Father son fishing trip!

Started by davidlt89, June 13, 2011, 05:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidlt89

well, decided it was time to take my son on his first fishing trip in a stream!!! he has never tried this sort of fishing before, it was my "bread and butter" growing up!!! He has been trolling on the river but not had a chance to get into the water and do some casting! He was pretty excited to go! He ditched me last weekend so I went by myself and came home with a limit. I could see by the look on his face he had made the wrong decision so he was not gonna make the same mistake this weekend. It was actually cold yesterday. don't think it got out of the 50's and lots of wind. he helped me load up the truck and off we went. I tried to "explain" some things to him, but he was not doing much listening on the way there. we parked the truck and had about a half mile walk to get started. I did more explaining in the walk but I could see all the learning would be hands on! I cut into the woods to hit the stream and we got in the water. he immediately said it was cold and he was right. it was warmer last weekend. I baited his hook and told him to cast. I must admit, he is a good caster for never really having done it. I had informed him before we started that he would probably cast into a few trees, it would just be part of learning and not to worry about it:D was not long after being in the water he lost his footing and fell in up to his neck. I must say, he was not happy with this and asked how much longer we would be! I gave him the motivational speech and picked up a quick fish and it got him excited and put us back in business. He had a problem keeping his lure active in the current as it was either on top of the water, or stuck on bottom. once he learned to watch his spinner in the water, he caught a fish. luckily this fish pretty much swallowed the worm and was not getting off. we took a picture with my phone and immediately sent it to mom. Heres the boy with his first fish.

Now he knew what it felt like to get a bite and he was pumped!!!! we came up to a nice deep hole and I told him there was fish there so he got his serious face on and made a nice cast into it. I "coached" him while he was bringing his worm back in and he told me he was getting a bite. I could also see it on his pole. I told him to give it a snap and he soon had his second fish, which just happened to be the biggest one of the day!!! we edged through that spot and came up to another good hole when he said he was just to cold and wanted to go home. I told he could stand on shore and I was just going to fish this next hole and he could watch and he agreed. I put on my serious face and decided to show my son what years of experience could do! I had grand plans on finishing out our limit and getting him home. I edged myself into the hole and commenced to lose worm after worm! after about the 5th worm my son looked at me and said, "maybe you should do it like I do dad, my way catches fish!". I decided it was time to wrap it up and get home. all in all, we had a good time and he caught fish!! He really did a stellar job for his first time. Just wish it had been a little warmer and we could of put more time in. here is what we managed to bring home.

Hopefully the stage is set for many more trips. Brook fishing is just pure fun for me, its like small game hunting, just plain ole fun!!!!!
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

recoil junky

My congratulations to the lad. Well done!!

From the look on his face I'd say he's hooked!!

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

JaDub

Fun stuff , David.  I think he`s just a chip off the ole block, eh ??

JaDub

gitano

QuoteHeres the boy with his first fish.

First fish of the day, or first fish ever?

By some miracle - considering the era - I have a picture of the first fish I ever caught. AND I made sure I got pictures of the first fish each of my girls caught. Those pictures are VERY valuable.

Very cool. It's great to have brook trout streams you can fish like this.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

Actually Paul, it is his first fish in a stream wading. It is actually his second fish ever (brook trout). I have the picture of his first trout a couple years ago. God bless.

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

gitano

I thought I had seen pics of earlier catches, but wasn't sure. An old German woman I used to know was wont to say: "You can have all my things, but I'll fight the devil for my pictures."

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

buckshot roberts

:yes:awesome you don't see this stuff on tv.........Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

drinksgin (deceased)

A different area, here I was hooked on creek and stock tank fishing, the creek fish are mostly sunfish and bullheads, with the occasional large mouth bass, american eels and channel cat.
If a bowfin hits, things can get VERY interesting, they are really hard fighters, but are not for eating.
Stock tanks can yield a lot of interesting fish, mostly sunfish, including large mouth bass but crappie, bullheads, flatheads, shiner minnows up to 12" and some huge snappers, both common and alligator.
I do fish rivers and lakes, but still prefer small waters.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

gitano

Quotebut are not for eating.
I love 'em! AND they are great fighters!

A lot of my early fishing was pretty much as Don described his.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Beauties! Nice mess. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

davidlt89

QuoteA different area, here I was hooked on creek and stock tank fishing, the creek fish are mostly sunfish and bullheads, with the occasional large mouth bass, american eels and channel cat.
I do find it interesting how the fishing, or should I say, the fish differ in different locations. I may be wrong, but what I believe you call a "creek" we call a "brook" up in these parts. I have many hours brook fishing growing up, plus I lived right by two rivers. Our main catch in these areas are brook trout. There were some "trash" fish that we called chub and suckers that you would also get, with an occasional yellow perch mixed in the river! Brook trout are very abundant up here. As far as "stock tanks", they don't exist in my area. the only things that get stocked once in awhile are lakes and  fish are not easily caught after stocking. I did an internship with the connecticut wolves soccer time back in college and it blew my mind that the state stocked brooks!! they would stock it one day and the people would fish it out in the next two days, just did not make sense to me!
Quoteshiner minnows up to 12"
we use shiners to catch trout up here,  have never in my life seen one more than 2-3" long!!!
God Bless.

Tags: