Elk meat hunter/Nosler bullet performance

Started by MountainMafia, December 20, 2006, 01:06:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainMafia

Plain and simple I am a dyed-in-the-wool meat hunter when it comes to elk. I have shot more than my share of bulls, but now leave them for the paying hunters, trophy hunters and sportsmen. My excuse is that the cows are better eating. Never-the-less, my heart rhythm picks up when I encounter a nice bull in the woods.

This is a photo of my 2006 cow elk. The three and half year old cow was quartering away at about 150-175 yards. My 165 gr Nosler partition from my '06 entered her right side high at the diaphragm between two ribs. The bullet went through top lobe of her lungs and expanded when it hit ribs and shoulder on left side, leaving a larger than a silver dollar size hole in the shoulder flesh. It left a .40 caliber size hole in the hide where it exited. The cow continued on for about 60-70 feet before falling dead. I seldom recover Nosler partition bullets from the animals my son and I shoot.
...that\'s my story, and I am sticking to it

Hunterbug

That's a nice cow. Gitano and I went down to that area but spent most of out time farther north. I like Partitions too. I've only ever recovered one and that one hit the deer twice.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

m gardner

Nice elk. Partitions never fail. God bless and good hunting. Mark

nrthrn_maine_hunter

MM, gongrats, gteat story, and partitions are definately a proven bullet, shot a boar with one out of a 300RUM, only animal I have ever shot with one though.

Hunterbug, It hit it twice???????
Some things are real whether you believe in them or not!

M1Garand

Hiker

Congratulations on getting your wapiti. I've been using NP's for along time now and love em. They hold together really well and pack a punch.

Hunterbug

Quote from: nrthrn_maine_hunter;54681Hunterbug, It hit it twice???????

He was coming down hill towards me and I shot him in the neck and the bullet passed through the neck and then hit him again in the rump. He dropped on the spot.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

Niccolo Machiavelli

recoil junky

HB, that could only happen to you. :D I've seeen the 2 elk with one shot but never seen or heard of shooting one twice.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

davidlt89

Good job on the elk and it sounds like the nosler partitions are a proven bullet not just for you, but for a lot of people. I may give them a try. Godbless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Hunterbug

Quote from: recoil junky;54710HB, that could only happen to you. :D

Yup, pretty much. ;)

Niccolo Machiavelli

Brithunter

Thank you for the photos :D  this is all the hunting I am likely to get for a little while. You might have heard that it's shut down here in the UK due to freezing Fog :(  Only making absoloute unavoidable trips just now ;) .

Meanwhile I am storing all this information on Elk hunting for the day when I can try it myself .................... Hopefully ;)

Oh and congratulations on your Cow :D
Go Get them Floyd!

Tags: