".doc" file format problems

Started by gitano, February 10, 2005, 01:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

According to the "Manage Attachments" pulldown, the maximum file size allowed for the .doc type is 19.5k. I have been trying for the last couple of hours to get a .doc type file attached, and I slowly whittled the contents down to a single character. The file size was STILL 20.0k and the attachment "manager" won't let me load even that. Clearly the header info on a .doc occupies more than 19.5k, which means no .doc file could ever be attached.

Once the overhead of 20k is taken care of, I can include a subtantial amount of text with only minimal addition of memory necessary. For example, I can fill the page with text and only have a file size of 25k. Keep in mind that the single character "a" requires 20k exceeding the upper limit of that allowed by the manager.

How about a little help in this matter please.

Thanks,
Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Kit

is this what you had in mind?

testing...

Kit

or would you rather see it like this?

gitano

Thanks Kit. I see that those are images, not .docs. Did you print them and then scan them? Inquiring minds want to know. While I was always aware that that option was available, that wasn't really what I was asking about. The issue wasn't "Get it posted using any method", it was "How can I use the .doc format if the maximum size is below the overhead of .doc files?"

Also, your first response doesn't show so I can't choose between the "two", although the one in your second post is 'fine'.

If there is no other choice than printing and scanning, I can take care of that myself, but thank you for your time.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Kit

the first is a .doc and you click the file name -- it will give you a choice to view it or download it.

The second were made, not byu printing and scanning -- but by pushing the 'print screen' button, which actually does not "print" but merely copies it to the clipboard.  Then I open the photo editor and "paste" and voila!-- a simple photo edit sizes it.

When you said 'using a format THL will accept" I tried the image format -- the document I received was an image inside of a MS Word doc, which is partly why it took up too much space. for the forum. However, a list like that could be done in a table format or even in Excel -- or, yes, in notepad with the original data "tab delimited". But I wasn't able to copy it directly due to it being a 'picture' not a text document.

Did you make it up yourself -- entering the data?   -- or import it from a book or something?  (Now *I* am the curious one)

Still, let me know if you want to use this  for a particular purpose and this secretary can help again.
  Blessings
  ~Kit
  ~never hurt to keep skills up to date or learn new ones...

gitano

Quotethe document I received was an image inside of a MS Word doc, which is partly why it took up too much space.

Not really, since the same document with absolutely nothing but the letter "a" typed on it took up 20k.

QuoteHowever, a list like that could be done in a table format or even in Excel
What you got was part of an Excel spreadsheet imported into a Word document.

Quotein notepad with the original data "tab delimited".
Using that method created a file that was somewhere in the 50k range.

Quotelet me know if you want to use this for a particular purpose and this secretary can help again.
I'll let you know - thanks.

The fundamental question remains as far as I can tell.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Kit

Quote from: gitanothe same document with absolutely nothing but the letter "a" typed on it took up 20k.
MS Word does retain what you think you 'deleted' from it. Ya know thos 'undo' choices? well - in order to be able to 'undo' it has to keep the info hidden even though you thought you got rid of it!

MS Word is also spying on you and collecting personal data from your computer to retain in the document. This is also part of the 'overhead' as you call it.
  :confused:

Quote from: gitanoWhat you got was part of an Excel spreadsheet imported into a Word document. Using that method created a file that was somewhere in the 50k range.
If you e-mail that (original Excel Spreadsheet) to me I should be able to make it into what you want in a smaller file. I'm just still not sure exactly what you *really* do want!... which is why I was asking formatting and specific end-purpose questions :D

Quote from: gitano>>>The fundamental question remains as far as I can tell<<<

I'm sure it does. Could you rephrase it? I didn't see a 'question mark" on the original post and so I thought I was helping you get the info to THL --- but when I asked if you wanted it in plain text or needed special formatting I was left with my question open too.

;)

I've been through semester after semester of training with various software, but it's the end purpose that determines the method to be used.

I figger an independent guy like you wants to know how to do it himself - is that what you are after?
  Blessings
  ~Kit
  (who just loves mysteries and problem solving...*really* -- as long as it doesn't involve my dinner tee hee  :-)

gitano

QuoteMS Word does retain what you think you 'deleted' from it. Ya know thos 'undo' choices? well - in order to be able to 'undo' it has to keep the info hidden even though you thought you got rid of it!
Not if you close Word, reopen and start with a new file. [/size][/font]

Quotebut it's the end purpose that determines the method to be used.
Certainly most often, but not always. I don't mind skinning a cat a different way when getting the cat skinned important. However, sometimes it's how the cat is skinned that is more important than "is the cat skinned". This is one of those times.
[/size][/font]
The fundamental issue is:

Given that the Attachment Manager has a list of "allowed" file types, namely: "bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png psd txt zip" and;

Given that the maximum allowable size of a file of type "doc" is set at 19.5k and;

Given that the file overhead on a file of type "doc" created by MS Word is 20k;

How is one supposed to attach a file of type doc to a post?

My original question of, "How about a little help in this matter please?" was clearly too ambiguous. What I was hoping for was:

1) An administrator with sufficient access to the system to raise that limit to at least 25k, to do so. Since the max file size of the jpg file type is between 95 and 100k, the different file types clearly have different max values.

Or,

2) An administrator with "special knowledge" of the THL system to advise me on how to 'get around' the 19.5k limit while maintaining the .doc file type.

Thank you for your interest and help.
Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Kit

But I sent you a .doc at 15.9 k so why is there still a problem?

Dragonfly

Gitano.  I've never tried to submit a doc as an attachment but I have copied and pasted a file in doc format into the message box.

If your trying to put a doc file into the message box you have to click on the right button of your mouse.  Pick "select all" then click Copy.  Bring the doc file to THL in the forum you would like and click on the middle of the message box and right  click on paste.

If you don't want the entire doc file.  Use you left button on your mouse blue in the parts of the document you want.  Then right click, select all then copy and paste.

And I've had problems doing the copy and paste on a doc file because of the color of our forums.  The best thing to do if a doc is in only black and white is to print the doc out and then write into the message box.

And then there are doc files you cannot copy and paste from Microsoft.

The best thing to do with a doc file is to change it to a jpg file.   We have Roxio on our computer and you can send the doc to Roxio and change it's format.

Oh well, heck I'm confused now. :D

Let me give this a try and see what I can come up with OK?

This is a doc I change to a gif file.

Dragonfly

Well heck it's upside down!!!:D :D

Dragonfly

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled on Monday that police do not violate the constitutional right to privacy when a dog sniff of a vehicle during a lawful traffic stop turns up

I copied and pasted the above doc file Gitano.

Kit

Quote from: Dragonfly>>>Well heck it's upside down!!!<<<
Not any more, dear. (see below)
      :D

&Yes, thanks -- these which you offer *are* other options for getting the info onto here -- & thanks for helping too

HTH Gitano

Blessings
      ~Kit

Dragonfly

Thanks Kit!! And I'm not really sure it is upside down.  I was thinking about it and since I can't read old hebrew I'm not sure.  It's a portion of the Dead Sea Scrolls.

On occassion I go to the History Channel web site and do a little digging and if I find something interesting I keep it around in my documents.  

But it looks better the way you did it.  Upside down or right side up...that be the question???:D :D

gitano

Thanks Dragonfly, I just went the jpg route.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: