CVA Bobcat

Started by drinksgin (deceased), November 10, 2004, 05:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shootdown

I'm not a big fan of cabelas. BUT, they have a pretty good sale on black powder guns.one as low as 69.00. might be worth the time to check their web sight out.;)

slamfire

My youngest gave me one for Christmas 2 years ago. He spent $60, and I spent $100 on possibles. :p I found out mine shoots 245 grain Buffalo Ballets as well as prbs. :D I managed to get three rounds with 75 grains of FFg Wano to touch each other from 50 yards with my elbows rested on the hood of my tractor!
 There is always a tree or stump nearby here in E TN, so I haven't tried offhand shooting yet.
 I had a Kick-Eze slip on pad on my .35 Remington, that works well on tamin' the recoil, danged stock was a little short anyway. :cool:
Bold talk, from a one-eyed fat man. ;)

shootdown

have had the new barrel for the bobcat for a week or two now. doesn't shot as good as the first one. found out that my eyes don't see as good as they once did. the sights are pretty hard to use. so I put on an ajustible rear sight, helped quite a bit. the story is that a rifle will shoot the same at 25 metters as at 200 yards. 25 yards is close to 82 feet and some inches. so I cut that in half for 100 yards. in theory it should work. have always had the tendency to shot high and too the right. but I don't miss all that much. mostly when I rush the shot. think I like this black powder rifle enought  that I'll just use it all the time for hunting. seems that the last 10 years or so most shots at deer have been less tha 100 yards. so why not just use this black powder rifle. I realy like the one shot set up. cuz try as hard as I can two quick shots are out of the question. my hand eye and toung quordination just ain't the same.

Well enought said for tonight. But I like this black powder stuff!!

Merry Christmas    Dave, shootdown

drinksgin (deceased)

Dave;
My eyes are not what they once were, either, I had to solder a silver bead on mine to be able to see the sights.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

jverbo2

Anybody know where I can pick up a bobcat, preferably for the price of $70?

drinksgin (deceased)

J2;
CVA has discontinued the Bobcat, you could go on some of the muzzleloading sites and advertise that you want to buy one, check the sell and trade segments on some sites.

shootdown

there is still a real good chance that walmart will have some left. and a 50cal will run about 56.00. I know they still have the bobcat in IDAHO! so check em out. whats the worst that could happen? they don't have one so you pick up some much needed fishing stuff!!! also, Cabelas have some pretty good sale . heres hopping you don't brake the tang off the back of the barrel like I did!!!

shootdown

also, check out ebay. still selling them there also.

bigblock455skylarkcustom

Quote from: RatherBHuntinThanks. My buddies suggestion was regarding this gun was to fill the stock with something, much like one of the posts in that thread mentioned, to tame the recoil. 6# seems a little light for a .50 cal muzzleloader, I guess this is due to the only 28" bbl and synthetic stock..

My brother has a CVA bobcat and the kick is due to the hollow light weight stock. Just add a good soft recoil pad. personally, i dont see why it would kick if you use round ball. Now if you use powerbelts then sure i can see the recoil being  a problem. My brother has owned the gun for 2 years and we still cant get it to shoot worth a hoot over 75 yards. i can shoot tighter patterns with my traditions flintlock off hand than what we can with a shooting rest with the bobcat. But really, if you buy a  gun for $50- $70, You get what you pay for. I know my first $60 inline muzzleloader was cool but when it came to hunting with it, It sucked!

RatherBHuntin

Nope, the roundballs don't punch at all, it's the 350 grain conicals over 100 gr of 3F that grab your attention.  Didn't see the need to buy a $25 recoil pad for a $50 gun, so the $0 sand worked just fine.  Plus, the recoil pad wouldn't fix the balance issue.  Mine shoots just fine at 100 yards.  In this case I got much more than what I paid for.  I've gotten a straight shooting muzzeloader, countless hours of enjoyment for my boys and I, and my brother took a couple deer with it.  On top of that it introduced me to black powder.  I'm completely satisfied with what I have.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

BuckWild3488

is it true you can only use the round bullets for the bobcat

RatherBHuntin

nope.  The rate of twist is 1:48 I think, which makes it  fast for roundball and slow for conicals.  It is a compromise so that it shoots OK for each, but not particularly great with either.  That said you will definitely find a load that will be more than adequate for hunting accuracy and velocity.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

drinksgin (deceased)

I have used both  patched balls and conicals in my Bobcat, the Lee REAL bullets did best.
I think RBH got a deer with his Bobcat and a Lee REAL last year.
Lee has a combination mold. a 320 REAL and a .490 ball, you could get one from Midwayusa for about $20.
I have found the best accuracy in my Bobcat with the REAL bullet, a good bullet lube and 70-80 gr 777, but this is MY rifle, yours may vary

BuckWild3488

ok i am lost... I just got a bobcat muzzleloader... and i have a miss fire...and dont no why or how to fix it can some one please help? the ball and powder is still in it and i dont no how to clear it please HELP!
Rick..

drinksgin (deceased)

Buck. first, did you actually put powder in it, don't laugh, it has been left out more than once.
Second, did you clear the nipple by firing  a cap before you started to load?
Third, unscrew the nipple and see if you can see the powder, if so, can you remove some of it with a toothpick and add some fresh powder, then make sure the nipple is clear, screw the nipple in and try again with a fresh cap.
There are screw point attachments for the ramrod so you can drive the screw into the ball and pull the ball that way, there is also a little device that uses CO2 and a pressure fitting similar to a tire chuck to pressurize the load through the nipple.
Relax, what goes in WILL come out, some way.

Tags: