Finally got it done!

Started by davidlt89, November 21, 2021, 05:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidlt89

So it has been a long haul for my middle son this hunting season. He drew a doe permit and I wanted to get him out as much as I could so he could fill it.
Pretty much, this has been after school on Thursday's and Friday's, on my days off. The first week it was just Thursday, which was not bad because we did not hit the time change yet, so we had 2.5 hours.
After the time change, we only had about an hour and a half on each night, which is tough.
The first night out we saw two does on posted property. The second time out we didn't see anything. The third time out he got a hard shot at a buck that was over 200 yards away and almost back to us. The fourth time out we saw 3 deer, one was this big girl. He got a shot but there was a ton of fog and again right around 200 yards, no dice.
The 5th time out, he got a chance to redeem himself at this big girl again. We first saw her over 300 yards away. we managed to creep in and cut off 100 yards on the shot. We set up the steady styx and the rest is history.
This doe weighed in at 165lbs dressed, pretty impressive. I did not think she weighed that much but I knew she was heavy.
The gun in question was my Remington 700 XCR RMEF 7mm mag loaded up with 160gr Nosler Accubonds.
I have one happy kid now and some more meat for the freezer....God is good.

garett deer by David LeTourneau, on Flickr

garett deer 2 by David LeTourneau, on Flickr
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Hunterbug

That's a nice doe. Good for him.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Jamie.270

Congratulations to Garett!

And great job Dad, for keeping the tradition(s) alive in the next generation.
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

gitano

I didn't see this post until today. Congratulations �� Garett! Nice deer!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Nice doe.....some good eatin' there!
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

branxhunter

Tags: