A tired old BSA CF2 .222

Started by branxhunter, March 28, 2024, 04:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

branxhunter

My friend Brad inherited his dad's BSA .222 when his dad died 5 years ago. He's been using it for foxes and four legged crop raiders under the spotlight but results have been inconsistent. 

I suggested that unless completely shot out .222s are usually accurate enough for his intended use so something is probably amiss. I said bring it around and I'll have a look.

Sooooo....... it's an CF2, and is a typical cockies rifle that hasn't been coddled.

branxhunter

I haven't played with one of these before.

The bore was pretty ragged. Brad can't remember ever cleaning it, and apparently his dad wasn't big on gun maintenance. We ran quite a few patches through it a got some beautiful blue patches.

Shot some groups which were terrible.

Marcus

branxhunter

The crown looked a bit sad so took the barrelled action down to a clever fella to get an inch or so lopped off the end.

He took a look through it with the borescope and it was a waste of time, the barrel was completely stuffed.

Later he sectioned the barrel which tended to confirm his diagnosis

branxhunter

So rebarrelling would be the only way to resurrect the old girl, but was it worth spending money on? I asked if he had any take off barrels that might suit. 

The key constraint is the shank diameter on these BSAs - at 1.235" outer diameter, 1.115" outer thread diameter there are not many candidates. 

After some head scratching and searching he did manage to dredge up an ex-F-class .224 cal barrel on a SMLE No.4 action which had enough meat and length. For the princely sum of $100 fitted it was too good an opportunity to pass up.

It took a few weeks for the work to get done, primarily because I hadn't taken the bolt down with the barrelled action. In the meantime I stripped the stock.

branxhunter

After stripping the old finish back, steaming dents, a light sanding and two coats of Tru-oil

branxhunter

Got the rebarrelled action back, adjusted the trigger, and put it back together - looks good with the heavy barrel.

branxhunter

Tried it out with a variety of factory loads and reloads and it is shooting much better and showing potential for more load development.

Marcus

Jamie.270

Wow,...  That's a peach!

Well done sir.

Jamie
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

Tags: