Think we need a 'making stuff' thread...

Started by j0e_bl0ggs (deceased), May 04, 2012, 03:50:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Latest project, a Swaging die set to make my own .224 bullets from either 22lr used brass or bought jackets.

Left to right;

De-rim die and punch. (The 'form' is removable as I only wanted to harden that
rather than  the whole die body)

Floating top punch holder.

Core swage (squirt) die. (Bottom punch is in the press - not shown, too lazy to go get it...)

Core seat die.
Core seat hollow point punch.

Point form die.

Reality is cannot afford Corbin's current offerings and do not have a lifetime to wait for delivery!

Hey ho, make your own!

Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

Jamie.270

Wow!  Make your own, so you can make your own!

Totally cool. :)
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

gitano

It is VERY cool! j0e is no 'downstream' machinist.

I placed an order with Corbin 13 months ago. When earlier this week I asked what the status of that order was, you wouldn't believe - and I MEAN THAT - YOU WOULDN'T BELIEVE the response I got.

:lipsrsealed:I'm 'sneaking' up on j0e to make me some 8mm dies.:lipsrsealed: Don't tell 'im.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

Being both cheap and impatient, I almost always make my own most everything.
Corbin is noted for being just slightly faster than a glacier, just barely!

:(
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

gitano

There were four guys here at THL that could machine what they needed: Jay Edwards, LLANO John (John Talley), drinksgin, and Paul_Hoskins. Now there's another, j0e_bl0ggs. If these fellas can't make it, either you don't need it, or it can't be made.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

I think you are moving into a class by your self.
I do want to know, which makes the best reamer, air, water or oil tempered drill rod?
I mostly pore boy it by using grade 8 bolts as stock.
You forgot the actual professional , other than PH, BH.

gitano

I thought about BritHunter, but I didn't know if he was machining these days. He most graciously made a .50 cal. pilot for my RCBS case trimmer, so I should have included him in the list. No intended offence, BH.

We have an innovative and industrious group here at THL. Considering the size of the membership of  THL, I would say it is 'over-achieving'.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Quote from: gitano;120252:lipsrsealed:I'm 'sneaking' up on j0e to make me some 8mm dies.:lipsrsealed: Don't tell 'im.

Paul

No probs, just need to confirm some dimensions.
Turvey Stalking
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Quote from: drinksgin;120265I think you are moving into a class by your self.
I do want to know, which makes the best reamer, air, water or oil tempered drill rod?
I mostly pore boy it by using grade 8 bolts as stock.
You forgot the actual professional , other than PH, BH.

BTW I am an actual professional... :(
Engineering (Electrical and mechanical) is my job, things that go bang are my hobby.

Anyroad up,

Been using 'silver steel' (water hardening tool steel) here.
C 1%, Si 0.03%, Cr 0.40%, Mn 0.35%

Heat to 770-780ºC quench in water.
Temper @
120ºC - 65/63 HRc
150ºC - 64/62 HRc
200ºC - 62/61 HRc
250ºC - 59/58 HRc
300ºC - 56/63 HRc
350ºC - 54/53 HRc
400ºC - 50/58 HRc

Tool steel colour chart;

Hope this helps!
Turvey Stalking

Brithunter

Ahhh Gitano .................................... I am in kindergarten compared to the others you mentioned. No offence taken :daisy:

Our workshop is out of commission due to the floor breaking up and subsiding quite badly. We need to move all the machines left out and tear up the floor to lay a new one. One that is steel reinforced I should think. Some of our old machines weigh a ton or more  like the old 18" Shaper and the Victoria U2 mill plus the Holbrooke lathe..
Go Get them Floyd!

drinksgin (deceased)

Joe, the "professional " referred to a greasy handed machinist, not a pocket protector slip stick artist!!!

;)
I am an ex- professional inside wireman, general contractor, electrical inspector and racing motorcycle engine builder.
All are ex as I have been retired 10 years now, machining is one of my hobbies, started with a machine shop class in 1956 and I bought my first lathe in 1958,a 6"x 18" Atlas.
All the paying jobs were just to finance the fishing, hunting, camping, motorcycles , lapidary and machining hobbies.
Talk about overloading on hobbies!

gitano

I FINALLY got a "D" reamer to harden properly. I THINK my previous failures were due to using the wrong steel, even though the second time I was using 4140, which I thought should harden well. I was wrong. I have some confirmed O-1 "tool" steel in hand, and it 'behaved' as it was supposed to.

I'm fixin' to make 8x51 (8mm-08) and 7.92x33 Kurz "D" reamers for another couple of irons I have in the fire. Actually, I may have to make two of the 8x51s - one for cutting a chamber, and one for cutting a resizing die. Although, I may just buy a used .308 Win resizing die and ream the neck out as necessary for a resizer. I have done that before (.375x284 Win) and it works well. Fortunately, I found some Hornady dies for the Kurz cartridge.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Quote from: drinksgin;120284Joe, the "professional " referred to a greasy handed machinist, not a pocket protector slip stick artist!!!

;)
I am an ex- professional inside wireman, general contractor, electrical inspector and racing motorcycle engine builder.
All are ex as I have been retired 10 years now, machining is one of my hobbies, started with a machine shop class in 1956 and I bought my first lathe in 1958,a 6"x 18" Atlas.
All the paying jobs were just to finance the fishing, hunting, camping, motorcycles , lapidary and machining hobbies.
Talk about overloading on hobbies!

I took the English meaning...
pro·fes·sion·al

adjective

following an occupation as a means of livelihood or for gain: a professional builder.

Its' my day job!!!
Turvey Stalking

drinksgin (deceased)

As I said, to finance hobbies.

;)

Paul, the stripped Lee die set likely would cost less than buying a used regular set.

gitano

Mebbe so, but I'd try to get just a resizing die first. I can't find any of the Lee RGB die sets for less than about $25 PLUS S&H. I MIGHT be able to find a resizing die only for less than that.

Paul

here's one I found http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEE-RGB-2-Die-308-Winchester-7-62-x-51mm-Nato-90879-/110718814476?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c75b090c#ht_1059wt_911
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

They have really gone up, Midsouth has them for $17.50 plus sh, I remember them as $12.50.
Time flies and the prices rise like a loaf of bread.

:(

gitano

I was surprised when recently I started looking for RGB die sets and all the ones I found were above $22. Now most of them are even higher. I'd like to pay a grad-student to research and investigate the retail costs of "basic" firearms-related products over the past four years. And lest there be any confusion about my 'point', let me make it clear: I do NOT blame Barack Hussein Obama for this increase in prices. I SUSPECT that it is nothing more than fundamental GREED of those in the firearms industry. The idiot sheeple all got their panties in a bunch when Barack Hussein Obama was elected, and caused a "run" on items like bullets and primers. The manufacturers COULD have ramped up to meet the demand, but WHY? All they did was raise the prices BECAUSE THEY KNEW THE SHEEPLE WOULD PAY. Once "educated" with the brass/bullets/primer example, they just started raising prices and the sheeple continue to pay. "You" simply cannot believe how bad this is with respect to AR-15 and AR-10 parts. By ANYONE'S standards, it is OBSCENE price-gouging.

That said, we live in a "free-market" economy. There are no laws except anti-monopoly laws that prevent manufacturers AND "middle men" from raising their prices to "what the market will bear".

That doesn't mean that I don't think "they" aren't the scum of the earth.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

On reamers, what style of "D" reamer do you make?
I have used grade 8 bolts because they were available and worked , most of the time. You can re harden and re temper them and ,I have learned , should get at least RC 50 from one.
I recently had a free shipping over $50 offer from Enco, so I ordered 3' lengths of 17/32 " drill rod, A2, O-1 and W-1.
Now just need to try some.
From the tempering chart Joe posted, I can get the correct temperature in my electric oven for finishing a reamer, I had been using about the proper quenching temperature, dull red verging on cherry red and off into the oil, then reheat until the color just starts to change, looks as though that would be about 200` C.
I was pleasantly surprised at how reasonable the prices were on the rod.
Should have enough to last a LONG time at the 5" per reamer average usage

gitano

I'm not sure how to answer with regard to "style", Don. The last one that worked was made from "O-1 tool steel".

By the way... This is "just what the doctor ordered" for the 8x51 resizing die.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110872724339#ht_500wt_1415

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

A full 1/2 profile, a profile with a slightly more than 1/2 profile and a slight relief on the back of the leading edge or an undercut just  over 1/2 profile with a negative relief leading edge.
I have mostly used the 1/2 profile with no relief.
I have read the just over 1/2 profile with the negative relief usually gives the smoothest cut, have not actually tried it yet.

gitano

I don't have many under my belt, but those I have made for OTHER purposes than chamber reaming have been 1/2 cut, no relief. That is my intent with the chamber reamers.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking

gitano

True.

So you went with fluted instead of "D", eh?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Quote from: gitano;120350True.

So you went with fluted instead of "D", eh?

Paul
Yeah and broke it too!
Too hurried was the problem, next time will anneal it too!
Turvey Stalking

drinksgin (deceased)

Can't imagine why it broke!!!!
There is a reason for annealing.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Quote from: drinksgin;120354Can't imagine why it broke!!!!
There is a reason for annealing.

lesson learnt!

Truth is was just trying to finish quickly...had real jobs to do!

Next time an hour in the oven!!!
Turvey Stalking

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking

Brithunter

Now Joe,

Are these nice looking projectiles for practice and range use?

Or are they those weally horrible and DANGEROUS expanding ones?

The range/practice ones are safe of course but those Expanders ......................................................................  you have to watch them or they will jump right off the bench and have you by the throat. Nasty little buggers you know.

They must be or why else would the powers that be get so het up about them? Simple folks like me just thought they were normal lumps of metal!  It took the experts in government and the Police to set us all straight on that and just how lucky we were not to have been attacked by those weally nasty little things.
Go Get them Floyd!

gitano

Love the large meplat. Great looking bullet! I expect them to shoot straight and hit hard.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

22hornet

I tip my hat to you guys. :bowdown: Great stuff!

Ahhh, maybe on day in my retirement, a little lathe and mill, turning out all sorts of bits and pieces, just to keep me busy....
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking

drinksgin (deceased)

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Feed lead wire from top onto the black anvil (for length)....

Turvey Stalking

drinksgin (deceased)

Oh, a shear and gage, of course.
Having the shear arm to the side misled me a bit.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

22-250 with factory jacket home swaged bullet in home annealed case...

Time to rock n roll...
Turvey Stalking

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

great looking bullet Joe!!!!!:yes: God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Have a solution for Paul and his 8mm bullet jackets!
A die set similar to this to flare case mouth.
This set is for using rimfire jackets for a 6mm bullet - De-rim and flare.

Turvey Stalking

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Following on from the previous post, acquired a Lee classic cast press and decided to abuse it. Added a longer lever arm and found my butchered-for-something-else Lee hand press, thought it might make a reasonable extractor - save beating the everlovin poo out of the extract punch with a mallet. I had already removed the shell holder part for use elsewhere, (frame was sprung) so a quick drill and tap, machine a half nut and punch - bobs your knob, jobs a goodun!

Close up

Well the serious work starts now....making the 6mm dies!!!
Turvey Stalking

gitano

You'll  have to 'splain the operation. As I see it, the punch on the left in the picture in post #39 is below and "in" the hand press. Seeing the knurled aluminum knob below that, I am assuming the die in the middle of the picture in post #39 is inserted into the Classic Press, and the punch on the right in the picture in post #39 is 'coming up' from below via the ram of the Classic Press.

Is that correct?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Have not taken picture of core seat die as yet will do that when I have finished with the heat treating.

Here's a sample of fired brass, de-rim with swaged core and core seated + sized to 6mm. Bullet weight is 65g. The angled case looks a little kooky as it was used for setup of the core seat, should have saved a couple which were only half sized to show how it works!

Point form next...
Turvey Stalking

gitano

Looks good! I see the flared mouth on the lower right jacket. I assume the flare allows insertion of core into the .22 jacket and then it gets swaged out to .243/6mm?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

The punch that seats the core is a larger diameter than the 'jacket' so the flare gives the punch a 'start'.
Turvey Stalking

22hornet

Keep going. I'm watching with great interest...:yes:
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

OK, messing with the 6mm reamer...
Needed a shortish ogive as bullet looks to be quite short.
Will add seated core dimension when I remember to measure it!

Turvey Stalking

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

And finally the first samples...
6mm 66g

Turvey Stalking

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

A selection of 'setup and testing' 6mm's with a home made .224 in the centre for comparison;

Turvey Stalking

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

22hornet

Quote from: gitano;121111Outstanding!

Paul

+1 Well done. Nice big HP to open up too. :yes:

davidlt89

make some in .257 and i will test them for free!:smiley: God Bless.

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

gitano

Quote from: davidlt89;121126make some in .257 and i will test them for free!:smiley: God Bless.

:D:D:D:D

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking

drinksgin (deceased)

How difficult is it to buy lead wire in GB?

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

I have not found it easy to buy lead wire now that RoSH has begun to take effect.
It can be found but at a price - 8 SWG was £20 ($30) / 3 Kg or a 'gunsmith' quoted
£14 and change / kilo - OUCH!
I have a solution though, that is to draw down some 3/8 wire that I have for the 429's that I swage.
It is even difficult to find a decent flux today, all that is sold is a modern low residue flux which does not work very well!
Turvey Stalking

drinksgin (deceased)

This sounds as though it would lead to another project, involving a strong bottle jack and some extruding dies.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Got the t-shirt, have a 50 ton press in the workshop....only took 23 tons to break my modified (not very well thought out) extruder die  :eek:

I might make a die for the swaging press - plenty 30 or 44 cal lead bullets laying around!
Turvey Stalking

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Was thinking how to shoot off the bonnet ('hood' for you colonials :p) without marking the paint...

That'll do it...
Turvey Stalking

gitano

Did you make that, J0e-bl0ggs, or is that photo-shopped? Looks great!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

evilbay suction cups, deben gun rest...a little milling and turning and one gun rest for bonnet!!
It has around 20deg of side to side adjustable tilt incorporated.
Turvey Stalking

drinksgin (deceased)

I believe Harbor Freight carries that glass handling tool.

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Just to explain a little more - specially fer Cap'n Gitmo... photoshop...:eek:

Glass handling gadget has a hollow bore in the handle, so a small slot was cut to allow an M8 stud to poke out. The M8 stud is attached to a  3" length of nylon rod which fits snugly inside the hollow handle. On top of the handle you can see a silver 'saddle' this is just acting as a clamp washer to the rod which carries the rifle rest.

It is reasonably stable too without sliding around bonnet of car!
Watch out wascally wabbits...
Turvey Stalking

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Quick job for client who wants to wake his 'neighbours' up at Bisley!
I know he will love it!!!!

.30 cal for his Tikka T3

Will upset the elitist 'moderator only' numbnuts who seem to frequent there nowadays.
All I can say is IT'S A RIFLE RANGE - WEAR HEARING PROTECTION -Expletive deleted...
Turvey Stalking

Brithunter

As said in my other reply personally I prefer the flat type of brake with vents each side and maybe a couple on top. Should maximise the benefit to those either side on the line without bring the dust up from below the muzzle to inconvenience oneself.
Go Get them Floyd!

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Quote from: Brithunter;121731As said in my other reply personally I prefer the flat type of brake with vents each side and maybe a couple on top. Should maximise the benefit to those either side on the line without bring the dust up from below the muzzle to inconvenience oneself.

It's what the guy wanted!
Turvey Stalking

Brithunter

Go Get them Floyd!

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking

davidlt89

looks very nice my friend!!!!! God Bless.

gitano

I have two PERSONAL objections to muzzle brakes:

1) They are extremely loud, not just to the shooter, but to bystanders as well. I LIKE recoil mitigation, but when I weigh my PERSONAL values of 'taking' preferring a beating on my shoulder vs taking a beating in my ears, I make the PERSONAL CHOICE to not use them. While most muzzle brakes are NOW designed to reduce the auditory impact TO THE SHOOTER, they are a 'beast' to those near them ESPECIALLY at a rifle range. Also, in response to A LOT of complaints about the increases noise to the shooter, makers of muzzle brakes now assert that they have "designed" them so as not to increase noise: primarily to the shooter, but also to bystanders. Let me be unambiguous in my response to that: That assertion is a bald-faced lie.

Not only is there the extra loudness, there is a SIGNIFICANT shock-wave that the adjacent shooters are subjected to. Ear protection does NOT protect one from this shock-wave. (That wave is strong enough to knock over cartridges standing on the adjacent benches.) In my opinion, that is NO different than having someone with a self-loading firearm 'showering' me with ejected brass. It is simply rude.

2) It breaks up the aesthetic lines of a finely built rifle. This is really a very small issue for me, but when coupled with "1" above, muzzle brakes get a PERSONAL "no go" from me.

As a result of the above OBSERVED effects, either I can stand the recoil of a given cartridge, or I'll choose to use another cartridge or load. That's a PERSONAL choice, and I have no reason to expect ANYONE to make that same choice. The ONLY matter that IS NOT a personal matter is the "assault" at the range. "YOU", whomever "you" may be, do not have the right to "assault" me with the results of your PERSONAL choices. "Your" "rights" to do as you please end as soon as they impact me.

So for those that would choose 'ear-beating' to 'shoulder beating', I say 'fine'. Just don't assault my ears (increased noise) and face (shock-wave) without first warning me so I can leave the area.

All of that said, I think the ones shown here made by j0e-bl0ggs look good and are a good CHOICE for those choosing to use brakes.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

Quotethey are a 'beast' to those near them ESPECIALLY at a rifle range.
still have a hard time grasping going to a rifle range!!!! It is nice to have one at my house! But I realize some people have no choice. I can see having some etiquette if you are at one.
QuoteI think the ones shown here made by j0e-bl0ggs look good and are a good CHOICE for those choosing to use brakes.
I agree!!! I especially like the second one, looks sharp!!!! God Bless.

recoil junky

Like Paul I have two personal objections to muzzle brakes.

1. They are loud and obnoxious, 'specially at the range.

2. They are REALLY loud and obnoxiuos when hunting and your hunting partner touches one off about three feet from your left ear. TWICE!! Which is why you need to stand on my right when you talk to me, or if you are facing me I'll turn my head to the left to get my right ear so's I can hear you.

Other than that, Joe that looks smashing!

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

heehheheheehe! can'o'worms this one!!!

Gives me a warm feeling inside...:angel:

Must say though, on my 444 it did help control muzzle flip.
Moderator is better but not so easy for you guys to get paws on.
Turvey Stalking

gitano

Moderators - over here more often called "suppressors" or "silencers" - are a GREAT idea for 'taming' muzzle blast, and to a measurable degree, recoil. As you say, they are difficult - but not impossible - to get our paws on.

However, talk about "breaking up the lines of a finely-made rifle" - OY! Nothing like hanging an automotive oil filter off the end of your rifle to add to its "aesthetics".  I suppose if you taped it on with duct tape it could be worse.

Don't get me wrong, I LIKE suppressors for everything but looks. I think they just look BAD. Period. Here again we have weighing one negative - loud muzzle blasts - against another - "ugly". More often than not, mitigating loud noises  - a measurable performance phenomenon - over-rides an aesthetic consideration like the 'looks' of the firearm. Of course there are those that can talk themselves into the "beauty" of just about anything. Look at all those guys that like Lee Enfields. :D

No offence fellas. :) I just couldn't resist. :wings: I threw that in for levity, not an eye-poke.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

RatherBHuntin

Quote from: recoil junky;121798Which is why you need to stand on my right when you talk to me, or if you are facing me I'll turn my head to the left to get my right ear so's I can hear you.
 RJ

I have to turn mine to the right...

Shooting my AR the other day, which has a brake, the blast knocked over my spotting scope that was sitting next to me on the bench on a small tripod (granted it is real small and cheap).   Luckily I caught it.  When I take that gun to the range, I always make a point of it to sit at the far end and only shoot if no one is within a couple of benches of me.  I also wear double ear protection when I shoot that thing.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

davidlt89

I always use hearing protection regardless of muzzle brakes or not!!!! Maybe after 11 years of field artillery and "loud" guns, these rifles don't seem so loud! God Bless.

RatherBHuntin

Quote from: davidlt89;121802I always use hearing protection regardless of muzzle brakes or not!!!! Maybe after 11 years of field artillery and "loud" guns, these rifles don't seem so loud! God Bless.

I always wear headphone type protection, but when I shoot that gun I put plugs in underneath the headphones.  Not so odd, the ear I cant hear out of is my firing hand ear, since I was giving the visual command to fire with that hand I couldn't get a finger in that ear and didn't wear ear plugs cause I had to be able to hear the commands over the radio.  I didn't know I was not invincible at that time in my life.:cry:
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

gitano

For all the shooting I have done and been around in my life, it wasn't shooting that ruined my hearing, it was running large outboard motors without hearing protection for 12 years. Regardless of cause, hearing loss is annoying at the very least.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Quote from: gitano;121800Moderators - over here more often called "suppressors" or "silencers" - are a GREAT idea for 'taming' muzzle blast, and to a measurable degree, recoil. As you say, they are difficult - but not impossible - to get our paws on.

However, talk about "breaking up the lines of a finely-made rifle" - OY! Nothing like hanging an automotive oil filter off the end of your rifle to add to its "aesthetics". I suppose if you taped it on with duct tape it could be worse.

Don't get me wrong, I LIKE suppressors for everything but looks. I think they just look BAD. Period. Here again we have weighing one negative - loud muzzle blasts - against another - "ugly". More often than not, mitigating loud noises  - a measurable performance phenomenon - over-rides an aesthetic consideration like the 'looks' of the firearm. Of course there are those that can talk themselves into the "beauty" of just about anything. Look at all those guys that like Lee Enfields. :D

No offence fellas. :) I just couldn't resist. :wings: I threw that in for levity, not an eye-poke.

Paul

Might have tried if I had any left...
Turvey Stalking

recoil junky

Quote from: gitano;121809regardless of cause, hearing loss is annoying at the very least.

Paul

huh?

Rj
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

drinksgin (deceased)

Joe, you do know that duct tape comes in several colors and even in stainless steel, a bit of imagination and there is no telling what an enterprising person could come up with.
Seems most of the squalling cats and garbage raiding dogs only rate a 2 liter pop bottle and a quick wrap of , hold your breath, duct tape to retain it.
Doesn't everyone have a tinnitus symphony going on all day?
Large rotohammers can do a good job of ruining ears, too, not to mention 2 cycle motor cycles with tuned pipes.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Yeah nadgered my lugoles yeas ago... continual ringing in ears have to put on an audio book at night to get to sleep!
Bikes n shooting done it for me!
Turvey Stalking

gitano

Quote from: recoil junky;121811huh?

Rj

:D:D:D:D:D

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Brithunter

Depending on stress levels, blood pressure, amount of physical activity and even mood the tinnitus vaies from a soft constant rushing sound, like being in a big jet liner, to like it in this morning a high pitched pulsating squeal.

Shooting might have helped it along but working in engineering shops is what did it.
Go Get them Floyd!

buffalo bob

got my tinnitus and loss of hearing from working on jet aircraft whilke fighting ho chi minh.  i have a constant loud cicada chirping.

drinksgin (deceased)

But I do not really think it has anything to do with the problem of a wife hollering,"were you listening to me?"

;D

recoil junky

Quote from: drinksgin;121833But I do not really think it has anything to do with the problem of a wife hollering,"were you listening to me?"

;D

HUH??!

Please babe, would you let me drive. My neck is getting tired from trying to hear you over the road noise.

RJ

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

OK, a clients work in progress.
Thought I'd share!
I Know this does not look like your mill Cap'n Pug.... it has plenty swarf on it!!!

Turvey Stalking

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Nearly ready for a hot caustic black!

Turvey Stalking

davidlt89

excellent work, those are some lucky clients!!!!!!!! Can't wait till they are in the mail! God Bless.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking

gitano

Can't see pics. Apparently your photo server is down.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking

gitano

Clouds can't compute! ANYONE knows THAT!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

My apologies for being so dumb...

:p
Turvey Stalking

drinksgin (deceased)

It may just be inferior service to AK as I have them clearly here.

;D

gitano

I can see them now because the server is back up.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

did you take any pictures after the Hot caustic treatment? God Bless.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Nope, that has been done before and was in a rush to get em in the post!
Will  be nice to see pics of them mounted on their particular rifle...
Turvey Stalking

davidlt89

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Well made a brake for the '06 pleased with result at least the thread is protected now! Just need to cast a cart load of heavy 30cal stuff...

Also managed to nadger my drop tube for a Harrell's precision powder measure, sheesh when will I learn to leave stuff alone...
Anyroad, have been using SR4759 in my 17 Rem and found that the Harrell's was unable to throw a remotely consistent measure of this powder.
I was not a happy bunny so after a little research (RTFM) I read 'static problems' aha! So I pinched an earth bonding plug and lead from bruv (thanks Mickey) fitted said gear and began testing again - poo - same result really  really poor charge consistency.
Now after spilling a good tablespoon of powder on the bench I realised it was a 'bridging' problem.
The Harrell's drop tube simply just bridges with a coarse stick powder.
Quick trip to workshop to try and put a nice gentle cone into the perspex drop tube, yeah as I said nadgerd it.

Got to thinking this morning before work that I had received in a relief parcel, from a certain pirate, a nice Possum Hollow drop tube set which was fitted to my RCBS Uniflow - this drop tube never had a bridging problem apart from at the case mouth, which is easy to deal with, quick tap with finger - at least the full charge was visible at the case mouth and not hidden in the chamber of the measure.
Bit of aluminium later... hey presto! - a powder measure that now works as it should!!!!

Turvey Stalking

gitano

Outstanding as usual.

Still want to contact Harrell for replacement tube?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Quote from: gitano;121940Outstanding as usual.

Still want to contact Harrell for replacement tube?

Paul

Thank you Paul, no need to worry about it!
Will only give me same headache again!
Turvey Stalking

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Well.... took on board the comments regarding the radial holes and made a sideways one for the '06 in black;

Turvey Stalking

gitano

I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in hearing how that one performs in use.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking

gitano

Nice dies. This should generate some business.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Unlikely, guys just do not want to pay for them so it's a strictly for friends situation!
Turvey Stalking

gitano

I tried, once again, to get to a place in the administration that would allow me to create a new subsite, to no avail.

While this thread has been mostly about the swaging dies, it should not become "The" thread for 'making stuff'. As I pointed out in the "Parker Hale Unveiled" thread, no one is going to be particularly inclined to read through hundreds of posts to find a few on a specific topic. So...

While this thread could be locked to encourage new "making stuff" threads, that would stop the discussion of the swaging dies. Therefore, I would prefer just to encourage those that want to make posts about newly "made stuff" to start new threads.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: