BSA .22 hornet?? Never heard of these

Started by branxhunter, November 09, 2015, 10:00:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

branxhunter

From one of the local used gun sites here in Australia:

https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=66309

Have you ever seen one of these Brithunter?

Marcus

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

farmboy

Looks alright and the barrel should be in decent shape a 22 hornet should be easy on a barrel.  Could be fun for you to try. I have a 22 k hornet that is quite nice to shoot.

Brithunter

Hmmm the stock either has been butchered or it's not the correct one. The BSA Hunter launched in 1953 was available in .22 Hornet then .22 Rem. It was offered with a couple of stock syles :-

That is the slightly later Regent model. The Hunters should have the name engraved into the left wall of the action. The Regent shown has the European stock with Schnable fore tip.

Now looking at the photo more carefully I doubt that is a BSA at all. The bolt is wrong as is the magazine. Parker-Hale did a drop mag that looked a little like that but on checking the catalogues it's not one of those either. The pistol grip reminds me a bit of a Savage.

Hope that helps.
Go Get them Floyd!

gitano

I'm kinda surprised at the price. I was expecting at least twice as much.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

farmboy

Quote from: gitano;141918I'm kinda surprised at the price. I was expecting at least twice as much.

Paul

That's what I think it would be cheap to try and play with and if you don't like it should be easy to sell. Looks like most of the other varmint guns are way more money. The only problem with my idea is all the other stuff needed dies she'll plate brass.

branxhunter

Quote from: Brithunter;141912Hmmm the stock either has been butchered or it's not the correct one. The BSA Hunter launched in 1953 was available in .22 Hornet then .22 Rem. It was offered with a couple of stock syles :-

That is the slightly later Regent model. The Hunters should have the name engraved into the left wall of the action. The Regent shown has the European stock with Schnable fore tip.

Now looking at the photo more carefully I doubt that is a BSA at all. The bolt is wrong as is the magazine. Parker-Hale did a drop mag that looked a little like that but on checking the catalogues it's not one of those either. The pistol grip reminds me a bit of a Savage.

Hope that helps.

Your killing me with that photo - beautiful rifle.

I too thought Savage from the shape of the stock.

Marcus

gitano

Quote from: BranxhunterYour killing me with that photo - beautiful rifle.

:biggthumpup:

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Brithunter

Quote from: branxhunter;141927Your killing me with that photo - beautiful rifle.

I too thought Savage from the shape of the stock.

Marcus

It took me years to find one in .222 Remington then look what happened. Of course I saw several nice ones come up after I acquired this one as often happenes. Have been considering applying for a new FAC the quandry is what of my collection to I put in for??

The .222 would be a good pick as it can be used on the range with FMJ or HPBT target bullets and soft points for game. Would love to get the Medwell & Perritt 30-30 again of course but I still own so many nice rifles it's hard making the choice.

That is an early try out with it and a handload. It shoots quite well that is Five shots BTW .......................... not Three..
Go Get them Floyd!

farmboy

sakorick

Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

farmboy

branxhunter

Who me? No, I was just interested in finding out about what I thought was a BSA I wasn't familiar with. It looks like it is a Savage that has been mis-advertised

A Google search on Savage 22 hornet found a number of images similar to the one I first found

[ATTACH]14156[/ATTACH]

Marcus

sakorick

Looks like a Savage Sporter model with a ugly Birch stock.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

farmboy

Quote from: sakorick;142031Looks like a Savage Sporter model with a ugly Birch stock.

A truck gun.

Tags: