Bear of a lifetime

Started by davidlt89, September 30, 2021, 06:30:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidlt89

Well, bear season kicked off here in Maine at the end of August. Here we are allowed to take one with rifle and one by trapping. I managed to use my rifle tag a couple weeks ago a small black bear. It has been a funny season, I started off with 5 bear then when the natural food became more available, they all but disappeared. I did have one young one coming and had hopes of my youngest son getting his first bear, but it did not work out. So I ended up shooting it later on.

Right about the end of baiting season, I got pictures of this big boy and I immediately got out my snare and set it up the first opportunity I had. When I went in the next morning, this is what I had.

Long story short, this bear weighed in at 400lbs dressed!! It is an absolute monster. I really did not know what I had until we tried to put it on the truck!! I literally could not be happier, it is a bear of a lifetime.

Wanted to share with you guys since you seemed to like the bear pictures when I used to post. I also want Paul Hoskins to get a look at this monster as I am sure he has seen them just as big!! God Bless.

400lb 5 by David LeTourneau, on Flickr

400lb 3 crop by David LeTourneau, on Flickr

400lb 2 by David LeTourneau, on Flickr

400lb 1 by David LeTourneau, on Flickr
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Jamie.270

WOW!  Congratulations David!!!
That is an absolute beast of a blackie.
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

gitano

What a MONSTER!

I have never personally seen a black bear that big from someone I knew! Even for the northeast, that's a BIG bear! Congratulations, and thanks for posting pictures and details here at THL.

Waiting for age and skull measurements.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Paul Hoskins

Great bear, David.  Good job. Congrat;s on a monster. Makes me wish I was there.Almost identical to the one I kkilled in 1995. Yours does look a bit bigger than mine. I can relate to the problem of moving a varmint like that out  of the woods. I really appreciate you not sitting  on the bear to pose for pictures. Such disrespect for the animal irks me no end. ......To answer your question, yes. I have seen at least two bigger bears & a third one that " might" have been bigger. I would "guess" them to be in the 600 to 700 pound raange. I don't shoot at big game animals unless I'm sure I can kill it the first shot. That's one reason I hunt with  a single shot rifle. .......Thanks for  sharing with us. ......Paul H

davidlt89

thanks Gentlemen, appreciate the kudos!!!

Paul, should have the skull measurements in about 50 days. There is a 60 day drying period before it can be measured I guess. I had a guy from downstate qualified to measure get a hold of me and is chomping at the bit to see what it measures. I should know the age soon.

Paul H- I was betting you had seen a few bigger!:) I only know of one bigger than this one this year, it dressed at 431lbs. Most people will not for the life of me weigh their bear dressed. The guides up here won't weigh any of their sports bears dressed. makes them look better and makes the hunter happier!! I have gotten into some "interesting" conversations about it, it bugs me!
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Tags: