Downside to pighunting.

Started by jesusgecko, July 01, 2009, 01:21:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jesusgecko

A customer of ours went out pighunting with his cousin and their respective dogs.
The dogs bailed quite a nice boar,  so the cousin went down to deal to it with his .357

Bullet riccocheted off the boars skull and went straight between the dog's eyes.  

You often hear of dog's being ripped and roughed up by the pigs themselves,  but I can honestly say I've never heard of this happening before.  Obviously all involved are absolutely gutted!!!
Normality is for the weak.

TackyDriver

I'm sorry to hear that happened, JG. That sucks like air through a gaping chest wound. I hope your customer doesn't feel guilty, just sad about losing the dog. You couldn't possibly calculate the odds of that happening. If you could, the chance would be so small you'd need a microscope to see it. I hope that your customer isn't permanently soured on pig hunting in the future.

BTW, during the latter part of WW2 the Germans redesigned the mantlet on their tank destroyers to better deflect enemy shots. The mantlet is the part of a tank's armor where the cannon barrel passes through. The original designs were slab sided boxes that were bolted together. The new design was a cast and welded piece that was curved. The Germans called it the Sauskopf because it resembled the head of a pig.
It would be a shame to waste a perfectly good mistake by not learning from it.

jesusgecko

He's still keen by all accounts,  but toying with the idea of getting something which fires a heavier pill.  Although in saying that,  it seems like a once in a million thing,  so won't happen again?
Normality is for the weak.

gitano

Angle-of-incidence is probably more important than bullet weight. Shooting in close quarters is always VERY dangerous with respect to ricochets and pass-throughs. This is not the first time I have heard of an incident similar this.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: