Sxs .45-70

Started by drinksgin (deceased), December 06, 2012, 11:18:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drinksgin (deceased)

For those who may be looking for one,Able Ammo, in their online listings, show the USSG MP 221, sxs , in stock and less than $1000.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

22hornet

These are the Russian ones? Made by Baikal?  For a very cheap double gun, I hear good things about them.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

drinksgin (deceased)

Yes, the site shows they are made by Baikal.
As several here have posted, Baikal firearms are built with the grace and style of a brick wall, but are very accurate and durable.
I really doubt you would not get a very decent firearm, and at a LOT less than almost anywhere.

gitano

$917 certainly isn't bad for a SxS rifle, AND I really like the barrel regulation concept on the Baikal. However, I've held several Baikal firearms, and if I'm going to get a one-in-a-lifetime SxS rifle, I'll save my pennies up and pay the three-fold increase for a Sabatti. The "low end" of "real" double rifles. http://www.gunsinternational.com/Sabatti-Rifles.cfm?cat_id=545

Now if the Baikal was down around the $500 mark - as it was first advertised several years ago by Remington - that'd be a different story.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

22hornet

I would go for one of these. I has shot one of these in the flesh, in 8x57 Rimmed. They look great, with more traditional lines.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

gitano

Love that one. What is it?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

Quote from: drinksgin;123241Baikal firearms are built with the grace and style of a brick wall

Sounds like a 788. Remington was marketing them (Baikal) a few years ago and I was drooling but apprehensive.

Quote from: drinksgin;123241but are very accurate and durable.

And why have a rifle that isn't?

Not that I wouldn't own a pretty rifle, but then I like mules too.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

22hornet

Quote from: gitano;123285Love that one. What is it?

Paul

It's a Pedersoli Kodiak. I have only seen a few and only shot one. By all accounts, for the money, they are supposed to be quite good.

drinksgin (deceased)

They are also available in MLs, starting at about $ 7-800 in.54 and .72.
RJ, we KNOW you are a mule, er, mule lover.
Do they kiss you or just f--t in your face as Grandpa's pair did?

gitano

I didn't recognize that as the Pedersoli Kodiak. I have been looking at those for some time, but they have been steadily increasing in price, far outstripping inflation. I THINK they are about $3000 now.

The muzzle-loading version is called the "Express", and the cartridge version is called the Mark IV. There is a  'deluxe' Mark IV on gunbroker currently listed for $5000. The 'cheap' versions are right at about $3000 I think.

Nice guns, but I might go for the Sabatti over the Pedersoli. I'd hold both in my hands before I made a decision.

I'm not sure there is $2000 difference in the quality of the Baikals and the Pedersolis/Sabattis, BUT there most certainly IS a difference. When it comes to buying SERIOUS stuff - and I mean ALL kinds of stuff; tool, furniture, cars, etc. - I have in my age come to realize that money spent on quality usually pays off in the long run. That's not to say that inexpensive 'tools' aren't as "good" as expensive ones, rather it means that the expensive ones will RETAIN value beyond their "tool-ness". Inexpensive ones, as a general rule, will not. I have LOTS of inexpensive 'stuff' that served me well, but very little of it is worth more than 'salvage' at this time.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: