Standard Cartridge Series - 220 Swift

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), October 12, 2004, 08:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Edward (deceased)

Seems to me that we have one or two members that can speak about this cartridge.  I've chambered for a number or prairie dog shooters in New Mexico, Colorado and Montana but have never owned one myself.

M1Garand

I've always liked the .220 Swift and for a long time thought about getting one.  I instead opted for a new Ruger #1 in the .204.  Maybe one day I will think about it again and have an excuse for something new.

CAfrica

I am one of the 220Swift owners. My Model 70 Winchester has a 26" bbl and with those 50gr norma's I get the advertised velocities (average of 4116ft/s over many tests). My handloads are 40gr pure copper bullets at 4270ft/s. These are special "so-called" high velocity bullets. They have driving bands to reduce bbl contact (and therefore bbl friction) and they are moly coated.

Here is a bullet that was Tapped through a BBL to show how the lower driving bands make for lower friction and show the bullet shape upon exiting.

This rifle is mainly used for varminting but I also hunt small game with it.  It stays within 2.5 inches of point of aim for well over 300 yards with the right zero and is very useful in plains country where long shots are required.

With these bullets, obviously nullet failure is not an issue and one can confidently take on even larger game.  It takes this rifle out of the varmint class and into the hunting class.

Regards.

C

NUMBERFARMER

The swift has provided me with many hours of hunting and shooting enjoyment.  I shoot two swifts, one is a M77V and the other is a #1V both have proven to be very accurate guns with a 64 grain winchester bullet over H414 or H4831.  They also shoot very well using 55 grain bullets over H380.  Case life has been less than desireable and new brass seems to be needed about every 6th or 7th revolution.  I have wondered if the RCBS X dies might solve this problem.  The round has proven to be extremely accurate and one I use to shoot at gallon milk jugs full of water at 500 plus yards. Please don't try this unless you have adequate terrain to surround the jugs. You will get an occaisional ricochet off the water.  They are also great guns for hunting coyotes and praire dogs.  They will heat up quickly and sustained fire can be very hard on barrels.  While considered barrel burners, I must confess to having fired many rounds through these guns and still have very good groups.  The key for me when using the swift has been slower rates of fire and higher rates of cleaning (something I do not like to do).  With all its supposed problems, the swift would still be one of the last guns that I would give up if I were forced to make choices in caliber. It is a great one, but expensive to shoot if you don't reload.

deadeye2

Hi Jay
I load for the 220 Swift but do not own one.  I much perfer the 22-250. Brass life is just one of the problems I have found with Swift.

I have a couple of friends that own 220 Swifts and they have great luck with them. I don't think either use them for anything but varmint hunting.

I am going nuts since we moved to Arkansas. I just got my loading "stuff" set up. I found that I have way too many bullets on hand, about 10,000 more or less. I had no ideal that I had that many until I started to pack  and moved them!
Be Safe...Have Fun

deadeye2

Hunterbug

I keep toying with the idea of a Swift. It would be a great long range coyote gun. It's a touch faster than the 22-250 and not quite as common which I like too.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

You want uncommon??? Try the .22/.30-30. :) You'll soon apppreciate "common".

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: