Cougar in manitoba !!!

Started by greywolf, March 25, 2008, 09:31:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greywolf

I have to find the picture , but it just hit news here that a 2 year old female cougar, was shot up around easterville here, there haven't been much in the way of cougar in many, many , decades here! and I assume where there is one, there must be more , since it was only 2 , the parents must be around somewhere as well don't ya think ? or , do they cover much ground ? I always thought they were territorial

M.
- Fire up the grill ! \'Cause huntin , ain\'t catch and release!

-www.torontothebad.com.... help us fight bad gun laws ! boycott toronto!

Daryl (deceased)

They are territorial to a great extent; the males have a much larger range than the females, too.  Much larger.

They'll also wander into new range in search of food, so you never know.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

greywolf

Is exactly what I have always thought, but , I have to wonder though, because the nearest province  where cougar still exist in numbers would be alberta, around 1000 miles from here! That would have had to be quite the wandering cat no? only other conclusion i can come to is that manitoba still has a few, since they used to range here to as late as the 50's , i'm guessing prob very rare here tho

M.

bowhunter 51

Seems to me an animal like cougar, is subject to great distance in a
short time span....They are popping up all over in areas in which they
are rare...or should I say rarely seen....my guess is they are the type of
animal that should you see one, might be ten....Just cause they typically
have a specific territory to range don't mean they can't be driven from
it or develope  non-typical behavior for any number of reasons....
Used to,......old-folk would get wide-eyed, tellin' about black panthers
roaming the woods around here in West Tennessee...ain't never seen one
ner' cougar either but don't mean it ain't within their ability....If'n I was
to see one tomorrow, I don't think I would be so surprised..................BH51..
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

greywolf

*cackle* I was looking up some more info , of all things on a subject of another thread in fishing forum about "tapeworms" , paul got me going on it ;) anyways it seems paul and I are both right about the whole tapeworm thing but that's another thread , to get back , whilst i was doing this i came upon a site that was dedicated to cougars , and it answered all my questions hands down , seems the cougar has come back to manitoba with a vengeance , over 50 sightings in the last 6 years with a culmination of a young female being shot in the duck mountain area and another female near stead manitoba, thing i didn't know was right after the first female was shot a farmer shot another young male about 60 miles from where the female was shot. and sightings are ever increasing. I think the cougar has been "missed" more so because of the large land mass and only 33000000 people in canada, versus 300000000 in the usa. the clashes are much less frequent here. also found that vancouver island has the largest population of cougar in all of north america (i lived on vasn isle for 12 years and only heard stories never saw one, but it was a regular occurance of young native kids getting mauled  by cougars. So anyways , looks like we gotta keep our eyes open more here now, especially with our  older parents and our kids around with us ,i understand they don't bother muchgwith healthy adults, but may go after kids and old folks (who am i to talk i'm getting old already ;)      )

M.

Tags: