has anyone here hunted africa ?

Started by greywolf, May 07, 2008, 08:02:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greywolf

There is this old guy at walmart that goes regularly to africa for plains game, he is not a rich man , but he tells me that he has never paid more than 10k for a 7 species plains game hunt, and tells me that africa is the cheapest  place to go for " foriegn " hunts. How accurate is this ? I have seen places offering same type of hunts for untold thousands in the range of 20k plus. For under 10k i'd prob go , but not for those "mortgage your house" deals:)
- Fire up the grill ! \'Cause huntin , ain\'t catch and release!

-www.torontothebad.com.... help us fight bad gun laws ! boycott toronto!

Jay Edward (deceased)

Hmmmmmm...  I've guided hunts that I thought were waaaaaaaay too expensive for the return.  I think the silliest was $5,000 for a two day hunt for deer and elk in a southern state.

For some of the city dwellers who are willing to pay vast amounts of money for guided hunts, I suppose they aren't expensive when you compare the price to their monthly income.

I'm not sure how much the cost of an airline ticket is to Africa nor do I know the going rate for plains game.  What I'm wondering about is the incidental costs as well as the costs of bringing game or game parts home.

I reckon it might be just be worthwhile to run up some sort of comparison chart that covers western state elk hunting to an African plains animal hunt that is the equivalent.  

It just seems to me that activities that I would have to pay for in any foreign country I can accomplish myself with a little sweat.

greywolf

i utterly agree with you , but if it is more resaonable than  what i have been told , and it comes down to more like  what the guy at wally world says , then i'd be inclined to give it a go , we prob spend more than that on standard vacationsa, but yes i agree outfitters and the like are way out of line in thier charges in my opinion, i should be able to go it alone , i can understand the license costs for non residents etc.... but i can't understand being forced to have an outfitter, if they are worried about me getting lost in the bush , they can come up with other means , such as making one sign a prommisory note stating if I screw up i have to pay all costs associated with rescuing me  etc.... but not force one to shell out exorbitant $ for the right to hunt :) just my opinion . But I do want to hunt africa , but at the cheapest price i can possibly get , i'll never do elephant or cape buffalo , i don't have 30+ k to spend on that  , but i wouldn't mind a 5-8k    7 species hunt for a week :)
- Fire up the grill ! \'Cause huntin , ain\'t catch and release!

-www.torontothebad.com.... help us fight bad gun laws ! boycott toronto!

Jay Edward (deceased)

Quote from: greywolf;78624But I do want to hunt africa , but at the cheapest price i can possibly get , i'll never do elephant or cape buffalo , i don't have 30+ k to spend on that  , but i wouldn't mind a 5-8k    7 species hunt for a week

Doesn't sound too bad when you put it that way.  I'm still wondering if the fella at Wal-Mart included the total cost from front door to front door or just the hunt itself.

The last hunt I saw advertised had a whole bunch of hunters sitting around a table in what looked like a semi-permanent hut.  The hunts I've been involved in, we supplied the tents and they weren't always at the same spot.  Would they really let you wander off alone?  Or does their governing body demand that you always have a certain number of folks with you?

I guess a hunter would have to really do some self-education so that there wouldn't be any surprises.  It all sounds pretty good when the PH's make their statements here on the forum but I've been used to dealing with folks face-to-face for large expenditures.  Even then I don't know that I've done more than break even on my good/bad decision.

grayghost

You can hunt Africa for less than a Texas Deer hunt. One of the ranches I hunt on offers a 5 day hunt with 3 trophy animals for under $2,200. 10 days with 8 animals for under $6,000. Other than incidentals (tips, souvenirs etc) it's all inclusive: ground transportation, food/drinks, lodging, daily laundry, PH, Tracker/Skinner's, field prep of trophies etc. You can email me for details. I go twice a year. BTW, airfare runs $2,000-$2,500 round trip, thanks to the price of fuel nowadays. Good hunting, grayghost
In the end....the Hunter hunts himself

joeberman334

Check out a couple of these sites...the prices are unbelievably low.  

www.luxuryhunts.com
This is the package I am going to book

Package 1
6 Trophy Animals, 7 days
2X1 @ $4,495
Upgrade $350
Valid untill 31 October 2008 and subject to change whitout notice.Choose 2 of 5: Choose 2 of  3: 1 Each of the following: Kudu
Gemsbok
Hartebeest
Blue Wildebeest
Black Wildebeest Impala
Blesbuck
Black Springbuck Cape Springbuck
Mountain Reedbuck

Just google search "African Hunting Safari" and check out the dozens of places for yourself!  Good luck!

bradking1

Hello

I'm new here and saw this post.  I have been to S. Africa and Mozambique.  Both were great hunts and am desperately wanting to go again.  As for my experiences in Africa I can tell you that you can do a hunt there cheaper than a good whitetail hunt in TX...I used to guide in TX years ago and it was expensive then but is attrocious now.

I did both of my hunts for well under 10K...plains game in RSA and Buffalo and plains game in Moz.  If you do some research and definitely research your outfitters you should still be able to find a really good plains game hunt for around 5-6K for something like 2 or 3 large antelope (kudu, gemsbok, hartebeest,blue and black wildebeest,nyala etc.) and 3-4 medium antelope (bushbuck, impala, blesbok, springbok, reedbuck, etc.)  This would be hunting in RSA or Namibia most likely.  As for dangerous game hunts it can get expensive but if you can hunt near the end of the season there are usually some great deals to be had.  I did the buffalo hunt in Moz at the end of the season...was great and saw hundreds of buff but i must say the weather was blistering...i was in the swamps in 125 degrees with no less than 90% humidity. :eek:  If you pay attention to your fluid intake and make sure you are well hydrated it will be great.

The plane tickets from Kansas City to Mozambique round trip were about $1700 and the bush plane charter into/out the hunting area ran about $600.  I think the airfare is probably the most cost prohibitive part of the hunt.  As for the hunting, you will be absolutely amazed!!!  On a plains game hunt you will probably see more game in the first day than you would see in a whole hunting season.

Africa is definitely a magical and addicting place...better go see it while you are physically able.

take care
Brad

rockinbbar

I love to go for African predators.

Not necessarily the big ones, just lots of the smaller ones.

I really don't want to kill a lion or a leopard, but hyeana & other "dogs" would do nicely.

It would be great to see the plains game and be around them as well. :D

Barry
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

M. R. Byrd

You guys are making me want to go and the years are starting to pile up on this old body. This year I will just have to stick to my Colorado elk hunt.

Maynard Reece Byrd
Dodge City
Maynard Reece Byrd
Dodge City

Rick

I went to South African and shot a kudu, 2 impala, a blue wildebeest, a waterbuck, a warthog, a red hartebeest and a waterbuck for under 10k.  I used credit card miles for my airfare.  Airfare will run about 2k otherwise.  You could leave off 2 of the larger animals to make up the difference, if you had to keep it under 10k.  

Getting trophies home will run anywhere from $1000 on up, depending on what you have done.  I did mainly european mounts (skull with horns) and a rug or two.   Some people just bring back tons of pictures and leave the trophies there, figuring that they have either saved enough for another trip or saved the cost of the airfare.    If you have taxidermy done here, you can get the hides shipped over and have the mounts done as you can afford them.

Bushwack

Hi Rick, i am a PH nad outfitter in South Africa, please feel free to look at my pricing on my web site: bushwacksafaris.co.za. I have a bunch of packages under the 10k (hunt only) I have concession in two of SA's provinces (impopo and Northwest).

Cheers
Dream it...Discover it...Experience it...

Bushwack

Bushwack

You still get cheap hunts in South Africa, just screen all hunting operators on pricing...Don't ever believe that the first option is the only option, do your homework...
Dream it...Discover it...Experience it...

Bushwack

Cleo Benaion

I'm from Brazil (sorry about my poor english) I'm going hunt in RSA next june for the third time. I never spended more then US$6000,00 including air tickets and shopping. My bag came with kudu, nyala, trhee impalas, 6 warthogs, blesbok, sprigbok and reedbok. For this season I'm lokking for bushbuck, mountain reedbok, duiker (gray/Red), bushpig, steenbok... and another Impala and warthog.
Google is a great place to find a very good hunts and no so expensive in RSA.

gitano

Welcome Cleo. Your English is just fine.

We'll be looking forward to seeing some of your pictures from your upcoming hunt.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Cleo Benaion

Quote from: gitano;92034Welcome Cleo. Your English is just fine.

We'll be looking forward to seeing some of your pictures from your upcoming hunt.

Paul

Thanks  Paul, certainly I will show you all the photos.

Tags: