1903-A1 Conversion

Started by Stryker, December 31, 2004, 08:09:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stryker

This has to be the most unusual conversion I have ever seen. A 1903-A1 converted to a bullpup design. Found it on Gunsamerica, the auction # is 976456994 if you want to check it out. The seller indicates the conversion was done in the 50's or 60's. Has the bullpup design been around that long. Whoever did it, did an excellent job look the woodwork. Asking price is $600

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976456994.htm
- Mark

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wonderng if they made a difference. The MARINES don\'t have that problem."
- President Ronald Reagan 1985

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Stryker,

Yep, this particular stock design I remember first seeing in the late 50's.  One of the students at the gunsmithing college I attended was building one of these, circa 1960-61.  The one shown in the pic you posted is the most elaborately decorated I have ever seen.  You gonna buy It?

Ol' John
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

Stryker

Quote from: HondoJohn6508Stryker,

Yep, this particular stock design I remember first seeing in the late 50's. One of the students at the gunsmithing college I attended was building one of these, circa 1960-61. The one shown in the pic you posted is the most elaborately decorated I have ever seen. You gonna buy It?

Ol' John
Someone already has the sale pending. I had just never seen a conversion like that. Are there any benefits to it? Seems to me working the bolt would be more difficult.
- Mark

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wonderng if they made a difference. The MARINES don\'t have that problem."

Jay Edward (deceased)

Guys I just know that somewhere I have a picture of an '03 in a bullpup configuration lying in the middle of a paratroopers 'kit'.  I haven't found it yet but I will.  So far...all I've been able to find is a picture of an '03 as an experimental bullpup but that isn't exacactly what I'm looking for.  I'll get back to this sometime.

buckshot roberts

That's the first one i've seen for a bolt rifle, someone had kit's back in the 80's for m1's min-14, and some for the mos 500, Yep you seen all kinds of stuff on G&A, who ever do the wood work did a very good job, Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Jay Edward (deceased)

Ah Haaaaaa!  I couldn't remember what the thread was when I found the image.  Here it is from WW II.

Hunterbug

That looks pretty heavy to me. There's alot of wood on that stock.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Jay Edward (deceased)

Perhaps the custom bullpup is heavier but I tend to think that the military version is lighter than the standard '03.  Don't forget the magazine space is still there and the stock had to be hollowed out some to install the trigger... from the back it would seem.

The military version was part of an attempt to rearm the paratroopers.  I believe that OAL was important (but they already had folding stock firearms)... however, I tend to think that weight played a large part as well.

If you like, I'll put up an image of a WW II paratroopers 'kit'.

Stryker

I agree Jay, it may have been an attempt prior to the war to supply the paratroopers with a lighter rifle. It was probably abandoned when the M-1 Carbine was issued starting in 1938. The book, D-Day; The story in photographs tells some interesting things about what paratroopers carried during Operation Overlord. The 1903 Springfield was there.

"The Airborne Divisions which would invade Normandy from the air in the early morning of D-Day were specially trained and specially equipped divisions. In addition to the regularly issued infantry rifle equipment, Airborne troops also generally carried automatic weapons and sub-machineguns. The standard issue equipment for a parachutist rifleman included the M-1 Garand rifle with 8-round clip, cartridge belt with canteen, and four hand grenades. Other items specific to the paratrooper included a parachute and pack, antiflash headgear and gloves, pocket compass, machete, .45 caliber Colt automatic pistol, flares, and a message book. The equipment for an Airborne rifle grenadier was similar to that of the rifleman except the rifle grenadier was also issued a set of binoculars and six high explosive detonation grenades. The rifle grenadier was also usually issued a 1903 Springfield rifle or a Thompson M1 submachine gun in place of the Garand rifle."
- Mark

buckshot roberts

Stryker, good pic,  Yep how about the H&R model 50, and 55, I don't know if the M3A1 grease gun went airborne, anyone ?. Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Tags: