Homemade Gillie suit under $30.

Started by buckshot roberts, December 03, 2005, 07:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckshot roberts

You need this. I got it all for under $30.00 bucks at wal-mart.
1. Tube of Shoe goo
2. hammock (for netting)
3. 9 Yards of Burlap.
4. 1 box of Green Dye.
(NOTE it depends on your size on how much Shoe goo, Dye, and Burlap that you need, but you can still do this under $50.00, I made 3 of these this year.)

You need to Dye the burlap and Netting, I did not dye the netting because It would not show up on the pic.

I used One of my Old camo, hats,shirt's and pants.
You need to take the hammock apart, Now lay it out on the floor, Now take the camo shirt, lay it face down, and cut the net, as the pic shows, now take the Goo and put a dab on about evey other square,across the shoulders, down the sides, and about ever 4 inchs down the back, now when goo drys turn over shirt, (you can do all the front, I just go down half way, most of the time I'm lay'n down when turkey hunt'n) just cut the net up the middle, were you button the shirt, glue it the same way, now lay the arms out, and cut the net to were it hangs over 2 inch on both sides, and about 4 inchs from the cuff, now glue it to the shoulders  along the top, and side, about ever other square, Now if you won't to use a hood,( it depends on how big, or little you are) cut a square, anywhere from 20-30 inchs, and glue it to top part of back and shoulders,( I use a boone hat) (you can use a ball cap), the shirt is done for now, the hat just cut the net so that it hangs over 3 inch all around, glue this the same way.Now the pants just cut as the pic shows, glue the same way, if you wont to do the front, the same also, just cut to over lap the sides.
Now the hard part, cut the burlap into strips about 1 1/2 wide and 1 foot long, now start at the bottom of the pants or shirt,and loop tie or just use a  knot, at avery other sq, when you get one roll done just start the next one over one sq, just don' tie burlap on every sq, you can but it would take a lot of it and this well get heavy, this is what it look's like.
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

sav17

hey buckshot were,d you go,thats a great idea looks the business as well might just try one of them myself,i got an old green boiler suit that might just take kindly to that treatment.Be great for ambushing fox.;) you take good care now,............................your friend Richie

gonna have to find a uk version of shoo goo though:D
happiness is a critter in the crosshairs

buckshot roberts

;) Sav17, Thanks, I've made 3 this year, just to give them to guy's i know that turkey hunt and man do they work, If and when you do , and you have any trouble just e-mail me or pm, and I 'll help you. Yep they well work on Fox's ans SQ's, I'd like to try one for deer, but may get shot, LOL, Yuo can sew it on or ckeck to see what kind of glue you have over their thats, used on clothing, I got the pants done the next day.
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

12 gauge

Well i made mine from strips of old t-shirts i've had over the years that don't fit me anymore. I used chicken wire i had from my garden, old clothing to put the wiring on, and i used the hot glue gun to put it on...

It turned out pretty good, i need to take out some whites and greys but overall it's not bad (not good either...)

Here's pictures, i've only got the pants done, i am now working on the hat (picture) the hat i feel will be finished before tomorrow...

Pants:

Hat:

Then after the hat i will work on the body, i swear the pants themselves weigh at least 10 pounds!!!

oh and btw, i spent NO money!! :cool: Woohoo!

Then again i also tore up some shirts...:( but oh well! :D

God bless :cool:
"I only hunt and fish on days that end in \'Y\'"- 12 gauge

buckshot roberts

;) 12GA, hey that is an outstanding gillie suit, I like the old army pile cap, you have done a good job on it, lookout turkeys.

12 gauge

Lol thanks BSR!

I've got the cap and pants done, and now working on the shirt, i should be done COMPLETELY by this weekend.

Next suit i make will be more blended in with the forest, we've got tons of populars out here (trees), and i am thinking of making a suit that blends me in well with the popular trees. For example, that grey that i have on the suit, looks just like populars! Grey and white mixed in...

Either that or i will go along with just an ordinary black and brown and green leafy suit.

buckshot roberts

12ga,   You got the idea on how to make one, and you have done a very good job, get'n the blend right is part of it, here in the spring it's   like an OD green,    with some light green, with brown.

12 gauge

Yeah,

Here in the spring it is a mixture of green, brown, black, and all kinds of different things...

Mainly i want the suit wearable for the fall and winter because that is when the hunting season is. Plus the suit will keep me warm during the cold days afield...

Like i said i will take a trip to my stand and find a place where i could possibly set up, and then i will get the colors and textures needed for that spot imprinted onto my suit...

Hopefully then it will look better than this one...

Tags: