Back Yard "Hunting"

Started by Hammer-52, November 28, 2008, 12:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hammer-52

I live in an area with a large population of deer; infact on any given day I can usually see 6 or more deer (mostly does) in my unfenced backyard. I live outside the city limits in the county on about .5 acres. I'm thinking of taking up bow hunting to do my part to control the heard--my wife is even thinking of doing the same. We also get turkeys (6-10).

Now the question: Game & Fish says it is legal but what does the hunting community think of taking a deer or turkey from the back porch?

Looking forward to the replies.
"The less government we have the better -- the fewer laws and the less confided power. The antidote to this abuse of formal government is the influence of private character, the growth of the individual." --Ralph Waldo Emerson

Daryl (deceased)

Hammer,

I see nothing wrong with it at all.  I've never shot a deer from the back porch, mostly because I've never had the chance.  Several here hunt close to their own home, or around the homes of friends or family.

Deer are a renewable resource; make the best of it.  

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

davidlt89

the biggest deer I ever shot I steadied my gun off of my friends garage!!! I see absolutely nothing wrong it and I think you will enjoy it. God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Alboy

We were just discussing that same thing 2 days ago. Hank felt it was an inconvienience but his wife makes him step off the porch and walk to the fence.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

bowhunter 51

I'm cool with it.............I've taken deer from my back porch............BH51....
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

Vermonster

I just posted this in another forum yesterday.  My cousin just got a nice 4 pointer in Maine, from her laundry room....... :D

I only got 1 reply out of about 2 pages that made any sort of comment eluding to the "hunting" aspect.

If it's legal, and you make use of the deer, then I don't feel anyone has any right to criticize you at all.  I say shoot away.  In fact, if you need any help, let me know..... :biggthumpup:

LvrLover

It should fit in well with all the INTERNET shopping that is going on these days. It's convenient and delivered right to your door! BTW make sure you wear earplugs if you shoot from inside or the porch. Confined spaces really make the report loud.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." General John Stark

RatherBHuntin

I don't have any problems with it all, though personally I wouldn't call it hunting.  Bringin home the groceries is bringin home the groceries, call it whatever you want.  If they are running amuck in your vegetable garden like they with some of the folks on here, they need shot.  If you planted the veggies and fruit trees, then the deer ate them, the deer just volunteered to replace the tomatoes and cauliflower on the plate....his choice.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

bowhunter 51

Wouldn't call it huntin' either, Glenn..More like shot-placement practice
using an edible target....compensates for the rising costs of hunting and
food....after'all....ya gotta trim your back'yard herd or it will get out of
hand...I don't like to see a deer herd getting comfortable bedding down in
your backyard, as I have...protected by farm dogs.............................BH51.....

Hammer-52

Thanks All!!  No I wouldn't really call it "huntig" either--like the "bringing home the groceries" line.  

Of couse the family will make use of the deer meat.  Now we just need to be "archery certified" a requirement here in Idaho to hunt with a bow.  This way I can focus my hunting on the elk and other game.

Now I 'm approved :D  (by the finance chief) to buy some archery gear maybe even get her involved.
"The less government we have the better -- the fewer laws and the less confided power. The antidote to this abuse of formal government is the influence of private character, the growth of the individual." --Ralph Waldo Emerson

Paul Hoskins

Nothing wrong with shooting deer from the back porch. I've shot them from the family room window and the back door. Even shot one from a lady's bedroom window. Didn't even bother putting my pants on.   .............Paul H

gitano

QuoteI don't have any problems with it all, though personally I wouldn't call it hunting. Bringin home the groceries is bringin home the groceries, call it whatever you want.
Ditto.

That said, I shot this fella in my pajamas (how he got in my pajamas I'll never know:cheesy: ) this past season. I had one foot in the back door. It doesn't resemble hunting in any way shape or form other than I used a firearm to 'collect the groceries'.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Daryl (deceased)

gitano,

I bet the meat tastes just as good, and maybe better, since you can take care of it quicker. ;)

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Alboy

I agree with Daryl and I see you had your trusty guide and skinner johnny on the spot to take care of such chores.:biggthumpup:
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

davidlt89

looks like you had a good moose season!!!! Nice looking animal!
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

bowhunter 51

If'n I see something like that in my backyard, ...I better be shooting
through an open window in my bathroom....:anxious: ............................BH51......

gitano

Thanks to all for the kind comments. I s'pose I should mention it was taken with the Martini .50 Alaskan and one of my home-made bullets. He went about 7 body lengths after being shot through the lungs.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

whacker1

My only suggestion is talk to your neighbors in case you have an animal go very far on you.  .5 acres is smaller than what I am used to when we hunt on my Grandparents farm in Western WA.  Knowing that you are in North Idaho & I from Spokane.  this conversation has come up before in the Hayden area where neighbors don't understand that you have to thin the herd out to minimize the nuisance animals.  This is a heated issue for some in the area, because there was lots of development over a short period of time, and the deer stuck around and populations, because the area is no longer hunted due to the more residential feel.  

Good luck with your new "grocery getter"
Neil

Daryl (deceased)

Quote from: gitano;87165Thanks to all for the kind comments. I s'pose I should mention it was taken with the Martini .50 Alaskan and one of my home-made bullets. He went about 7 body lengths after being shot through the lungs.

Paul

And I bet that makes the meat taste even better! ;)

Congrat's Paul.

Daryl

RIP Linden33

gitano

Quote from: Daryl;87291And I bet that makes the meat taste even better!

It shore duzzent hurt the taste... ;)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

locknloadnow

Quote from: Paul Hoskins;86988Nothing wrong with shooting deer from the back porch. I've shot them from the family room window and the back door. Even shot one from a lady's bedroom window. Didn't even bother putting my pants on. .............Paul H

(laughter...)  now that's funny...:D

Tags: