Previous topic - Next topic

Which would YOU chose?

ragonslayer
0 (0%)
09S
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

JimIsbell

:stars:I thought I had made up my mind on a Sam Yang 909s.  But then at the last moment I got to looking at the Dragonslayer.  I should have just stopped looking when I was satisfied.

Now I am mulling over the two and trying to make a decision.  Maybe I should buy both??? Yeah, my wife would really go for that...#8-)  Hey, maybe an anniversary present of His and Her air guns...........no....don't think it would fly.

So the question I am asking is, why one or the other?  What are the pluses and minuses of each.

The points I am making to myself are as below.  BUT...they may be incorrect.  I may not have read the data correctly.  So I am asking for some help to make sure the data I am working from is correct.

1) the Dragonslayer has a larger slug (.50) so for the same MV would have a greater killing power then the slightly smaller (.45) 909S.  I dont know if the Dragonslayer can be souped up or not?

2) The 909S has a higher MV out of the box and can be souped up to even greater power so maybe it already has equal killing power and if upgraded to 900fps will have greater killing power than the Dragonslayer?

3) I havent the foggiest idea which is the more accurate, any ideas???

4) Since I will be mounting a scope it really doesnt matter that the Dragonslayer comes without sights.

5) The 909S is about 10% less expensive up front.

6) The accessories, tank, pellets/bullets are about equal in cost.

7) The game I will be hunting are, in order of my first kill, Coyote, Javelina, and Deer.  All are within the capabilities of both guns.

Any helpful insights would be appreciated.

Butcher45

Quote from: JimIsbell;104817:stars:I thought I had made up my mind on a Sam Yang 909s.  But then at the last moment I got to looking at the Dragonslayer.  I should have just stopped looking when I was satisfied.

Now I am mulling over the two and trying to make a decision.  Maybe I should buy both??? Yeah, my wife would really go for that...#8-)  Hey, maybe an anniversary present of His and Her air guns...........no....don't think it would fly.

So the question I am asking is, why one or the other?  What are the pluses and minuses of each.

The points I am making to myself are as below.  BUT...they may be incorrect.  I may not have read the data correctly.  So I am asking for some help to make sure the data I am working from is correct.

1) the Dragonslayer has a larger slug (.50) so for the same MV would have a greater killing power then the slightly smaller (.45) 909S.  I dont know if the Dragonslayer can be souped up or not?

2) The 909S has a higher MV out of the box and can be souped up to even greater power so maybe it already has equal killing power and if upgraded to 900fps will have greater killing power than the Dragonslayer?

3) I havent the foggiest idea which is the more accurate, any ideas???

4) Since I will be mounting a scope it really doesnt matter that the Dragonslayer comes without sights.

5) The 909S is about 10% less expensive up front.

6) The accessories, tank, pellets/bullets are about equal in cost.

7) The game I will be hunting are, in order of my first kill, Coyote, Javelina, and Deer.  All are within the capabilities of both guns.

Any helpful insights would be appreciated.

Buy the SamYang.  Adventures in Airguns has the best deal on them.

Not much ammo out there for the DS, and the lower velocity of the DS makes it less effective on game.  The DS can be tuned for more power, but not as much as the Sam Yang guns.

Whatever you get, get it powertuned.  Sooooooo worth it!

When tuned to their power-efficiency potential, you can get two tight shots with a 909S, and about 4, maybe even 5 with the 2tube/Light Hunter 909 before getting into the lower (and declining with each shot)) powered "finisher" shots on an airfill.

A tuned 909S can be dialed in to get about two shots that are more powerful than a tuned 2tube 909 with some boolits, then the shots are generally less powerful then the 2tube 909 guns' four or five shots. So you may have to use some holdover for shot three, and even more for shot four with the 909S depending on the range, boolit used, and size of your target.

If you are planning on taking only two shots on a fill of air using the same point of aim at any given time, particularly if you are wanting to use very heavy boolits (over 250grains), then the 909S would be the one.

If you don't want/need to shoot boolits over 250grains, and like having more shots per fill that all hit right where you put the cross hairs, with most any boolit 250grains and under, that will all punch thru a deer broadside at 50 yards then the 2tube 909 "Light hunter" is the way to go.

JimIsbell

I went with the 909S, and I think I am glad I did.  I have not yet fired it as I still dont have either a tank or a pump.  I am more than satisfied with the gun.  The craftsmanship is excellent.  I have some 215 grain pellets and on order are some 45 cal balls.

I have already convinced three people to get one just based on the craftsmanship of the rifle.  I havent been able to demonstrate it and yet they are clamoring for one.

I will wait untill the warranty (one year) is out before I do the power tuning as I dont want to modify the gun while it is still in waranty

Butcher45

Quote from: JimIsbell;105546I went with the 909S, and I think I am glad I did.  I have not yet fired it as I still dont have either a tank or a pump.  I am more than satisfied with the gun.  The craftsmanship is excellent.  I have some 215 grain pellets and on order are some 45 cal balls.

I have already convinced three people to get one just based on the craftsmanship of the rifle.  I havent been able to demonstrate it and yet they are clamoring for one.

I will wait untill the warranty (one year) is out before I do the power tuning as I dont want to modify the gun while it is still in waranty

Sweet!

Here are some ammo links for you.  Try to stay away from boolits harder than BHN10 or so to keep velocities up.  You also don't want anything smaller than .454  .457/.458 works well, too.  .457 roundball tends to work better than .454 RB.

Try some MaxiBalls (almost guaranteed accuracy with MaxiBalls), REAL's, Lyman #454424, EPP/UG's (awesome, awesome lightweight boolit), .45Slims (super-accurate), PRS250's.....my 909 shoots sub 1 inch groups at 50 yards off of steady stix all the time.

http://www.whyteleatherworks.com/Accessory%20page.htm (BHN 9)

http://www.dashcaliber.com/big_lube_1_15.html

http://www.bpstuffllc.com/index.htm

//www.cowboybullets.com

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=616817

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_99_311_313&products_id=1365

JimIsbell

In an air rifle is lube required??

Butcher45

Quote from: JimIsbell;105549In an air rifle is lube required??

No.  

Some black powder lube can actually clog your barrel up (this happened to me on a hog hunt, and cost me big time).  Some people like to use some sort of lube.  I don't use it at all.

Butcher45

You will want to keep your o-rings lightly lubed with silicone grease.  Don't use petroleum products in a PCP airgun.

Order one of these foster fill adapters ASAP.  It will save you grief down the road, and makes airfills much easier.  

http://www.adventuresinairguns.com/quick-release-adapter-careersam-yang-p-256.html

JimIsbell

Quote from: Butcher45;105554Order one of these foster fill adapters ASAP.  It will save you grief down the road, and makes airfills much easier

Why does it make them easier.  The probe looks like an ideal solution?

Butcher45

Quote from: JimIsbell;105561Why does it make them easier.  The probe looks like an ideal solution?

The Korean fittings are notorious for leaking, and o-rings wearing quickly.  Huge pain in the rear.  The foster adapter doesn't require o-rings.  Most of the people I know with a 909 have the foster adapter.....for a reason.

The Koreans really should listen to us, and ditch their poorly designed fittings for the foster adapter.  Someday.

Tags: