sambar deer

Started by GRYPHON, September 05, 2009, 10:27:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GRYPHON

Having been out hunting a few times recently my freezer is full,I still keep hunting though..how can one stop?

This is a sambar maiden  hind  (F)  the tasty type and fat as a seal too.

Fieldmor77

And why should you stop!, life's too short to think of such things, good onya, looks like a few more feeds there :biggthumpup:.

GRYPHON

too right! I hammered this one  a few days later. I owed a few blokes venison for past deeds done and its a great way of paying them

Jorge in Oz

Plenty of meat on those sambar.  Nice deer.

Well done.
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

Alboy

Now that I have seen a picture they look a lot like what we call Sika here on the exotic shooting (read that not indigenous), are they related?
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Brithunter

Hmmm not 100% positive but I seem to recall that Samba are found in the Indian sub continent and up into Asia. Sika, known here in the UK as the Whistling deer, come from S.E Asia and Japan. Samba I also believe are larger and their antlers are of finer grained  material so it's sort after for the making of Knife handles etc. I do not know if they interbreed like Sika and Red deer do :confused: .
Go Get them Floyd!

GRYPHON

Size difference is immense with some big bodied sambar stags hitting the 700 pound mark, they are way bigger than  the sika and no they cant interbreed.

We dont have sika in Australia,we have Red deer,Rusa deer, Chital (axis) Hog deer,Fallow deer,and there are Wapiti and Wapiti red hybrids in areas and of course Sambar the king of them all.

I posted a stag  pic in the firearms section.

davidlt89

QuoteI still keep hunting though..how can one stop?
I don't think it has ever been tried! Nice deer! 700lbs is big for anything. Biggest things here are moose. Not uncommon at all to get a bull in the 700lb mark. some dress over a 1,000lbs. Just so happens the state issued me a permit this year so hopefully I can show you a nice bull!!! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

jesusgecko

You get wap's in Australia as well?  Never knew.  Which parts we talking?
Normality is for the weak.

GRYPHON

Well the wap`s were originally released into NZ from the  JH herd  and they found their way to Aus in the 80`s via NZ as to purity I dont know but I do believe personally that they were infused with  some red deer blood also.

They have escaped or were illegally released in parts of Victoria and New South Wales  from my knowledge,there could be other places that I am unaware of too.

jesusgecko

Aaaaaaaaah.....must be some of the "supposedly" pure bred ones they took out of the Fiordland hunting area in the '80s while shooters got rid of all the reds and definite hybrids,  so we would have a pure bred herd.  All of a sudden, the government started saying it was illegal to release them back where they came from (non native animal),  so they then started looking around for areas they could legally release them.....but kind of accidentally forgot about them.  There's a LOT of bad blood surrounding it.

kombi1976

Governments being underhanded......I don't believe it.
How could you suggest such a thing........  :rolleyes:
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

jesusgecko

I know!!!  Perish the thought!!!

22hornet

Two sambar in one week!:eek: There are plenty of guys who go years without even seeing one.

Well done. Nice pics.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

GRYPHON

Without blowing my own horn I have done way better than that,I like to take pics of sambar most of the time now.

Tags: