air gun for kids?

Started by crowkiller, October 14, 2011, 06:26:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crowkiller

I was in the garden with my oldest son (6 years) today and he shot for the second time in his life with a airgun. We used my 1980´s BSA Super Meteor, the guns spring in old and have lost a lot of power so it works fine for a 6 year old.
The targets was empty beer cans at 10 meters. He understod the iron sights and hit the cans now and then. The gun was resting on a table, I taught him  to aim and then touch the trigger and pull it.

The only problem was the long rifle stock. When I was young I had a Gamo cadet with a junior stock, I´ve searched but its gone.
His mother came and saw the shooting and she agreed to let me buy a junior stocked airgun for the boy (only to use under my supervision)

The time to act and order a gun is now before she realises what she done:laugh:

What is your choice?  It has to be a wooden stock, no plastic.

recoil junky

Quote from: crowkiller;116447The time to act and order a gun is now before she realises what she done:laugh:

Yeah Baby!! :grin:

Oh boy that's a tuff question. It should be something quick and easy that the lad can operate by himself, yet something that will last him for a good many years.

I haven't stayed up on air rifles so any advice I give would be pure speculation. Perhaps I will learn something here I can use later when it's time to spoil the grandkids.

NO, I don't have any yet, not even a future daughter-in-law, but I'm planning ahead!!!

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

Most of what RJ said. I just better not have any "daughter-in-laws" in my future.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Daryl (deceased)

I dunno what they make in "kid" sized these days.  Seems like such things have become less than "correct", so such things are sized for older kids.

When I was 6, I had a Sheridan Blue Streak that was a little tough for me to pump up.  I grew into it pretty quickly, though.  I don't think they're made any more, but Benjamin makes an equivalent in .17 and I think .22 caliber.  The Blue Streak was 5mm.

I have one of the Benjamins now, but don't have it here to be able to tell you the model number.  It's just right for those smaller garden pests, and is very well made and accurate.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Brithunter

Not sure if they are available in the US but Original make a Model 27 which is youth sized and comes in either .177" or .22". It's a traditional spring powered break barrel air rifle. I believe Weihrauch also make a junior model still. sadly BSA Guns are a pale shadow of what wan once and their spring guns are actually  Spanish El Gamo's and sort of styled like the BSA's were. I looked at a modern "Spanish" Air Sporter RB2 and it was ruddy awful.. Should have brought one of the original Air Sporters new when I chance :frown.
Go Get them Floyd!

Daryl (deceased)

Hi Brithunter,

Not to hijack the thread, but it's good to see you posting.  Hope everything is going well with that trouble you had.  Nobody needs that nonsense.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

crowkiller

I has been considering the Benjamin 392 but as the only place in Finland asks 280€ for it, it´s too expensive.
I found a Norica model 56 in 4,5 mm here for 99€. It´s a junior sized 600 mps rifle also sold in America as Beeman 600 (something like that)
Do anyone know this rifle?
Hw 25 would be nice but can´t be found in Finland.
I was first considering bb guns like the red ryder and marlin cowboy, but I read about bad precision and I don´t want to learn my kids to shot a lot of bullets and hope one hits.
If only one bullet is needed it would be best.

Daryl (deceased)

I had one of the Red Ryders at age 5.  Made me concentrate on the sights, that's for sure.

Once I learned safety and basic skills with that, dad got me the Sheridan.  Man, what a difference!  I didn't learn to "spray and pray" with the RR; instead, I learned the basics.

That said, there soon comes a time to upgrade with them.  They're anything but precise or accurate.

Daryl

RIP Linden33

crowkiller

Ok, I like to try a Red Ryder to (they are not common here)
I go with the traditional break barrel rifle. But some day I will order a BB gun

It was a rainy day today so I went with the boy to the nearest hunting shop and ordered a norica 56 for 99€. It will arrive next week but I guess it need a little tuning before it shoot straight. I´ll post some pictures of it and how it shoots later.
Here is a picture from the home page:

Tags: