Standard Cartridge Series - 22 Hornet

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), October 09, 2004, 11:43:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Edward (deceased)

This is one of my favorite cartridges for reloading, hunting small game and an excuse to get another really slim rifle.  My loads are developed around the 45 grain bullet and H110 powder.

NUMBERFARMER

Here is one great cartridge for early spring praire dog hunting and shooting around peoples improvements. This cartridge is quiet and very effective out to about 200 yards on praire rats. I use a Ruger #1 topped with an old weaver 10 power scope for this cartridge and handload 40 gr V max bullets (Hornady) over win 296. This yields 10 shot groups at 100 yards that are 1.25 or less. At 600 rounds per pound of powder, you can shoot this one for about 14 cents per round. I have some 45 grain winchester bullets that seem to shoot almost as well, and they bring the cost down to 8 cents per round. 600 rounds for $84.00 and accuracy that is more than adequate to meet the need. A great little round with lots to offer and plenty of historical appeal as well.

I hope the next caliber posted is the 218 Bee since these are the two calibers that I carry together in the spring.

Hunterbug

I've always been interested in this round. There was one for sale when I got my 222 but since I wanted it for coyotes I went with the one with a little more umph. But I would love to have one of these in a single shot, say on a Martini Cadet action.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

CAfrica

Here is a picture of my 22 Hornet with a black springbok I shot last year.

the rifle is a Ruger 22/77, the heavy bbl varmint model.

I Load it with 45gr SP (PMP our local manufacturer) at 2500ft/s.

C

Jay Edward (deceased)

Great picture 'C'...I love it when the firearms are shown as well.

CAfrica

Thanks Jay,

The picture truned out better than expected, it was dusk already and I had to use the flash which caused some reflection off the bbl and scope.

Regards.

C

Tags: