Pheasant hunting

Started by Hunterbug, November 25, 2018, 08:21:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunterbug

Our pheasant season started in the 10th and so far I have been out four times. This is Rebel's first season and his progress has been amazing. I am pretty new to pheasant hunting so this has been a learning experience for me too. The first trip we saw nothing. Rebel wanted to run around like crazy. He finally settled and started hunting but there were no birds to be found. The second trip ended with no birds seen but netted a nice whitetail buck. The third trip we saw about 10 birds but no shots or birds. This brings us to yesterday. My buddy invited us to go with him on his family's property. We must have seen 100 birds. Most flushed out of range but we ended up with 6 birds for 6 hunters. We also missed a lot. The wind came up around noon and trying to hit a bird that has a 25mph tail wind is challenging. But Payton managed to bag one. Rebel worked hard and is really starting to get it. I am looking forward to Gitano coming out in a few weeks.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

sakorick

Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Hunterbug

Here's the buck from our third trip. The car in front of us hit it and we grabbed it. There was some meat lost but we still got a good amount. We are the tenderloins that night at Karl's house and they were really good.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

Niccolo Machiavelli

Hunterbug

Quote from: sakorickExcellent!

Thanx. I'm doing a lot of scouting for when you guys come out.

Niccolo Machiavelli

Jamie.270

Holy cow y'all!  That's some FLAT country ya got there!

Good job on the birds.
A good bird dog is entertaining when there's birds, even when nothing gets bagged.
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

sakorick

Quote from: Jamie.270;152017Holy cow y'all!  That's some FLAT country ya got there!

Good job on the birds.
A good bird dog is entertaining when there's birds, even when nothing gets bagged.

Jamie, Eastern Colorado is just an extension of Kansas!:grin:
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Hunterbug

The dark area where Rebel is pointing is actually a pit that's about 15 feet deep. Two roosters came out of it. It's amazing at the places those things can hide.

Niccolo Machiavelli

Jamie.270

Quote from: Hunterbug;152020The dark area where Rebel is pointing is actually a pit that's about 15 feet deep. Two roosters came out of it. It's amazing at the places those things can hide.
That's no joke.
I've seen a full grown rooster pheasant hide in a tuft of grass you couldn't conceal a soccer ball in.

"What the heck is she holding on?  There's nothing there but a tuft of,..."  Bang!
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

Jamie.270

Quote from: sakorick;152018Jamie, Eastern Colorado is just an extension of Kansas!:grin:
Oh I know.
Despite knowing that, when the horizon stretches away into infinity, it always sets me back a notch or two.

gitano

A better look at Payton, her bird and her dog.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

It always makes me warm inside to see youngsters hunting & fishing. Especially a young lady with a smile from ear to ear holding her prize. Sometimes birds are there sometimes they ain't. It's always fun when they are. ......Paul H

Hunterbug

Quote from: Paul HoskinsIt always makes me warm inside to see youngsters hunting & fishing. Especially a young lady with a smile from ear to ear holding her prize. Sometimes birds are there sometimes they ain't. It's always fun when they are. ......Paul H

I am truly blessed that my girls love the outdoors.

Niccolo Machiavelli

JaDub

I am truly blessed that my girls love the outdoors.

Gee  I wonder where they got that from ………… ??

Tags: