ended up in a different part of North London than I know but I figured it out and got there a little later than intended.

Of course the shop was busy and of course English was NOT the first language of the customer so the transaction took longer than it should do, nothing new as there is a huge Greek population around there who DON'T speak English unless they have to :stare: , anyway so the bad thing is that I got a chance to peruse the stock :greentongue: found the Midland and it was clean and the scope was an Appollo 3*, not a bad scope as it goes, then I spotted a rather clean 308 Win chambered Parker-Hale 1100 Light weight and somehow it followed me home. OK it cost a few pounds more and doesn't have a scope but it does have the P-H scope blocks. I have some P-H rings and even a P-H one piece mount not I just have to decide on which scope to put on it :biggthumpup: .

Now for the dilema :undecided: under the factory finish there is some nice grain :confused: so the question is do I strip it off and apply a nice oiled finish after an application of Red Oil to bring the grain out? The factory finish is mainly intact with just slight wear showwing in a couple of places. I think I will try cleaning it first and see how it looks however the bedding will require some looking at as it appears some one has had a "got at it" and you can feel a little movement so.................................

Oh the rifle is of 1986 vintage :biggthumpup: .

Edit:-

Ah found the P-H one piece alloy mount and tried it then looked outt he Leupold M8 Compact 4X scope and put that on the rifle. Not sure about the eye relief but will try it out on the range and see how it goes. First I have to clean the bore but I still feel that the bedding will need attending to but after taking the stock off and looking at it closely I feel it might need more careful consideration it might need more skill than I have in this to be unoticable from the outside. The barrel is touching the stock on the left of the fore stock and not on the right. The fore ends on these are very slim so it needs careful work. I will take it to a good smith for further evaluation and his advice.

Oh and for Sakorick it still has it's fore sight hood and it's iron sights which on this model is a Williams rear sight. Photos will folow soon once I get some taken and uploaded.
Go Get them Floyd!

gitano

You don't seem to have too much problem getting your hads on guns when you want to... ;)

Sounds like a very nice rifle. Personally, I'd be inclined to leave a factory finish on a rifle if it was in good shape. If not, I wouldn't hesitate to change it.

Looking forward to pics.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Brithunter

Hi Gitano,

Ahh well I had an open slot for that 308 Brithunter project however the Police were getting awkward over my having the spare barrel for this project, so I cut off the chamber and thread (they had to come off anyway) so it was basically a blank, tube with spiral grooves don't the bore. However they still didn't like it and I am expecting a "Visit" over this. So I thought I would fill the slot so started looking round and the Midland came up in discussion here so I followed that lead. Then of course I stumbled across this Light Weight.

Now I cleaned the rifle last night including the stock and the finish is worn is several places, worn through to the wood beneath so I have this morning in the light of day I have decided that it will be re-finished. By that I mean I will remove the original finish and replace it with a hand rubbed oil finish there are no dings to be removed although I might have to fill the grain slightly to get a proper smooth oil finish.

What I did discover is that the rifle was most likely owned by a club shooter and that the bore near the muzzle is fouled with leading so it seems its been used for shooting cast bullets and I am trying to remove that now. Scubbing with P-H 009 is not doing that much so I will fire a few normal jacketed rounds then clean again and see if that removes the final leading. I had to adjust the trigger as it was horrid with creep and virtually two stage :eek: someone must have played with the adjustments to get it like that, luckily they are of the Timmney type with three adjustments so I played a little with it and have nearly got it "right" once I locate my P-H trigger leaflet I will re-do it to get it perfect.

Oh I took offf the one piece mount witht eh M8 Leupold Compact in it as it didn't look right so I swopped it for a 4x32 Nikko Sterling "Special" with post and cross hait reticle in P-H alloy rings for now. Ido have a rther nice older Hensodlt Dural-Dialytan 4x rail mount scope that might look good on this but I need to source mounts other wise I might have to rob a Pecar off another rifle to suit it as it doesn't want anything too large to overwhelm the rifle.

Now the sun is out so I will try to take a few photos in the garden of the rifle a little later :) .
Go Get them Floyd!

Tags: