New Owners for T/C

Started by Stryker, December 19, 2006, 04:47:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stryker

For those who haven't heard. Smith & Wesson has purchased Thompson Center.

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_98476.asp
- Mark

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wonderng if they made a difference. The MARINES don\'t have that problem."
- President Ronald Reagan 1985

nrthrn_maine_hunter

my jawdropped when I heard this.  Really not sure why, but it did.  Sounds wierd to me, they were having so much success, especially with thier new pro hunter!
Wonder what changes they will make.
God is Love!
Justin
Some things are real whether you believe in them or not!

Jay Edward (deceased)

I don't know how I feel.  I still haven't totally gotten over Smith-Wesson and the 'pact' signed with the Clinton Administration.

I like the T/C single shot centerfires.  Their synthetic-blackpowder shooting rifles leave me cold.

Stryker

I myself have really never been a fan of Smith and Wesson. I prefer a Ruger for a wheel gun. But I have always been a fan of T/C. I'm wondering how this is going to affect their lifetime warranty?
- Mark

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wonderng if they made a difference. The MARINES don\'t have that problem."

gitano

I wouldn't buy a TC product directly from TCA if they were the last firearms manufacturer on the planet. It's long story, but I have never in my life encountered such arrogant sons of bachelors as I did when I tried to get help from them with my TCR-83. The fact that S&W is retaining management and staff from TCA doesn't "do anything" for me. Furthermore, I'm with Jay 100% wrt to S&Ws cozying up to Clinton and the BATF. It is my opinion that S&W will sell the American firearms owner down the river faster than you can say Jack Robnson (or in England, "Bob's your uncle"). Since I own neither S&W products and only the TCR-83, I really don't care about this merger much one way or the other.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Stryker

Gitano,
I must say I had a different experience with T/C when I called them. When I was in the process of putting a fullstock on my Hawken, I lost a couple of screws. I called to buy them, and even told the lady it was my fault I lost them and she basically said that's nice, we're still not charging you.
- Mark

gitano

I'm not particularly surprised Stryker. I've heard the same from more than one other. However, the issue you presented to them was a "simple" one. Mine, while simple, apparently hit a nerve. It is how people/businesses respond to non-simple problems that reveals more of their true character than simple problems do. For example, I probably purchase 10 to 15 items a year from eBay. Before I consider bidding, I check the feedback of the seller, and I go immediately to the "negatives". I'm generally uninterested in the BUYERS accusations unless there seems to be a trend. However, I am keenly interested in how the SELLER responded to being poked in the eye by an irate buyer. The seller's repsonse to aggrivation tells a lot more about them than a ratio of 100 to 1 "psoitive" feedbacks to "negative" ones.

You can take it for what it's worth, but I am a very patient man when it comes to dealing with someone from whom I am asking service. After the first attempt to get assistance from TCA resulted in extremely rude response, I waited a week before "returning". Some times people just are just having a "bad day". In the second instance the conversation ended with the TCA representative - supposedly a "manager" - screaming and threatening to sue me. TCA sycophants will assume I "started" it. They are wrong. It was pure and simple, outrageous behaviour on TCA's part.

When I consider doing business with a company, I consider their general business philosophy as demonstrated by what they sell and how they sell it, and I consider how they respond when "things" don't go the way they want them to. TCA fails in both categories as far as I'm concerned. I'm quite sure my refusing to do business with them doesn't cause them any loss of sleep.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Stryker

Gitano,
You and I are a lot alike. I do the same thing if/when I buy something of of eBay or from an independent Amazon seller. Like you said I had a simple problem and it probably cost the company all of a buck-fifty to fix it.

I work in the financial industry and,  up until about 18 months ago, taught customer service to our phone reps. The T/C rep I spoke with would have gotten a high 90's had I been grading him, but you are correct though in considering how a company deals with a complex problem even though you may think it is simple. I've been in my job long enough to have seen 99% of the issues that customers have, so I rarely see a problem that can't be fixed quickly, but I have seen "less-experienced" people, both get defensive and argue with the customer or go running/crying for the break room.

Since I myself have never had an issue with them, I would not hesitate to recommend their products that I have had experience with. Which is their Hawken, Renegade and Omega (that I bought for my dad). From your past experience, I can certainly see why you would not. I think the point is moot now since S&W is taking over. I'm sure the Hawken and Renegades are going to disappear from their catalog (not enough traditionalist anymore) and I have heard through the grapevine the pro-hunter, G2 and Encore series may be curtailed as well. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
- Mark

Tags: