Late Kansas hunt

Started by sakorick, January 26, 2016, 04:00:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

Cast of characters:
Rick(Lab Bela) and John(Labs Bailey & Annie), Linneus, MO., John's FIL Dwaine and his son Rob(no dogs), Unionville, MO., Pat(1)(Lab Ebony) Lanesboro,  MN and his son Nick(Lab, Bretta), Des Moines, IA., Eric my son(German Pointer, Dot), Pat(2) no dog and Tim KCK Lab Gauge. We have been hunting together since 1979. Pat(2) and Tim are Eric's buddies and new to the gang although I have known Pat(2) for 10 years and ice fished together many times. Nine guys all with different backgrounds now bonded together for the next 2 1/2 days known as the "Burr Oak Bunch".
Day 1: Missouri arrived at Mankato KS at 1155 and while checking in at the Dreamliner, KCK arrived. MN is already there. Temp is 26 overcast, wind SE @ 15MPH, 6 inches of snow on the ground. We get our hunting clothes on and head for Mark's house 7 miles West and 2 miles from the KS/NE line ( the dogs are getting excited). We find Mark at home eating lunch and he recommends several spots.  First day totals are 14 Quail and 8 Roosters, last picture.
Day 2: Weather is bad....freezing mist and fog, 19 degrees. Depart the Dreamliner and arrive at a spot we call the "half moon" with a fool proof plan. :D. I am blocking with Bela and drill the fist Rooster about 15 minutes before sunrise. Bela makes a perfect retrieve....I put out my hand and softly say give....she drops the Rooster in my hand....this is going to be a good hunt! The perfect plan goes bad as birds escape into the fog. We have hunted this spot at least 50 times with a foolproof plan......none have worked "as planned". Very few Quail out in this miserable WX! Second day totals 7 Roosters and 6 quail. The first picture is the Missouri connection's Roosters.
Day 3: Nick and Pat head back for MN leaving MO and KCK. Weather turns great, sunny low 25 high 35 wind south 5MPH. We all score birds and have a day to remember forever......shoot, every day afield is a day to remember forever! Third day total is 7 Roosters and 14 Quail. Grand total for the hunt 21 Roosters and 34 Quail. 10,000 stories of retrieves, points, gun malfunctions(it's hard to hit anything with an empty chamber:Banghead:), hits and misses and the one that got away. Dwaine is 81 now and next year we look to have the 3d generation along, new blood for the Burr Oak Gang!

Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

First, for our non-American friends and members, the "decoding ring":

MO - refers to the folks from Missouri, a state.
MN - refers to the folks from Minnesota, a state.
IA - refers to the folks from Iowa, a state.
KCK - refers to the folks from Kansas City, Kansas, the city on the Missouri River. The Kansas City on the other side of the river is Kansas City Missouri.
KS - refers to folks from Kansas, a state.
KS/NE - the border between Kansas and Nebraska (NE), a state.
Dreamliner - I THINK this refers to a travel trailer, but might be a hotel/lodge.
WX - Pilot speak for "weather".

Now that that has been decoded... (Are you taking lessons from drinksgin, Rick? :D )

Way to go! Glad to hear it turned out so well! It's such a joy to hunt over good dogs, and with friends and relatives.

Love the new (longer) beard!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

Nice haul, Rick. I'm glad for our secret Rick decoder ring. ;)
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

branxhunter

I didn't recognise you with the beard Rick.

Looks like a fun trip.

Marcus

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

Tags: