Nice surprise!

Started by davidlt89, May 26, 2014, 07:18:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidlt89

So, after getting that ground hog, I decided to set few cage traps. I had them set for fisher and marten, and anything else that would go in them last year and used muskrat for bait. This was fully intact on one of the traps and I don't have a skull from one yet. This is going to be really easy to take care and get in the collection!!! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

I got the skull cleaned up by boiling in sodium sulfate. I then let it sit in bleach and forgot about it for a couple days. Bleach made it awful brittle. I picked it up by the zygomatic arch and it snapped. I was very careful after that!!! should have it together this weekend.

also working on a whitetail European mount for a friend. skull came out real nice. just need to figure out how to mount it, or I should say, the best way to mount it. Any of you guys have European mounts you could show me a picture of? God Bless.

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

gitano

True "European" mounts usually have the skull cut off above the upper jaw. I'll see if I can find a picture I have already posted of one of mine. "American" "European" mounts (which are actually simply "skull" mounts) usually don't bother cutting off the upper jaw. My preference is the actual European mount style. It also facilitates mounting.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

I have not cut off anything, only thing missing is the mandible! just looking for a way to mount it for him. God Bless.

gitano

Well, I went lookin' for a good picture of a true European mount, and couldn't find one on the internet. As usual, lots of "experts" (including "professional" taxidermists) that don't know the difference between a "skull mount" and a "European" mount. I'll take a picture of a perfect one.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: